Science Forums

Chemistry of Paint & Pigments

Turtle

OK; here's what I got. I went to the Yellow Pages under 'Chemicals" and started calling the local numbers (I don't have long-distance). I found a place over the river in Portland that has them both in stock in 500gm jars.

Nurnberg/Scientific Distributors

6310 SW Virginia Portland OR

potassium ferricyanide - 500 gms - $56.50 US

ferric ammonium citrate - 500gm - $43.75 US

Excellent work! I'm glad that you at least have a local place that sells chemicals to you. I have yet to find one. I must say however, that those are pretty unreasonable prices for those compounds. I would suggest looking around more online before you commit.

-mb

Okay! Update on my PinholeCyanotypeMachine (PCM):

Here is what I have done so far:

These are the basic supplies that I used to start crafting my PCM. Notice the Vernier Caliper Micrometer. I used this to approximately measure the diameter of the 4 pins also shown in the picture. This will help me to decide which pin I should use to make the "pinhole" later on.

The next image shows the basic structure of my PCM. I used a simple cubic box, and covered all edges with electrical tape to prevent light from entering through any unseen holes. A slit was cut in the top that will allow for the adjustment of the distance between the Cyanotype paper and the pinhole.

This image shows the front cover of the box PCM. I simply took a square piece of cardboard (a little bit bigger than the box) and hot-glued "walls" of cardboard onto the edges. I then covered the edges in electrical tape, just to be safe. I then cut a hole in the cover. This is where the piece of aluminium (with the pinhole in it) will go eventually.

This picture shows how the PCM looks with it's cover on. Self explanatory.

Finally, I crafted a "cover" for the lateral slat on the top of the PCM. I used this specific length, and placed the 2 holes for the sliding bar, in a way such that the piece of cardboard will always cover the slat, no matter the position of the internal film plate. This keeps light out during the photography process. I glued on two popsicle sticks to act as a "rail" for the sliding slat cover.

So there you have it! An almost fully complete PinholeCyanotypeMachine. The last step is to craft the aluminium plate that will contain the actual pinhole. I still don't have the Ferric Ammonium Citrate that I need, so I see no point in making the pinhole plate until a little bit later. Hopefully, by next weekend, I will start the experiment!

Okay! Update on my PinholeCyanotypeMachine (PCM):

Here is what I have done so far:

These are the basic supplies that I used to start crafting my PCM. Notice the Vernier Caliper Micrometer. I used this to approximately measure the diameter of the 4 pins also shown in the picture. This will help me to decide which pin I should use to make the "pinhole" later on.

The next image shows the basic structure of my PCM. I used a simple cubic box, and covered all edges with electrical tape to prevent light from entering through any unseen holes. A slit was cut in the top that will allow for the adjustment of the distance between the Cyanotype paper and the pinhole.

This image shows the front cover of the box PCM. I simply took a square piece of cardboard (a little bit bigger than the box) and hot-glued "walls" of cardboard onto the edges. I then covered the edges in electrical tape, just to be safe. I then cut a hole in the cover. This is where the piece of aluminium (with the pinhole in it) will go eventually.

This picture shows how the PCM looks with it's cover on. Self explanatory.

Finally, I crafted a "cover" for the lateral slat on the top of the PCM. I used this specific length, and placed the 2 holes for the sliding bar, in a way such that the piece of cardboard will always cover the slat, no matter the position of the internal film plate. This keeps light out during the photography process. I glued on two popsicle sticks to act as a "rail" for the sliding slat cover.

So there you have it! An almost fully complete PinholeCyanotypeMachine. The last step is to craft the aluminium plate that will contain the actual pinhole. I still don't have the Ferric Ammonium Citrate that I need, so I see no point in making the pinhole plate until a little bit later. Hopefully, by next weekend, I will start the experiment!

You rock Mercedes! :thanks: Excellent initiative, wonderful craft, and super-duper follow-through. As much as I like talking about science, it doesn't hold a candle to doing science. A Brotherly Conduct rain-check for you. :D

I went ahead and bought my tissue paper, and whatever the pigment is they use to color it, runs when it gets wet. :D I suspect the cyanotype doesn't suffer that fault? :) Thanks for posting the photos and once again, nice work. :singer:

You rock Mercedes! Excellent initiative, wonderful craft, and super-duper follow-through. As much as I like talking about science, it doesn't hold a candle to doing science. A Brotherly Conduct rain-check for you.

I went ahead and bought my tissue paper, and whatever the pigment is they use to color it, runs when it gets wet. I suspect the cyanotype doesn't suffer that fault? Thanks for posting the photos and once again, nice work.

Well thank you very much! I'm having a fun time doing it.

Anyway, the cyanotype process does not "suffer that fault". In fact, that is the principle behind WHY this process works. See, once the paper is exposed, you need to rinse it off to wash away any remaining sensitized chemical solution. The prussian blue is insoluble, and remains behind in the paper, thusly creating an image.

Well thank you very much! I'm having a fun time doing it.

Anyway, the cyanotype process does not "suffer that fault". In fact, that is the principle behind WHY this process works. See, once the paper is exposed, you need to rinse it off to wash away any remaining sensitized chemical solution. The prussian blue is insoluble, and remains behind in the paper, thusly creating an image.

:thanks: I knew that! :singer: Er...well...I probably just forgot. :D Nevertheless, you suggested for me a future project! If I used the heavy paper I could expose treated full sheets by different amounts to get different shades, and then after rinsing/drying just cut them up into squares or triangles and procede as I am with the colored tissue. :)

Post Script photo of my tissue palette over at PostMagnet >>> Tlog

:shop: I knew that! :cup: Er...well...I probably just forgot. :doh: Nevertheless, you suggested for me a future project! If I used the heavy paper I could expose treated full sheets by different amounts to get different shades, and then after rinsing/drying just cut them up into squares or triangles and procede as I am with the colored tissue. ;)

Post Script photo of my tissue palette over at PostMagnet >>> Tlog

That sounds delightful! Anyway, I followed your link, but I didn't see any pictures. I'm probably missing the obvious...:D

• 2 weeks later...

The moment has arrived! and I must say, I am very satisfied.

I received my Ferric Ammonium Citrate today, and quickly set out on my mission before the afternoon sun went too low.

I took my camera to my friend's house afterschool, and the results are striking for a first attempt; if I do say so myself! :D

The quality is not all that good, but at least it proves the functionality of the PCR.

Looking at the picture, you can make out the outline of a tree in the center of the shot. There's a lamp post to the left of the shot, and it's base can be made out towards the bottom of the picture. You can see two window gable-ish things above the garages, as well as a large portion of the left side of the house. If you look closely, you can kinda see the front door with at least one window next to it. This would be almost directly centered behind the tree.

Yay! It worked!

Wow.

In my mind, it conjures images of a 1700s snowy neighborhood with horeses, carriages, and a forelorn and drunken poet sitting inside one of those windows composing limrics for a loved one. Quick... Somebody call Rorschach.

Mercedes, my man, that is more cool than I know how to tell you.

Wow.

Thank you ver much, kindly. :doh:

Wow.

In my mind, it conjures images of a 1700s snowy neighborhood with horeses, carriages, and a forelorn and drunken poet sitting inside one of those windows composing limrics for a loved one. Quick... Somebody call Rorschach.

Mercedes, my man, that is more cool than I know how to tell you.

Wow.

Thank you ver much, kindly. :)

Okay, so Turtle's absence is saddening, so Big Dog made a How to Summon a Turtle Thread.

In that thread I posted my latest Cyanotype (not using the my camera), of a turtle.

Well, for those of you interested, here are some pictures of me preparing the cyanotype paper.

In this picture, you see two solutions. The one on the right is Potassium Ferricyanide. On the right, you have an equi-volume of Ferric Ammonium Citrate. We'll call them A & B.

Here you have me in my bathro... errr... lab. Embarrassing toiletries aside, I have a piece of wax paper laid out with the paper that I will be treating with chemicals.

[/url]

The next thing that I did was pour out a little bit of the mixed solutions A&B onto three sheets of cut paper. Now, when I was doing this, the room was completely dark with the exception of a flashlight covered in red cellophane. The flash from the camera made the room look bright.

Finally, I spread around the chemical mixture, and then used a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, so Turtle's absence is saddening, so Big Dog made a How to Summon a Turtle Thread.

In that thread I posted my latest Cyanotype (not using the my camera), of a turtle.

Well, for those of you interested, here are some pictures of me preparing the cyanotype paper.

In this picture, you see two solutions. The one on the right is Potassium Ferricyanide. On the right, you have an equi-volume of Ferric Ammonium Citrate. We'll call them A & B.

Here you have me in my bathro... errr... lab. Embarrassing toiletries aside, I have a piece of wax paper laid out with the paper that I will be treating with chemicals.

[/url]

The next thing that I did was pour out a little bit of the mixed solutions A&B onto three sheets of cut paper. Now, when I was doing this, the room was completely dark with the exception of a flashlight covered in red cellophane. The flash from the camera made the room look bright.

Finally, I spread around the chemical mixture, and then used a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.

Excellent post! What kind of paper did you use? Have you tried it with fabric? How many cyanotypes can you get for how much solution? Have you made any more with the pinhole? What do your friends & family think of the cyanotypes? :) :turtle:

Excellent post! What kind of paper did you use? Have you tried it with fabric? How many cyanotypes can you get for how much solution? Have you made any more with the pinhole? What do your friends & family think of the cyanotypes?

I will certainly get back to you, but it is bed-time now.... I'm trying to work (rather... sleep) away the last few days of the flu. :thumbs_up

I will certainly get back to you, but it is bed-time now.... I'm trying to work (rather... sleep) away the last few days of the flu. :hihi:

Acknowledged. Turtle that I am, I understand 'I'll get back to you' quite well. :( In the last month-and-a-half I have half-finished the work in blue paper on canvas. No reason to expect any increase in velocity. :thumbs_up

• 8 months later...
The moment has arrived! and I must say, I am very satisfied.

I received my Ferric Ammonium Citrate today, and quickly set out on my mission before the afternoon sun went too low.

I took my camera to my friend's house afterschool, and the results are striking for a first attempt; if I do say so myself! :fire:

The quality is not all that good, but at least it proves the functionality of the PCR.

Looking at the picture, you can make out the outline of a tree in the center of the shot. There's a lamp post to the left of the shot, and it's base can be made out towards the bottom of the picture. You can see two window gable-ish things above the garages, as well as a large portion of the left side of the house. If you look closely, you can kinda see the front door with at least one window next to it. This would be almost directly centered behind the tree.

Yay! It worked!

How are those prints holding up? Have you noticed any change in color or intensity? I recall reading that if they lighten, putting them in the dark brings them back. Looking at the pinhole shot here again for the first time, it has a very haunty Currier & Ives-esque feel. If the Potomic freezes over this year, by all means get a pinhole shot of that. :hyper: :hyper: ;)

How are those prints holding up? Have you noticed any change in color or intensity? I recall reading that if they lighten, putting them in the dark brings them back. Looking at the pinhole shot here again for the first time, it has a very haunty Currier & Ives-esque feel. If the Potomic freezes over this year, by all means get a pinhole shot of that.

Unfortunately, that shot has turned completely blue! :D

I tried the "putting them in the dark" approach, but it hasn't worked, so I guess I'm stuck with just a dark blue piece of paper. :(

Oh well. I'm hoping to try out a few more shots this winter (whenever I get some free time ---- which isn't something I have very much of these days).

As for the Potomac, I will certainly try, but it doesn't freeze over all that often. :)