• I fly a kite once every 60 years
    • I fly a kite once every 40 years
    • I fly a kite once every 20 years
    • I fly a kite once every 10 years
    • I fly a kite once every year
    • I fly a kite once every month
    • I fly a kite once every week
    • I fly a kite once every day

getting the camera eye to point straight down is likely the easy part...requiring only a ballasted two axis pivot and some shielding from the wind....will have to check if cheapy digicams eyes are hard mounted or connected to the main board by ribbon.

Simple is as simple does I suppose. It wasn't clear to me if you were planning to point straight down or not, especially when you earlier mentioned getting more sea & land in a shot. If you want both, with a straight-down cam you have to be more-or-less directly above a shoreline. I suspect a straight-down shot over nothing but sea and you'll have no reference in the shot to use with your field-of-view figure. Unless maybe you catch a passing boat, but then you have to know its size.

As to shielding, I suspect you mean some aerodynamic shape? Even so, it's added weight & drag. You can't get out of the wind, and if there's no wind there is no kite flying.

Keep in mind too that you plan to be nearly 3 miles away from whatever object or feature(s) you plan to use as reference for the altitude calculation, so it's going to have to be something fairly large.

None of my objections are insurmountable, but having done this a bit myself I know they are certainly factors you must consider. I'm on you side after all. :)

I was thinking Presque Isle might be the ideal...or just as good Eaton Reservoir (friggen spell check I was right to begin with!!!) which covers 89 acres. Though a flight over Lake Erie while a freighter is within range could prove helpful...especially as there is a site which shows all up and down bound great lakes traffic....check which freighter is in the pic look up her specs...badaboom badabing, a large object clearly visible from great distances with known dimensions :) There's a harbor in Barcelona that would work quite nicely as well....lots of fishing trawlers and a tallship...as well as a large breakwater and dock of known dimensions....biggest advantage to Barcelona ZERO airports close enough to worry about and only 20 minutes away.

As to shielding, I suspect you mean some aerodynamic shape? Even so, it's added weight & drag. You can't get out of the wind, and if there's no wind there is no kite flying.
I was thinking of making a new kite with an airfoil shape and mounting the electronics at the center of balance of the kite....was thinking painting dropcloth (the cheap clear plastic kind) heat bonded and shrunk over a bamboo dowel frame. I dunno....found a 35000 ft digital altimeter for not a huge amount of money, I might treat myself...probably the easiest route, it's small light, has temp and barometric correction...I dunno...with the winds of fall and winter coming I need to decide on one path and stick to it.

I was thinking Presque Isle might be the ideal...or just as good Eaton Reservoir (friggen spell check I was right to begin with!!!) which covers 89 acres. Though a flight over Lake Erie while a freighter is within range could prove helpful...especially as there is a site which shows all up and down bound great lakes traffic....check which freighter is in the pic look up her specs...badaboom badabing, a large object clearly visible from great distances with known dimensions :) There's a harbor in Barcelona that would work quite nicely as well....lots of fishing trawlers and a tallship...as well as a large breakwater and dock of known dimensions....biggest advantage to Barcelona ZERO airports close enough to worry about and only 20 minutes away.

I was thinking of making a new kite with an airfoil shape and mounting the electronics at the center of balance of the kite....was thinking painting dropcloth (the cheap clear plastic kind) heat bonded and shrunk over a bamboo dowel frame. I dunno....found a 35000 ft digital altimeter for not a huge amount of money, I might treat myself...probably the easiest route, it's small light, has temp and barometric correction...I dunno...with the winds of fall and winter coming I need to decide on one path and stick to it. [/size]

Sounds like a plan Stan. :thumbs_up I've packed up all my gear so I will be living vicariously through you. :daydreaming: 2.25 inches of rain in my bucket in less than 24 hours and it's still falling. :rainumbrella: 100 year old records already falling over at the coast not to mention trees all over. Had a rain break & some strong winds yesterday & briefly considered riding to the field to try the now Conyne'd Matilda. Thought better of it when the thunder rumbled through. :weather_storm:

Onward & upward! :piratesword:

Edited by Turtle

My mentor and favorite employer has passed

I will miss him, his vast knowledge of nearly all things of interest to me and boundless patience always made for hours of pleasant conversation during the days labors.

Geza Gruenwald, 94, passed away after a brief illness on September 26, 2013.

He was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1919, a son of Julius and Martha Gruenwald.

He had over 40 years of service in the field of polymeric chemistry and plastics, and just earlier this month presented a paper, "The Periodic Table of Elements Goes 3D" at the American Chemical Society's national convention in Indianapolis.

He earned a doctorate in engineering from the Technical University, Berlin, Germany. He held various positions in the development and application laboratories with Hoechst, Germany, and the General Electric Company, where he was on the team which developed Lexan.

Following his retirement, he became a plastics consultant and a licensed professional engineer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He also served as an adjunct faculty member at Gannon University and the Pennsylvania State University – the Behrend College.

He authored two textbooks, Plastics: How Structure Determines Properties and Thermoforming: A Plastics Processing Guide.

He was honored as Man of the Year by the Society of Plastics Engineers in 1982.

His hobby was agriculture and he enjoyed raising sheep and managing a stewardship forest in North East and Greenfield townships.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Marianne Gruenwald. He leaves a daughter, Claudia Mosso, and grandson, Brent Mosso.

He was a member of Luther Memorial Church, the American Chemical Society, the Society of Plastics Engineers, the Erie Stamp Club and DANK.- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/erietimesnews/obituary.aspx?pid=167199349#fbLoggedOut

Providing there is no intervening clouds, haze or mist. How would you support a timed camera with the required battery on a $2 plastic kite of 3 1/2 ft span? Why not use the same method of measuring altitude that you used to fly the $2 kite to the claimed 11,320 ft? I'll have to hire you to conduct my record attempts as I think you should be able to fly our 20 ft kites to 40,000 ft. I have 50 km of the thinnest, strongest and most advanced line in the world.
A comment from an Email from an avid readerof my insane writtings elsewhere...bare in mind I claimed an estimated not outright claimed...and did include a full explanation of the process of getting to the number

Wonder if I orta take him up on his offer

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Providing there is no intervening clouds, haze or mist. How would you support a timed camera with the required battery on a $2 plastic kite of 3 1/2 ft span? Why not use the same method of measuring altitude that you used to fly the $2 kite to the claimed 11,320 ft? I'll have to hire you to conduct my record attempts as I think you should be able to fly our 20 ft kites to 40,000 ft. I have 50 km of the thinnest, strongest and most advanced line in the world.
A comment from an Email from an avid readerof my insane writtings elsewhere...bare in mind I claimed an estimated not outright claimed...and did include a full explanation of the process of getting to the number

Wonder if I orta take him up on his offer

There's other places to write insanely? I need to get out more. :rolleyes:

Seize the opportunity by the throat dude!! :piratesword: There is no more joyous glory than the joyous glory of risking the expensive toys of someone else in the pursuit of joyous glory. Ehm...it was like that when I got here. :shrug: :rotfl:

There's other places to write insanely? I need to get out more. :rolleyes:

Seize the opportunity by the throat dude!! :piratesword: There is no more joyous glory than the joyous glory of risking the expensive toys of someone else in the pursuit of joyous glory. Ehm...it was like that when I got here. :shrug: :rotfl:

:rotfl: I dunno, I think i'd really be tempted were I convinced he was not being sarcastic.......but then.....he really seems interested in every conceivable detail of my kite flying exploits....though I suspect I amuse him...

:rotfl: I dunno, I think i'd really be tempted were I convinced he was not being sarcastic.......but then.....he really seems interested in every conceivable detail of my kite flying exploits....though I suspect I amuse him...

If he's a professional, he's interested in stealing your glory. Ergo, my seize by throat admonition. ;) Work from the inside and don't trust him any further than you can throw a bull by the tail. :ninja:

• 3 months later...

Hi Turtle, good to see you back and hope you had a good one too.

I was just reading in the paper today that a local guy, Geoff Wilson, beat the record for the fastest solo unsupported crossing of Antarctica by 10 days and he used a foil kite whenever he could to pull himself and his load along.

Hi Laurie :wave2:

I didn't wake up dead today and that is good enough. I looked for some kite news earlier and your story, well no story, was forthcoming so your post is most welcome. G'donya mate!

My weather is not as cold & icy as 90% of the country but no winds to speak of so no personal kiting glory to report. I'll update as conditions allow. Meantime, here's a photo of your guy and related article. Good times. :thumbs_up>> :read:

Polar ExplorersWeb

(By Correne Coetzer) Australian solo kite-skier, Geoff Wilson, arrived at his end destination, Hercules Inlet (80ºS) on January 4th (Chilean time). He did a traverse from Novo Base via the Geographic South Pole and covered nearly 30 degrees of latitude.

PS: Geoff's blog

Edited by Turtle

Of kites & things terra incognita. Who knew? :unsure: [:hi:]

As High As a Kite: UFO's As Flying Playthings @ The UFO Chronicles

In fact the lowly and unconsidered kite may account for a hugely substantial number of such sightings throughout the world - and for well over a century!

A review of the hidden history of kites -and an investigation into today’s secret world of high technology kite play- is insightful. It shows that from the Great Airship Mysteries of long ago to present-day flying saucers and black triangles- kites have played a role in the phenomenon until now not fully appreciated. Kites must now rank with balloons, remote-control aerial toys and CGI in their ability to deceive even the most discerning when it comes to things UFO.