Science Forums

Slow Food...Tell me your favorite non-chain restaurant...

IrishEyes

You all know I just spent time in New York at the Van concert. Without regaling you with how incredibly wonderful that was, I will tell you a bit about the 'extras'...

We met a very nice man at the concert. Rick, a native New Yorker, retired to Florida with his wife. She stayed home with the dog and he came up for both concerts. After the awesomeness of Van on Thursday, Rick took me and nemo to dinner. I gotta tell you, I've never had better pizza in my life. Buffy, it was WAY better than anything I ever found in Chicago, and I am telling you, you're totally right about thin crust- amazing!!

Rick took us to John's, which is somewhere near 62nd and 3rd. I'm fairly certain we could find it again. I understand there is also a John's in the Village, but we went to the one in the city. Totally awesome, and nemo is already ready to get back there. And the calamari - WOW. Really, it was just really great food, and it takes a LOT to impress me. Ask my husband, I'm just a small bit of a food snob...

Anyhow, I want to know about your secret little places, and what makes them great. We talked about 'fast' foods in the other thread, but I want to know about the 'slow' food. Tell me about the little hole in the wall that serves awesome Fettucini Alfredo (if anyone says Olive Garde, expect to be banned!). Tell me about that place that has incredible Enchilads (and don't you dare mention Don Pablo's, ok?). Rave to me about Kung Pao Chicken, and don't you dare say Panda Express! Who makes the best stromboli? Tell me, tell me, tell me!

I love to cook, and nemo loves to eat, so we work well together. But I also enjoy sitting down to a NICE meal. Tell me where YOU like to sit down...

As for Mexican (Not tex-mex) hands down was this hole in the wall in Galveston, TX. It is called El Napasita's. It is in the middle of the projects (I have been shot at in this neighborhood before...) You would show up in this little gravel parking lot and there were Benz's and BMW's all from Houston. They did not have a menu, you just went in and ordered what they had made that day. (They had tacos and what not too). Devine.....

by far the best food I have ever had is this hole-in-the-wall chinese food place in a strip mall on the corner of hamilton and san thomas aquino in san jose, california.

it's called Tsing Tao. their kim-chi(sp?) is incredible...you get your food so fast, but it's not pre cooked or anything. they are very prompt people, family owned i think.

great place, open on christmas :)

the only thing that i dislike about the place and something that contradicts this thread is i always feel somewhat rushed when i go in there.

the other day i spent like 3 hours in carrows. only ate for like a half hour, picked at for another half. that's a great place to chill. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Buffy, it was WAY better than anything I ever found in Chicago, and I am telling you, you're totally right about thin crust- amazing!!

Heh, heh. Course! Lower in carbs too!

Rick took us to John's, which is somewhere near 62nd and 3rd. I'm fairly certain we could find it again. I understand there is also a John's in the Village
John's good. Go to the Village. more ambiance than that upper east side thing.
Anyhow, I want to know about your secret little places, and what makes them great.

Mentioned this in the HCNR thread, but my favorite place in the world (if its still there) is Massimo Il Ponte Vecchio on Thompson just north of Bleeker in the village (east side of street, 2-3 doors from the corner). Go down Bleeker till you get to The Back Fence and turn north. Hope its still there. Haven't been to NYC in 3+ years, but it was my regular spot for ten....

If you like sushi, Tokie's in Foster City. It is REALLY hard to find because its in a mini mall in the middle of a residential area. Best sushi outside of Japan.

Mexican: Juan's across the street from the Fantasy Record plant in Berkeley.

Cajun: No question: K. Paul's in N'awlns. Go before he has a heart attack and keels over.

MMmmmmm,

Buffy

Best pizza in the world: Boundary Bay brewery in Bellingham. They have a smoked salmon pizza with pesto and some strange cheeses and onions. It's unique, but man, it's the best thing every. Called "the great northwest pizza."

Good beer too!

Sushi- Place called Muashi in Vancouver BC. Incredible, plus everybody there (including the patrons) only speak Japanese, so it is a cool atmosphere. Although most places in Vancouver have good sushi!

• 1 month later...

Mmm.. food.

Some of my favorite places ever... when I lived in New York, there were two little pizzarias I couldn't get enough of - one was Mama Marisa's, the other was Salvatore's. We had pizzas that were those big triangle "normal" slices - smothered in cheese, dripping with grease... most people folded the slices in half just to let the grease run off... but that was the best stuff. Here, they cut the round pizzas in a square pattern. I can't stand that.

In Ohio, there was a Japanese place that I loved, called Sapporo wind (haven't been there in a few years, though). We just tried to go there the other day and found it was gone.

:-( There is also a little lebanese food place called Aladdins, which I am not sure if it's a chain or not (I don't think so...) but I secretly crave something called a dawali wrap and they make these fresh pure fruit smoothies with banana and honey (or whatever other fruit/veg you want.. even carrot juice!). Oh man, especially when it's hot out.. I could go for one right now. Mmmm! I can't think of any great pizza places here in Ohio... which stinks. I can't stand chain pizza, especially after being spoiled on NY pizza most of my life. (If anybody knows any place.... hook me up.)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to also promote the milkshakes at Field Cafe in Fields, Oregon. It's a town of 7 people (literally- the entire town is on the business card), but boy can they cook. Milkshakes especially, from local cows, but also breakfasts to die for.

It used to be a cattle drive watering hole, cowboy town... There's a ton of hot springs around there, and some cool ones for the cattle to drink. Its' really quite the place. If you've ever used borax soap (that gritty dry soap), the origionally supply for the first company to sell that stuff (7 mule team soap) was out of fields, at Borax Lake. It's also near the Steens Moutain wildlife reserve, which is incredible!

When I was stationed overseas in Germany, I used to frequent this little place called The Rosen Garten's. If any of you folks have ever eaten German food, you'll know what schnitzel is. Their home grown salads were out of this world, along with their own style of hash browns, seasoned sweet and sour red cabbage, and Vienner schnitzel, and don't forget about that tall mug of German beer. ummmm, umm, ummmmmmmmmm. I'll never forget how good it all tasted to me as a young man in my early twenties. Ahhh to be young again................