Science Forums

How many house plants does Hypgraphy grow?

Ganoderma

might be neat to see how many plants all of us keep indoors, this does not include in your yard/garden/greenhouses etc. just indoor plants. Michaels "we need a trillion more plants" thread, inspired this.....see how many we got started :shrug:

how it works is you count your plants, and add it to the number in the post above.

right now indoors i have 287 plants. so the next person takes their total number, adds it to my number and posts the final number, and so on.

see how many plants. also if you kill a bunch or something, make a new post and subtract the ones you lost from the latest posts number :singer:

sound fun? maybe im just too bored ;)

to start: 287

Not counting the ones I left at my now ex-grilrfriend place and hence my ex-home I am left with 5 plants. Also I do not count the ones I brought in my office at work.

So the total of 2 posts is now (so in average I would have more than 100 plants...how big is your place ganoderma?):

offices and work are ok as well, the idea is truly indoor plants, but your workspace/areas/homes :shrug: lets include decks so long as they are potted plants :singer:

not a huge house, but i fill it with many plants. but i love plants. our house has 3 rooms, 1 is a bedroom and one is a propagating room (for plants), which leaves us with one room to live cook and sleep lol....my wife is not the happiest about it, so we are looking to buy a house instead of renting. then i can have more plant rooms ;)

most of my plants are cacti, so i guess they don't help a whole lot as far as air cleaning goes, but they are plants none the less.

i just bought a couple plants for my wife (although she doesn't realize that she actually wants them yet), so

Wow impressing a whole room out of three only for plants, do you have a couch there as well in order to relax between the plants? That would be really nice!

Counting the ones in the office (one is not mine but it is still here), but not my ex-plants left at my ex-house (actually one of them I really loved!) I get to 2 more (I know, I know, much writing for only two plants), so now we are up to:

Well, after a fungus infection killed off my one fern, we had to get rid of all the plants in the house. And so my sister thought it was very funny to get me a little plant for my birthday, in a cute little terracotta pot. All awesome. Except for the fact that it's a marijuana plant. Weed, indeed. A Pot-plant, no less. So, "Robert", as we've christened him (after Robert Plant, of course), lives indoors and out, so he gets some sun during the day.

Which was not a good idea at all. Because, see, last July the woman thought that geese are cute. So she got two goslings in varying stages of cuteness. And the goslings did what goslings do best, they grow up at a hell of a rate eating anything in the garden that's either green or has more than four legs. And they like totally crap all over everything. And they eat. God, do they eat. Apparently, three geese eats as much as an adult sheep. But we've only got two. So, if you can picture two-thirds of a sheep grazing in your garden, that's about as much damage as they'd do. Okay - apart from bleeding profusely, two-thirds of a sheep won't do much (but goes great in a curry - provided you have a big enough pot) - but you get the idea. Or think of how a whole sheep will destroy your garden and take a little off, and you'll feel my pain having two geese on the lawn.

So - cutting a long story short, after the geese-blitz, there's not so much green stuff left in my garden. Except, of course, for mister Robert Plant. And I got home the other day, being met at the gate by a very odd-looking goose. His one eye was staring at a spot on the floor, and the other eyeball was trained squarely on the outside tap. His head was doing the whole "walk-like-an-Egyptian" thing, whilst quacking away in beat to the neighbour's dog yapping at his back door. And Robert Plant was now a sad little stump of less than a centimeter sticking out of a very empty pot.

My goose was well and truly cooked.

But in answer to the original post, I sadly have now no plants, indoor or out. 'Cause my goose got the munchies when he was tripping and ate what was left of my lawn.

• 2 months later...

My house is dark; I have one glassed in area with some light. In there, I have about 20 plants including a mushroom the other day.

I have been researching "grow lights" for plants and feel the best solution is probably the International Space Station's 1' x1' LED array. (Growing Australian natives at the moment!?) I have been trying to get info on its design. I went to a local electronics store and there are hundreds of different LED bulbs all with a various out-put/style/wavelength of light.

Anyone got any contacts with NASA? (Three degrees of separation?)

My hose is dark; I have one glassed in area with some light. In there, I have about 20 plants including a mushroom the other day.

I have been researching "grow lights" for plants and feel the best solution is probably the Space Stations 1' x1' LED array. (Growing Australian natives at the moment!?) I have been trying to get info on its design. I went to a local electronics store and there are hundeds of different LED bulbs all with a various out-put/style/wavelength of light.

Anyone got any contacts with NASA? (Three degrees of separation?)

Very interesting idea!

I'm in mind to do a little hydroponics on a very small scale, mainly a herb stand in the kitchen planted in a neutral medium with a water-based food source pumped through it with an aquarium pump. And the only thing stopping me was the light source. This LED thing didn't even cross my mind.

A contact with NASA as to wavelengths and what bulbs to use might present itself in the form of PYROTEX...

All we have to do is to meditate on His presence and repeat His name twenty times whilst walking backwards, and PYROTEX might show Himself in This Here Thread...

Well, this has been covered pretty thoroughly in the following thread:

<Damn, can't find it> :)

M, you participated. Do you remember the thread? I think Ganoderma was trying to figure out the best light frequencies for plant growth, which evolved from a discussion about LED grow lights. I checked the Hydroponics thread and the thread on "we need 1 million more houseplants" (or something similar), with no luck. I do remember some of the discussion was a bit off-topic, so maybe it's buried in an unrelated thread. ;)

Did someone call my name? Twenty times while walking backward in a circle (widdershins, of course)?

That was really wierd. One minute, I was fantasizing about Angelina Jolie (I was giving her an erotic tattoo) and POOF! the next minute I'm here typing a post in a thread I care nothing about.

Hmmm. Indoor plant lights. The place to begin is to find out what spectrum frequencies plants NEED. I know that the major variant of chlorophyll is most sensitive in the red part of the spectrum, and to some extent in the blue as well. That is why most plants are GREEN. Their surfaces reflect the light they do not need. :hihi:

However, not all reds are equal. The chlorophyll molecule is a "tuned oscillator" requiring photons of a very narrow bandwidth. There are variants that require photons a teensy bit redder, or a teensy bit yellower. Ideally, an LED array with 1/3 blue LEDs and 2/3 red LEDs would be close to maximum efficiency. Assuming the frequencies were 'spot on'.

[EDIT 1] From Wickipedia, we have:

Measurement of the absorption of light is complicated by the solvent used to extract it from plant material, which affects the values obtained,

In diethyl ether, chlorophyll a has approximate absorbance maxima of 430 nm and 662 nm, while chlorophyll b has approximate maxima of 453 nm and 642 nm.

Reading the graph, it seems the bandwidth is around 30 nm wide, around the very narrow peaks.

So, it looks like we need

red LEDs outputting from 420-450 nm, &

blue LEDs outputting from 640-675 nm.

[EDIT 2] Also check out this Wickipedia article on LED grow lights.