Science Forums

Finally switched to linux... what now?

Poor Mr Freeze....sounds just like when I was getting started....I'd be good for a bit then I'd try to install something else or change something...only to end up trying to figure out what I killed and how I killed it...usually giving up and doing a complete reinstall (which I learned is not necessary once you find someone to pester that knows the system:hihi:)

I'm still learning...

But it gets easier...

So hang in there and hopefully you'll find it just as nifty as you hoped.

mr d, you've not been on im for a bit, wth, who do i bounce my new social experiment ideas off of? who do i tell all the updates on the status of my mead? who's gonna listen to what's going on with my bike, eh, EEEEH?

Mr Freezy, its always a challenge figuring out new systems, stick with it, methinks you'll like it...

also ubuntu community is a great support resource.. and you can also ask here :)

your screen is "white...?"... can you elaborate on that a little?

I boot up in ubuntu and it goes to the ubuntu logo animated loading bar. After that, the screen turns white. Actually, when I looked at it closely, I noticed that it is mainly off-white and fades to white starting from the right bottom corner extending to the left upper corner of the screen. This takes about 20 seconds and then I'm left with a pure white screen. I let it sit for a while. After 5 minutes, I figured it was either f'ed or my graphics driver got corrupted. To test this, I entered my login credentials blindly and I heard the "ping" typical of being successfully logged-in. The screen remained white, but my hard drive whirring indicated that it was loading, just not visible.

I haven't reinstalled it yet, so if there's a way to fix it, I'm all ears..err...eyes.

Thanks for the encouragement DD! My post was during a bout of frustration. I *will* get it working! :)

mr d, you've not been on im for a bit, wth, who do i bounce my new social experiment ideas off of? who do i tell all the updates on the status of my mead? who's gonna listen to what's going on with my bike, eh, EEEEH?
I be poppin in from time to time sent a few messages no reply....said - well F*** you 2 den!!!:phones: I'll git me some:evil: and finally git me some sleepies too:D I dunneed ya ta haves me some fun:hihi:

Specially ifn yer gunna be a lil girlie an give me da silent treatment:hihi: TBA doesn't want to play ieder....so niether one of you any fun lately:(

Mr. Freeze I see'd dis when I first was trying to load Ubu.had something to do with die graphics settings you provided to it (was like a couple years ago so's I don't remember zactly what it was but it was something really simple and stupid {wanted to kick my own *** was so obvious and stupid but took me like a couple hours to figure out})......sorry no real answer there:( but definitly look for the stupid little things....this is very likely one of them rearing it's ugly lil head:shrug: What kind of compy you tryin to set up

....an old beater er sumthin?

Old 11-29-2007 #28 (permalink)

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Delitefully Derainged

Re: Vista owners beware

More reasons people don't go for the free linux It's a ROYALpain in the tush to download...The sites are definitly not non-geek friendly...It takes "forever" to download (after which it may or may not work)...and last but not least requires additional downloads of stuff (which may or may not work) to make a "live disk".

I still haven't succeeded in making a live disk just to try it (after hours of F#####g around with about 20 different sites. I still don't have a ______ing clue what the _____ I'm doing wrong!) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

a blast from the past.....worth rereadin jus cuz I'm that fkn funny:hihi: http://hypography.com/forums/computer-science/12599-vista-owners-beware-3.html

Thanks Gyps! :eek_big:

I finally reformatted, repartitioned, and reinstalled XP and Ubuntu. After working out a few kinks in Ubuntu (wireless card RTL8187B working for five minutes at a time and lack of video), I can finally say: All systems go! :hihi:

Linux makes some things seem magical. Like this:

Printer setup in XP: Download latest drivers (200MB), install software (~10minutes), deny multiple popups from HP, configure startup to omit HP services, reboot

Printer setup in Ubuntu: Plug in printer, wait 5 seconds, ready to go :hihi:

Now I just have to learn the ins and outs of terminal language and I'll be quite happy.

Linux rocks! :heart:

yes :hihi: contrary to somewhat unpopular in linux world and popular in microsoft world belief, linux actually supports much more hardware then windows, by the nature of the drivers, they are written for chipsets, not particular cards, thus by the latest counts, linux runs on more hardware then netbsd (and that says a lot). Only problem is that it most of the time does not support latest most hardware, and it generally does not support a lot of one-off nics, like some randome revision of some chipsets, but for nics, ndis to the rescue, you can use the ndis wrapper with windows drivers in linux for any networking hardware :eek_big:

for nics, ndis to the rescue, you can use the ndis wrapper with windows drivers in linux for any networking hardware :eek_big:

Well, I guess I've read enough of those people that hate to think of using ndis, to not use it. :hihi:

I found a thread on ubuntuforums that suggested tweaking the nic down to 5.5M and that seems to have worked. At this point, I'm of the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :hihi:

grats for the wireless though, freez, I never managed to get it run on my fedora back at home, even though the network was seen...

Thanks Sanctus, it was definitely an historic moment for me.

I had to use 'sudo apt-get' many times and blindly follow advice I found online. Apparently, the hack I'm using right now is meant as a temporary workaround. Some users complained about this, but my thoroughput has not suffered at all! The video problem was much bigger and took me hours to solve. After trying everything and installing all kinds of codecs/progs/etc it turned out that as soon as I turned off desktop effects, video worked fine. :naughty:

SO i finally switched to ubuntu.

i am wondering what all stuff i can install (freeware / open source) so that i can tell my friends having vista how great is ubuntu :hihi:

seriously.

what all cool stuff can be done?, i need everything basic and advanced.

from sexy things to more sexy things...

THX

TBA

Go to System>Preferences>Appearance (I think) and max out the eye candy--wobbly windows and transparency (basically compiz fusion I guess.)

Then enable the other repositories and get the codecs. Scroll down for the right version.

[all variants] Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto - Ubuntu Forums

it depends on the hardware... and drivers, compiz will only run on hardware with native 3d accel... mind you it runs 5 million times better and more efficiently then aero or aqua (win and mac respectively), but needs native 3d accel supported, meaning proprietary nvidia or ati drivers, and some intel cards

was it an error associated with xv and current display?

No. I tried switching the output driver in VLC and it didn't fix anything. The only thing that made it work was turning off desktop effects. I think the problem is because my vid card (ATI Radeon x1270) is not registering in Ubu. I had a popup telling me that updated drivers were available, but when I click to download it, it just stalls at 0%. I'm hoping that it will be natively supported in future versions of Ubu.

yes :) contrary to somewhat unpopular in linux world and popular in microsoft world belief, linux actually supports much more hardware then windows, by the nature of the drivers, they are written for chipsets, not particular cards, thus by the latest counts, linux runs on more hardware then netbsd (and that says a lot). Only problem is that it most of the time does not support latest most hardware, and it generally does not support a lot of one-off nics, like some randome revision of some chipsets, but for nics, ndis to the rescue, you can use the ndis wrapper with windows drivers in linux for any networking hardware ;)