Science Forums

Skywatchers' Journal

Turtle

I was serious about the two elliptical humps of light I see come off of the moon.

No one else sees it?? I see it on clear nights. It's always biovular.

What causes this light phenomenon?

Orbsycli,

Remember when I answered this for you when asked by your alter ego in January... in this very thread @ Post #107?

http://hypography.com/forums/156609-post107.html

No. This is different.

I can literally see two rainbow humps coming directly off the moon.

I've never seen it in a photograph. Only with my eyes.

They are elliptical. They crossfade with each other. They are shaped like breasts.

Some of these atmospheric optical effects are relatively rare. If you e-mail Les Cowley a description, he can likely tell you exactly the conditions that create it. He does all the explanations for the Spaceweather.com site. Here's his personal page. >> Atmospheric Optics

Any chance to grab a photo? :cup: :turtle:

Some of these atmospheric optical effects are relatively rare. If you e-mail Les Cowley a description, he can likely tell you exactly the conditions that create it. He does all the explanations for the Spaceweather.com site. Here's his personal page. >> Atmospheric Optics

Any chance to grab a photo? ;) :turtle:

Addendum ++ checking Les' page, I found what I think is the appropriate section. Since the effect is when looking directly at the Moon, it is some type of halo. Here is an overlay image of all the catalogued types of halos (the illustraion is using the Sun, but the Moon halos have the same explanations)

Infrequent Arcs

If you see your shape, click its name for a detailed description of what forms it. He emphasizes some of these effects are once in a lifetime. Then add the rainbow explanation, & voila! :D :cup:

You aren't affected???

Man you need some cacti!

:cup: :)

Anyway,

Last night [050807] I saw another green flash.

My friend from California was visiting. The sky was snowy sepia grayish and smelled of burned trees all day. The sunset was intense. Over and out.

:shrug: :)

• 1 month later...
Guest chendoh

If you get a chance, Look West/Southwest, and you will see an alignment of; Venus-lower right,

then in ascending order to the left,

the waxing Moon,

Saturn, and

Regulus in the Constellation Leo...:)

Guest chendoh
i took this photo last night for the scavenger hunt. bright venus on left guards the waxing crescent moon illuminated by earth-shine as clouds settle at the horizon. :cup: :turtle:
:cup::cheer:

Beautiful!
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif
:D:singer:

In my previous post I should of said..... West/Northwest.

And for all of Our friends:circle: South of the Equator, I hear Winter starts about 4:06am 062207....I'll double check Heavens-Above, to make sure, and put in an addendendum, to this post.

Guest chendoh
And for all of Our friends:circle: South of the Equator, I hear Winter starts about 4:06am 062207....I'll double check Heavens-Above, to make sure, and put in an addendendum, to this post.
WOW! did I get an eyefull!..:D, My apoligies...I must have had hoof and mouth....

According to this site..

http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/?loc=interstitialskip

Winter in Oz, starts 0601.

And the ABC reports a class 2 cyclone, about to hit the NWT.

took ace's 5" reflector out tonight. yesterday i cleaned & collimnated the mirrors & ace got bateries for the navstar whatchamacallit auto drive.

the auto-drive can be more hassle than it's worth sometimes; i think it lost our position when we took out the old batteries. also it will sometimes drive the scope to a point it collides with the tripod legs or the mount arm! :turtle: then there is when you need to read the instructions it's dark.:lol: :shrug::tearhair:

can't find the highpower eye-piece but found and used the 3x barlow. looked at the moon, venus (currently a crescent), jupiter (3 gallilean moons in view), saturn (couldn't make out the cassini division even with the barlow, but it was low in the west and pretty dirty air). also checked out vega & altair and scanned around at stars without id'ing them. now sitting against pillow with sore back typing. :eek2:

a good time was had by all. :hyper: