Skywatchers' Journal

Turtle

• 1 month later...

G'dafrom the land of ozzzzz

This paper goes back to 2003

Still quite interesting.

Latest Sun Flare Put at X28, Strongest on Record

SPACE.com -- Latest Sun Flare Put at X28, Strongest on Record

The strongest flares on record, in 1989 and 2001, were rated at X20. This one is at least that powerful, scientists say. But because it saturated the X-ray detector aboard NOAA's GOES satellite that monitors the Sun, a full analysis has not been done.

The satellite was blinded for 11 minutes.

Craig DeForest, a solar physicist at the Southwest Research Institute, said others in his field are discussing the possibility that Tuesday's flare was an X40.

"I'd take a stand and say it appears to be about X40 based on extrapolation of the X-ray flux into the saturated period," DeForest told SPACE.com.

Mayb need to check recent flares.

Gallery of solar flares

SPACE.com Image Gallery: HOT STUFF: Solar Flares

• 3 months later...

Got our and had a look at Jupiter last night, I was hoping to get a look at the great red spot but I think I was to early. My partner took a video of the planet through the eyepiece with a digital cam - I then stacked the images together to bring out some more detail, this is the result:

post-1101-12821010681_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've got an idea...let's crash something into the moon at 5,600mph to see if there's water there. :hihi:

What?! They're already doing it?!

Oh well...

In 4 or so hours, NASA will crash a rocket booster and it's associated satellite into the moon. I don't think we'll notice much of anything, even with a large telescope, but it will likely generate great images that will show up here.

YUMMY!! :P

NASA - LCROSS

• 1 year later...