• I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

Of kites & things terra incognita. Who knew? :unsure: [:hi:]

As High As a Kite: UFO's As Flying Playthings @ The UFO Chronicles

The third video shows a 'Revolution' type stunt kite with 4 (quad) control lines, that's how it can do the things it does.

http://www.bigmikeskites.com/Revolution/1.5SLE/Rev15.html

Hi Laurie :wave2:

Love the videos at your link. Oh that I had $300 to burn. :please:

Of the third video you mention at my kite UFO link the Author says this:

Beginning at 0:58 of this short film one can see gravity-defying aerial movements that, if they were piloted craft, would break bones. If such a craft were aloft a couple of hundred feet above the earth at night and lit properly with LEDs, it would instantly wind up on YouTube and millions would “believe.”

My hat is off to you turtle, that was a great link and has altered my perception of many UFO sightings...

Glad to be of service. :cap: I give myself a 2 aliens dancing rating. :alien_dance: :alien_dance: Now if only Nick Pope and his ilk are following too and getting some understanding of how devious and skilled we kiters really are then I would give myself a 4 alien-dance rating.

I think it's worth repeating a story I have told before as it well makes the article's point about how long this mistaking-a-kite-for-UFO business has been going on. To whit: Some 30 years ago I was at the International Kite Festival in Long Beach Washington and talking to an old kiter in his 70's. He told me about how he and some buddies had put a kerosene lantern in a big box kite and then towed it behind a Tin Lizzie back in the 1920's. They had the community in an uproar for weeks. Mind you UFO's were a thing even then and these fellas jolly well knew it. (1920's UFO reports here)

As to the current era, there is this recent news grabbing kite stunt from my very own hometown. >> Vancouver Washington UFO hoax I'll just quote a bit to take a poke at an "expert" and leave you to read the rest of the story on your own(s). :jab:

...Peter Davenport, the director of the National UFO Reporting Center, first gave an opinion that the object spotted on February 21, 2011, was the star Sirius.[4] Being the brightest star in the sky, Sirius is more likely to exhibit twinkling, color-changing effects.[5] However, after viewing video of the object, Davenport later remarked: "I don’t believe it was a star. The object moved off. Stars don’t do that."[6] ...

As the late Jack Horkheimer always said, keep looking up! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

That is a possibility Turtle as her wiki says that she went to Europe in 1988 before meeting her first husband in Australia.

Aha!! That clinches it. Already with MOD since '85, in his new association with Xena he quickly saw the advantages of show business over MO business. :o :lol:

Perhaps Monsieur Pope is such a kite-as-UFO denialist because he in fact hoaxes UFOs using kites in order to promote job security. :ph34r: Perhaps. Stranger things have happened. The thot plickens. :alien_dance:

Edited by Turtle

• 1 month later...

Spring has sprung and UFO faking...erhm...kiting season is here again. I haven't been out to fly yet in part because I need to find a new flying field (something nearby me hopes) and part due to weather. Plenty of wind today, but off-and-on heavy rains and possibility of thunderstorms associated with it. Egat Brain! :weather_storm:

On an operational note, I removed all my personal photos from the Gallery due to technical difficulties, so any posts here that contained them will be downdrafted. :lol: Anyway, I'm using Flickr now and if anyone absolutely must see something that's missing just tug my line and I'll get it flying again.

Also, wer fliegen Drachen wird in diesem Jahr?

Hi Laurie

I didn't wake up dead today and that is good enough. I looked for some kite news earlier and your story, well no story, was forthcoming so your post is most welcome. G'donya mate!

My weather is not as cold & icy as 90% of the country but no winds to speak of so no personal kiting glory to report. I'll update as conditions allow. Meantime, here's a photo of your guy and related article. Good times. >>

Polar ExplorersWeb

PS: Geoff's blog

Hrmmm.....looks like here! 

I've never really been into flying but once I was in San Juan Puerto Rico and they have a really big open park high on some cliffs and people love to fly there. It was a lot of fun watching people do tricks and fly huge kites!

Well Sir, you really better get into it now! :lol:

Hrmmm.....[Antarctica pic] looks like here!

Well Sir, you really better warm up now! :lol:

Damned if I know how to imbed a Flickr video so a preview displays. :doh: No matter; a link will have to do. This is a short video of me dropping a baby from a kite by parachute. :omg: She hardly cried at all. :cry:

https://flic.kr/p/mrEhXK

• 3 weeks later...

Warmin up slowly here, the ice has finally broken on the lake but still covers most of it.  Was the first time in years that the lake froze completely over. Temp swings are wild, Had a day where the temp went from 20 to 75 to 16...of course those wild swings make for good wind...a bit much really as I've already lost two kites and had a third collapse under the strain.

Today, not so promising...tis sad really as I've found yet another spare I stashed away. :( 

Warmin up slowly here, the ice has finally broken on the lake but still covers most of it.  Was the first time in years that the lake froze completely over. Temp swings are wild, Had a day where the temp went from 20 to 75 to 16...of course those wild swings make for good wind...a bit much really as I've already lost two kites and had a third collapse under the strain.

Today, not so promising...tis sad really as I've found yet another spare I stashed away. :(

Things getting pretty mild temp wise here but our winds are only coming with our rains. I guess I could make up a few wildflower seed packs for a future drop while I wait.

If you fish you could try using a kite to take your rig far out from shore. That could be some reel fun and add to the allure of kiting. :doh:

:hihi:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_fishing

Kite fishing is said to have been invented in China. It was, and still is, used by the people of New Guinea and other Pacific Islands- either by cultural diffusion from China or independent invention. Kites can provide the boatless fishermen access to waters that would otherwise be available only to boats. Similarly, for boat owners, kites provide a way to fish in areas where it is not safe to navigate such as shallows or coral reefs where fish may be plentiful. Kites can also be used for trolling a lure through the water. Suitable kites may be of very simple construction. Those of Tobi Island are a large leaf stiffened by the ribs of the fronds of the coconut palm. The fishing line may be made from coconut fibre and the lure made from spiders webs.[1] Modern kitefishing is popular in New Zealand, where large delta kites of synthetic materials are used to fish from beaches,[2] taking a line and hooks far out past the breakers. Kite fishing is also emerging in Melbourne where sled kites are becoming popular, both off beaches and off boats and in freshwater areas. The disabled community are increasingly using the kites for fishing as they allow mobility impaired people to cast the bait further out than they would otherwise be able to.

I knew I'd heard of kitefishin before. :D

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

• 3 weeks later...