Science Forums

Chemistry of Paint & Pigments

Turtle

___The painting I mentioned as a study in red & green in post #10 is done but not finished, and I have attached a very nicely blurred & distorted video still of it below. I deviated from my usual Katabatak palette, substituting red for black & green for red; the image is the base three Katabatak Multiplication table in four orientations & four scales on a square matrix.

___While I meant to discuss the chemistry of the paints, it now seems to me the chemistry of the brush bristles plays a part as well. The new brush I bought & discussed earlier (OK badmouthed) has inspite of a lousy handle, some very different bristles as compared to my first set of brushes; this brush seems to shed the paint quickly & cleans up with just a couple swishes in water. Both brush styles have nylon bristles, so the chemical nature of the nylon must differ. Interesting...

Beautiful!!! I would assume that the red and green blocks in each section are the same size, but the red ones appear to be larger (to me), even though there are more green blocks. What an interesting effect! I wonder if it has something to do with the test where an optometrist lets you decide if you read letters better on a red or a green background. What does this say about my eyesight? :)

Beautiful!!! I would assume that the red and green blocks in each section are the same size, but the red ones appear to be larger (to me), even though there are more green blocks. What an interesting effect! I wonder if it has something to do with the test where an optometrist lets you decide if you read letters better on a red or a green background. What does this say about my eyesight? :)

___Thank you Chacmool.:eek: Yes, in each quadrant the blocks are the same size. You bring up an interesting point on the optometrist, particularly since red & green are usually the colors color blind people don't differintiate(sp?). I picked red & green because I thought I might have the painting done by Christmas. I really have no idea what these paintings will look like when I start them, rather I follow a rule set & algorithm to produce them. My slight advantage is that I get to see them develop & change as I complete them & I am the first to get to see them.

___Maybe some folks with more knowledge in vision & color will post some commentary?:)

• 1 month later...
___The painting I mentioned as a study in red & green in post #10 is done but not finished, and I have attached a very nicely blurred & distorted video still of it below. ...

The painting attached to post #35 is 24"x30"; I am told to mention that.:)

The new brush ... this brush seems to shed the paint quickly & cleans up with just a couple swishes in water. Both brush styles have nylon bristles, so the chemical nature of the nylon must differ. Interesting...

I use the paint as it comes from the tube & work round with one color at a time & paint a whole level so to speak. Having used all but one color with the new brush & coming round to black, I found I needed to wash the brush with soap. The black is still in it some after washing. I can't decide if the brush is just wearing out or if the carbon black pigment is interacting differently with the bristles. Red is next so if it washes out, then it must be the carbon black eh?

Nothing more comes to mind.:hihi:

This remains one of my favourite threads. :lol:

Turtle, in #31 you make reference to a guy who makes his own paints, just like the old masters. Have you ever tried mixing your own paints from scratch? What kind of materials would one need? You mention walnut oil, and I think I also once saw egg-yolk being used in mixing paints. How would the colours be achieved? Did they really - dare I say it - use crushed beetles? Would flower petals provide any colour? I imagine saffron could be used for a nice yellow? But what about all the other subtle hues? :eek2:

This remains one of my favourite threads. :eek:

Turtle, in #31 you make reference to a guy who makes his own paints, just like the old masters. Have you ever tried mixing your own paints from scratch? What kind of materials would one need? You mention walnut oil, and I think I also once saw egg-yolk being used in mixing paints. How would the colours be achieved? Did they really - dare I say it - use crushed beetles? Would flower petals provide any colour? I imagine saffron could be used for a nice yellow? But what about all the other subtle hues? :eek2:

The program I saw on him simply showed him taking powdered pigments from barrels, and they never specified their source(s). As far as I understood, he used the same pigments whether he made oil paint or acrylic.

I understand crushed beetles continue in use as pigment in lipstick & other cosmetics, but I don't know about paint. In general the pigments derive from mineral sources & compounds manufactured from them, e.g. the cadmium in the red, orange, & yellow I use.

I think flower petals will just fade to brown, wheras the saffron is the flowers' pollen.

Grinding colored rocks to a flour then mixing with a binder ought to give some subtle hues. I have used a medium size mortor & pestle to grind up ore samples; it's a lot of work but does the trick.

Nice as always to hear from you Chacmool.:wave: When I finish my current goal I will post an updated photo of the painting(s).:lol:

... Having used all but one color with the new brush & coming round to black, I found I needed to wash the brush with soap. The black is still in it some after washing. I can't decide if the brush is just wearing out or if the carbon black pigment is interacting differently with the bristles. Red is next so if it washes out, then it must be the carbon black eh?

Nothing more comes to mind.;)

I painted with the cadmium red yesterday & the paint washed out of the bristles completely with just a few swishes in water. The slight black stain remains from the carbon black, but didn't seem to bind any red. That is all.:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

I have come up to the final color in this stage, & it is Green. Just so, I have to mention dear Buffy, as I will be painting with green on 2 paintings. Phtos to come in the next week or two.

Sorry if the post seems off topic; blame it on brain chemistry!:eek2:

I have come up to the final color in this stage, & it is Green. Just so, I have to mention dear Buffy, as I will be painting with green on 2 paintings. Phtos to come in the next week or two.

And THAT was post #100,000 folks.

Congratulations on getting the 100 000th post! (and well done to EVERYONE at Hypography, of course)

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to seeing the next painting, Turtle!

• 4 weeks later...

Painting fell behind for a bit, but picked up the last week. Attached photos of works in progress, having finished another level on the more complete painting.

Next level begins with white, and as titanium dioxide is the pigment in my white paint it is interesting to note titanium dioxide is an approved food ingredient. Surprised me a bit when I found it on the candy sprinkles!:dead: So if I slip to the lip just a bit wit da brush, to the emergency room I won't have to rush.

Chemartistly,

Turtle

BEAUTIFUL!

:eek:

Your kind & thoughful word has resulted in a neuro transmitter cascade in my brain resuling in muscular contractions of & about my lips & eyes & commonly referred to as an ear-to-ear-grin.:) Your kemical kinness is its own reward.:hihi: