Science Forums

Skywatchers' Journal

Turtle

:) ___I web searched 'Moon phases' and found this excellent resource on top of my return.

http://www.calculatorcat.com/moon_phases/moon_phases.phtml

___A current Moon phase module, (Third Quarter today & 52% illuminated), NASA links, fishing lore, tides, etc.. A veritable cavalcade of Luna's scientifically investigatable effects & manifestations.

:lol:

:)

Very funny CHUCKLE

Wait'll ya hear this one then! I have sweated & bled for Astronomy today, & it ain't over yet. To bring you up to speed, here is the setup from the Saturn lighting storm thread:

http://hypography.com/forums/astronomy-cosmology/5481-saturns-lightning.html

___ No better way to get Turtle to do something than tell him it can't be done. cwes99_03, you have given me something to distract my mind today with just such a challenge; Brotherly Conduct to you Sir!

___I got out the scope manual & found an image of Saturn in it that is very close to what I observed; I have attached it below.

___I also found in the box a camera adapter. It's a teeny bit too small, so I'm scraping enough plastic from the inside of the ring to fit my video cam & I plan to give it a go tonight. I think I can make it fit no problem, although I am a little concerned about it bearing the full weight of the camera. Nonetheless, I have a happy distraction for a few hours. If all goes well, I may have some images to post....

Uhhhh...there will now be a slight delay in the project while I try and staunch the flow of blood from a rather nasty laceration to the palm of my hand! Clumsy is as clumsy does...good grief. If I get blood on Aces telescope he'll have a hissy fit. Oh bother.

___So now, that brings us up to what's happenin' now. The wound was more of a puncture than a laceration & the pressure stopped the bleeding. I have now found that by reducing the pressure on the knife as I continue to scrape the adapter ring to fit the camera, the resulting wounds have been less deep & hardly bleed at all. Saturn is up & about 15 or 20 deg above the horizon. Off I go then.:)

___I fitted the ring & went out back for a look-see at Saturn, but I was unable to focus the camera properly. Back in with the 25mm eyepiece & figure out how to "free drive" the mount; booya! Saturn at last. I looked in the box for a higher power eyepiece & found a 3X Barlo lens instead so in with the Barlow. Bigger image & just as clear, but I still acnnot distinguish the Cassini division in the rings. I may also have seen Titan, but I haven't checked for sure. The sky software Ace has may have a Saturn moons module, but I haven't found it yet.

___Came in when the ol' back said to. Fun anyway; anyone else observing out there tonight?:lol:

Good viewing tonight downunder! Very clear skies and no moon made the sky fill with loads of stars. A few things on my list of viewing:

-Alpha Centauri, which i resolved as the 2 stars it really is

-Orion Nebular, not to good with my small scope but pretty cool none-the-less

-Betelgeuse (not sure on the spelling), very bright very red

-some random satellite, that was moving very quikly going east

overall a good night except for the mozzies :hyper: forgot the insect repelant!

• 2 weeks later...

Saturn is up tonight & within a few degrees of the waxing gibbous Moon. It's raining right now, but the weather forecast is calling for it to clear in a few hours. Less than ideal conditions for viewing Saturn as the clearing is going to release the heat near the ground, making the air 'wavery':lol: , & the close proximity to Luna's light.

Anyway, rather than the telescope tonight, I'm going for a session of Moon viewing through the video camera. Maybe I'll catch an impact!:eek: :)

Keep looking skyward.:eek: ;) :)

Clear last night - so i got to do my homework :)

saw canopus in most of its glory - rather large blueish star, the moon was really bright so kinda drowned out some of the lesser magnitude stars. Also had a look at jupiter while i was out

What instruments did you use JayQ? Did you hear that a new 'red spot' has formed on Jupiter? Oh, and is canopus a Southern sky star? (I will look it up soon.:) )

The sky has not cleared here:( ; it's 10:34 PM:phones:

PS I can't see it:

With a magnitude of –0.72, Canopus is easy to find in the night sky, though it is only visible at latitudes south of 37 degrees north (roughly south of Pittsburg).

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/brightest_stars_030715-2.html

• 1 month later...

I have only taken a causual look at the skys of late, but there is a great comet attraction in the Western sky just after nighfall in US. The thing is breaking up into more fragments everyday & will come to it's closest Earth approach around May 29th. Check http://www.spaceweather.com for more details & photos from astronomers around the world.:eek2:

What instruments did you use JayQ? Did you hear that a new 'red spot' has formed on Jupiter? Oh, and is canopus a Southern sky star? (I will look it up soon.:eek2: )

The sky has not cleared here:( ; it's 10:34 PM:phones:

sorry for the late reply..

I used a pair of 10x50 binoculars and my eyes :eek: I did hear about the new red spot, but my small scope does not have the power to resolve such features. I will have to wait till we make a trip up the the observatory:hyper:

Canopus or Alpha Carinae if the second brightest star in the sky, here is a good little read about the star :Waldo:

Hello All

Crumbling Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 Approaches 2006 April 26

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060426.html

quote:

"A crumbling comet will soon pass near the Earth. Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 is brightening and may even be visible to the unaided eye when the fragmented comet zooms past Earth during the middle of next month. Still, the small comet poses no Earth hazard, since it will pass the Earth at about 25 times the distance of the Moon. Exactly how bright Comet Schwassman-Wachmann 3 will get is unknown. It is even possible, althought unlikely, that debris from the comet will have spread out enough to cause a notable meteor shower"

Hello All

Crumbling Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 Approaches 2006 April 26 ...It is even possible, althought unlikely, that debris from the comet will have spread out enough to cause a notable meteor shower"

04-27-2006 03:10 PM

I haven't taken a view of the crumbling comet yet, but it is drawing considerable interest. Last night I watched Jupiter a while; all Gallilean moons visible. We have a meteor shower coming up from Halley's comet debris which peaks on Saturday.

Keep looking starward.:cup:

There is an opportunity tonight to view comet 73P/Schwassmann Wachmann 3 that is drawing so much attention as it breaks apart on its approach around the Sun. Here is a sky map for tonight; by all means correct for your particular time & location.

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2006/08may06/skymap_north.gif

Binoculars or telescopes recommended. Cameras if ya got 'em.;)