Science Forums

Skywatchers' Journal

Turtle

Are you able to adjust your fps?

Only in a very limited manner, and not for the better as far as clarity goes. This is a Sony and I'm using their 'Super NightShot' setting. The 'NightShot' part is infrared and operates at the usual 30 fps; it does not pick up these meteors well if at all. Switching on the 'Super' addition to 'NightShot' slows the shutter by a factor of 4 allowing the meteors to register but adding the jumpy blurring.

So, while it's not ideal, I am getting everything out of the camera that I can. Even then, when I off-loaded the file from cam to computer, I couldn't see the meteors on the computer playback as on cam playback and had to use a software filter (called 'Balance' I think?) to brighten the image for the final clips I posted.

If it aint one darn thing it's another. :cool: Goin' for a 3-fer as we type. :singer: :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...
Roger that, happy hunting! :hihi:

Turned out no trifecta. :D But... :hyper: I caught another meteor last week and just got around to getting it up at da Toob. :singer: A NASA all-sky cam just caught an outburst thought related to the upcoming Perseids; front page story for today at Spaceweather.com. >> SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids :hyper:

YouTube - Meteor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBZ11BjA28

• 3 months later...

For those of you with clean sky tonight, we have the biggest & brightest Moon of the year. Not lookin' good for my sky as we have a storm blasting in. :phones: Maybe this perigee will trigger some quakes. :naughty: :confused:

Biggest Full Moon Of The Year

... Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger, but can you actually tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon looks much like any other.

The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

SUNSET SKY SHOW: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look southwest. Venus and the crescent Moon are having a lovely close encounter. They're so bright, you can see them even before the sky fades to black. Venus and the Moon framed by twilight blue is a scene of special beauty. Don't miss it!

I did not miss it! :singer: :sherlock:

Detail: :turtle:

YouTube - moon venus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1VIYHwyrI

I am going to be doing some skywatching soon :doh:

Im getting an 200mm f/6 Dob and some nice wide angle eyepieces - there is going to be some late nights ahead :)

Sweet!!! Do you have plans for a camera mount? :) :) Keep us posted. :Alien:

Tonight's the Full Moon & I did have some clearing last night but it was freezing cold out so I settled for a 4 second peek out the window. :) :)

Moon Phases :: Calendars

I would like to get a camera mount, but there are a little awkward on dobs because it makes it hard to balance - also dobs dont easily track, so it would only be short exposure photography.

Have a look at comet Lulin if you have a pair of binoculars - it should be in the constellation Virgo around now.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the scope out for a look last night - but unfortunately there is still smoke hanging in the air from all the bushfires, so the seeing was pretty bad. The sky glow was so bright it seemed like it was a full moon :phones:

Anyway I did point my scope at the Orion nebula, which was still impressive and the Jewel box (I think :oh_really:), but I was unable to use higher power because it just yielded an unfocusable blur :cheer:

I hope the fires stop soon for everybodies sake.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

COSMIC COINCIDENCE: What are the odds? On Tuesday morning, Feb. 24th, Saturn and Comet Lulin will converge in the constellation Leo only 2o apart. At the same time, Comet Lulin will be making its closest approach to Earth (38 million miles), while four of Saturn's moons transit the disk of the ringed planet. Oh, and the Moon will be New, providing dark skies for anyone who wishes to see the show.

The skys cleared enough to get some video of this last night out my South window. :eek2: I used a Sony Handycam in "SuperNightShot" infrared mode & then I applied a filter in the movie software called "Auto Levels". If I get enthusiastic enough I may grab some stills and try stacking them. :eek2: As if. :(

Anyway, here's what I got: :naughty:

YouTube - Comet Lulin & Saturn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHHloDxjFCI