Science Forums

Chemistry of Paint & Pigments

Turtle

If want quality without price, go to a local paint store. Buy tubes of universal pigments and some latex tinting bases. Make your own colors. Two quarts of base give you 16 4oz colors. You can mix with glazes for transparencies or some venetian plaster for thickening.

Artist paints, like boat paints are expensive because they cater to a narrow market. But they use the same materials as house paint but a double to triple the cost. Trade secret.

___Thanks Hydrogen! I intend to check out the paint store. It may still make more economical sense to buy artist paint if I don't paint very much or only paint relatively small canvasses. I intend to also look into buying raw canvas & pine boards to make my own large canvasses.

___Thanks also Chacmool! I have 1 finished painting, 1 done but not finished, & 1 new underway; I have to think about a photo still. :lol:

___Until I need the space, here is a photo of the finished painting; I sacrificed detail for scale. No title, but if anyone asks I say the style is cubist impressionism. :)

PS Going to the Gallery with it; maximum file size for attachments now reported 19 KB. BRB with link. :)

:lol: http://hypography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=469&c=3

___How kind of you to say Chacmool. Watching a show on PBS today on art, I now want to do the pattern(or some similar) as a wall using colored tile. Just to keep it chemically pigmented, I assume the same minerals in large part constitute the pigments in firing tiles as in tinting paint? Of course I still won't put the tiles in my mouth :hihi: .

___Onward with color! :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
Today I received some misdirected doll & went for bier, tobacco, new canvass & paint. I bought more green from a different manufacture but with the same title "Permanent Green Light"; I don't know yet if it has a lumpy polymer, but it lists these pigments:

Chlorinated Copper Phthalocyanine & Benzimdazalone Yellow

Turtle Out

___Lately I have neglected the painting, but as I spent 10 minutes at it today, I recalled commenting on the new tube of Permanent Green Light. The new tube is as much 'runnier' than the average as the old tube is 'chunkier'; it requires at least 2 coats for the dpeth I want. Maybe the first tube was old & the polymer chemically changed in the tube? Will my paints all go chunky if I don't use them in X amount of time?

___I have thought about painting the back of the canvas in a dark color to deepen the look of the colors from the front; anyone ever try/use this technique? :)

Paints have solvents and driers in them. These will evaporate out so the polymer and pigments can dry and cure. These thin the product making coverage less or opacity less. Once the tube is open they begin the evaporation/drying/curing. You can add the solvent back and it will thin back out.

Coloring the canvas background with a base color leads to cool effects that can take advantage of paints that don't cover so well. A dark green background with a semi-opague light yellow-green will make the light yellow-green appear more brighter and more yellow with whispers of deeper green trying to haze through. The base green fools the eye and appears to wash out the green in the lighter green.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

___The painting in progress; http://hypography.com/forums/gallery...c=3&userid=796 uses a new color, Ultramarine Violet by Golden Acrylics.

makeup: Polysulfide of Sodium-Alumino-Silicate/PV15 & 100% Acrylic Polymer Emulsion; Lightfastness I; conforms to ASTM D 5098

Health & Safety notice from tube: Based upon toxicological review, there are no acute or known[italics theirs] chronic health hazards with anticipated use of this product (most chemicals are not fully tested for chronic toxicity). Always protect yourself against potentially unknown chronic hazards of this and other chemical products by keeping them out of your body. Do this by avoiding ingestion, excessive skin contact, and inhalation of spraying mists, sanding dusts, and concentrated vapors. Contact us for further information.

The finished painting is out of my city on loan:

http://hypography.com/forums/gallery....php?i=469&c=3

I have so far used the colors only as they come from the tube & worked on just one painting at a time, but now I have laid out a new canvas & it's promising to keep me in the pink I think.:rolleyes:

Wow, that's really cool. My dad paints quite a bit and he recommends Golden Acrylics (like your ultramarine violet). Apparently they have a nice feel to them but he doesn't paint in the same style you do so I dunno if they would suit you. They are rather on the runny with partial seperation between the pigment and water/solvent but once mixed they are awesome.

Good luck,

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, that's really cool. My dad paints quite a bit and he recommends Golden Acrylics (like your ultramarine violet). Apparently they have a nice feel to them but he doesn't paint in the same style you do so I dunno if they would suit you. They are rather on the runny with partial seperation between the pigment and water/solvent but once mixed they are awesome.

Good luck,

Thanks P-man. The second tube of Permanent Light Green I mentioned is from M. Graham & Co. & last week I watched a PBS Art Beat show on that company. They are in West Linn Oregon, just a few miles across the Columbia River from here. They showed the guy making his paints & while I use acrylic he makes oil paints too, but with walnut oil like the old masters. The Graham is a better consistancy in this Permanent Light Green than the tube of Golden.

The newest painting started is pink/magenta, burnt orange, emerald green, & royal blue metalic triangular base five katabatak multiplication table in six orientations. I bought some royal blue fine jewel glitter to mix into the blue paint; no ingredients listed on the label. (Mark Enterprises a division of Stampendous out of Anaheim California)

I bought a new 1/2" chisel tip brush; $6! It looked like a plastic handle, but I left it in water & the wooden core swelled & chipped off the thick paint coating that deceived me. The ferrule's loose on it too now, but I like the bristles so I just don't soak it anymore.

I painted 10 minutes today, some ultramarine violet the first time in a week.:hihi:

Wow, Turtle! This is gorgeous! I'm so happy that you are sharing your wonderful paintings with us. It's quite exciting to see the elegant combination of colour, light and mathematics.

___Thanks Chacmool! My motivation in unpdating my progress is 90% rooted in increasing your happiness charge as you have so graciously done for me.

___If I haven't commented yet, someone mentioned lead in paints; lead is not listed as an ingredient on any of the paints I have used.

___I started thinking about what chemical reaction may occur as a result of mixing paints. A potential for a reaction perhaps when mixing wet paint, or from overlapping dry paints under exposure to light or other electromagnetic radiation?

___Uncle Al, if you are alive out there I have dutifully kept my brushes out of my mouth; if on the other hand, you are dead out there, I have dutifully kept my brushes out of my mouth.;)