Science Forums

Slow Food...Tell me your favorite non-chain restaurant...

IrishEyes

____Thanks Niviene! I have anxiously awaited the next opportunity to cast some well deserved reputation your way. I do like your posts!

___I just swallowed the last drop of the first bottle of 2 bottles I bought (thanks to a benefactor who took pity on my sorry *ss condition of late)

___So...that means an elapsed time of 1 hour & 10 minutes; is that slow enough to qualify for this thread?

___I did see 2 other varities; a pale ale & one I don;t remember either. To make it clear, I bought this strickly based on the devil character label & name. I love the stuff! So many micro brews, so little time!

___Next!

Thanks... that's a nice thing to say ;) And yes, I do believe that 1hour and 10 minutes counts as quite a moment! I also bought them based on the name... LOL! Maybe that's how they reel people in.... :hihi:

They make lots of different kinds. The strongest is Double Bastard, it's around 10.5% percent if I remember right. They are definitily a quality brewery. My favorite of theirs is the Ruination Ale- it's an Imperial IPA, REALLY hoppy and bitter, at about 8.6%. Quality stuff, that.

Wow... and Wow again. I need to find some of that for my father (heheh.. on the one hand I'm complaining about his utter lack of taking care of himself at his age.. on the other, I keep buying him beer...) Perhaps I can find some of that Ruination Ale to sneak behind the bar for my brother on his wedding day ;)

The microbrews were my favorite thing about Seattle, and the entire PNw region. Wow, what fond memories. Between that, and one very long, cold, wild ride to Vancouver, it was a really enjoyable chapter in my life.

Of course, I am a firm believer that most things good come from that part of the country. Between the coffee, the pastries, the brews (all three of which have since gone national), and the over-abundance of VW bugs, it's a great place to just 'be'. I envy you Turtle man, and you too, bumab! Oh for a look at those mountains right now...

The only thing that has come fromthere that I'm not all that fond of was the music in the mid-90s. But then again, some of it was not so bad, I guess. Ah well, another stroll down memory lane...

This morning, the kids cooked pancakes for breakfast. Shame we haven't made it to pick berries yet. A few more weeks will be the perfect time for the late August blackberries though. I usually make some jam from them. Anyone want a jar??? :rolleyes:

I LOVE blackberry jam! I'll order one :rolleyes:

I just made blueberry pancakes for my wife, and I certainly hope your kids were more sucessful. Somehow, I can brew decent beer, but producing a decent (only decent) pancake eludes me about half the time. 50% or so of my pancakes get so black you could use them as temporary blackboards or frisbees.

Probably because I'm surfing the forums as they cook :naughty: and lose track of time....

The secret around here is to turn the burner on about 7, butter the skillet a bit, and then pour slowly. Then you just wait for the bubbles and flip. The other side only takes a few seconds, normally. I can do a whole skillet, which is 9 small or 4 big ones, in about 4 minutes. I prefer the small ones, because there are more of them, and less people yelling that they're hungry.

My kids love them topped with fresh berries warmed in a pot with a smidge of sugar, any flavor will do, and LOTS of whipped cream. But lacking berries, blueberry syrup will do in a pinch.

Great, now *I* am also craving those blackberries. The late summer ones are so much better than the June ones. But I'm a bit worried about all of the rain. It seems that when there is lots of rain, the berries are bigger, but less flavorful. Hakuna Matata though, I still can't wait... :rolleyes:

I LOVE blackberry jam! I'll order one :rolleyes:

I'll let you know when we make some. It's usually a Christmas present for family too. The kids pick them, I wash them, they mash them, and all help with 'putting them up'. We did peaches two summers ago too. That jam only lasted 3 months, and we made 40 jars of it. Everyone loved it though, so it was a great project. Plus, my oldest will help design the labels, and they get to print them off and stick them to the jars.

It's one of my favorite 'school' projects of the year...and soooo tasty to boot!

I only got a smallish iron skillet, so I'm limited to one at a time.
Get a big one! Mine *lives* on top of the stove (I keep a separate one for fish because, well, you'll see: you really can't ever get the fish smell out of it once its in there....). I don't even bother with the non-stick pans anymore: If its something that really shouldn't be done in an iron skillet (not much in that category, although eggs come to mind), then I have a couple of plain stainless Revereware's...

Good Cookin, Good Eatin, Good Lovin (as "K." Paul Prudhomme likes to say)

Buffy