Science Forums

Skywatchers' Journal

Turtle

;) ___I have watched the sky since childhood and I still find it spellbinding. I remember buying my first sky maps from Edmund Scientific & trying to track down stars & constellations.

___Lately I use a video cam feeding to a TV for my telescope as the cold nights cramp up the old joints. I save the outside stuff for warmer weather or special occurences, eg the comet that came by last Summer.

___I saw that big fireball a few months back over the NorthWest while using the video cam/TV setup to watch the Moon; didn't get it on tape but saw it through an open window.

___Well, you get the idea of this thread, so what skywatching do you do & how, where, when, with who, etc.

___Tonight is a Moon/Jupiter conjunction; I was out a minite ago & we have some high clouds obscurring Jupiter. Keep looking skyward! ;)

Living in the city, we don't see much, although we do go to the local observatory (Chabot in Oakland) where on the warmer, clearer Friday nights they have a couple of big ol refractors to look through and a bunch of amatures with their own bring them up for the public to view. Great planetarium there too...

My daughter and I make it up to the eastern Sierras a couple of times a year though and go where there's no lights at all and stare for hours. Its awe inspiring....

Cheers,

Buffy

Not bad, I know a few people that have good scopes but I me only godda pair of 12x50s. Good ones though, Eschenbach.

When Hale-Bopp was around we all went up the mountains with a guy, astronomy student, that had a good reflector. Before the comet was above the horizon he was setting it up to look at some other interesting things. I waited till he peered into the ocular to focus and I bent down, face into the tube, gave him a sec or two to attempt focussing and said: "I dunno, I can't see a darn thing!"

This guy laughed but another guy I was with, a year or two before, leapt up and chased me away with kicks in the arse.

Has anyone been here? ASV (Arizona Sky Village) Located in one of the darkest deep-sky sites in North America, Astronomers will watch in awe as the Milky Way rises like a gathering storm and will re-discover the Universe in pristine dark skies.

./assets/images/autogen/a_Copy_of_Zodiacal_Light___milkyway.jpg

This could be a nifty event!

http://arizonaskyvillage.com/html/star_party.html

Yeah, full moon tonight! I love full moons.

I didn't catch the conjunction. I'm glad my Venus is back though :eek: I missed her.

I don't get out as much to really check out the stars as I would like. This winter was cold and I let it keep me in. I've got a new Meade NGC-70 (2.8" Refractor). It's a basic telescope for novices like myself but I like how it hooks up to my laptop, handy dandy :eek:

Anybody catch the solar eclipse?

Looking skyward :eek:

ah i've written about that. a planet was right underneith that cheshire cat one night, venus i believe. (the morning star, i believe that's the planet) and it was like a beauty mark to the sky. i was standing on a dock in the gulf of mexico a day after one of the hurricanes, waves for once! it was magnificent.

Oh and careful: there's gators on the road late at night. Same rule applies for gators as deer on the road: don't swerve, drive through it. It will do less damage to you, and you might get some nice shoes out of it in the bargain....

Cheers,

Buffy

Gators: I figured Florida...I've seen plenty when I've been there.

Boars: Same rule applies, but they're not as good a material for shoes.

100mph: Watch out for Smokies! And watch the ROAD! Especially if it appears to be moving!

Cheers!

Buffy

state roads are empty and straight, nothing to worry about!

and HA HA, very funny. yeah nice joke there buffy, GOOD ONE. sure, yeah!

ahhhh but honestly, i would never drive under conditions like that. i know exactly what would happen. i would think headlights are some mystical pathway and i would drive right into them. VERY BAD!