Science Forums

Finally switched to linux... what now?

You mean now the real fun starts. Installing aalib for the mplayer is something really cool, seehttp://hypography.com/forums/computer-science/14640-aalib-one-of-the-geekiest-libraries.html

Then you should install and use the xfce desktop (waaaay cooler than gome or kde) and personalize it (style: no menus on the screen, but right click opens a menu, scrolling on desktop allows you to switch desktop, dragging windows from desktop to desktop,etc...)

And now work is calling, back for more cool stuff later.

libcaca, sanctus, its the same, but with colored ascii.

I personally think you need to use it for a bit before starting on your venture to show to other people what it can do, because in all honesty, it would look stupid if your friends start asking you questions that you have no clue how to answer...

p.s. what do you have for hardware that you are running ubu on?

Next step, to impress your friends you should learn right away doing everything from the terminal (stupid stuff like starting firefox, emacs,etc, but also cool stuff like append to all files in a given directory _copy for example).

But as Alex said, it will take some time (a few months, if you are trying out ubuntu let's almost every evening) until you can impress your frinds with ubuntu. That is my guess , maybe you are quicker, but you know Linux is my favorite OS, but I am objective enough to say that it is the less user-friendly OS I know.

Next step, to impress your friends

not exactly my point for learnin linux

but you know Linux is my favorite OS, but I am objective enough to say that it is the less user-friendly OS I know.

i agree.

i am trying to figure out but i desperately need stuff.

i tried linux caue i heard it offers a lot of customization than windows ( i've changed my login scree, workin on the boot screen now in my xp :read: )

so just wanted to try it out.

keep em comin...

THX

TBA

I am objective enough to say that it is the less user-friendly OS I know.
sanctus, i have Dfnitlyditrubd on linux, besides, that depends on how many OSes you know, and how versatile you are with command line... I, for one, think that Windows is the least user friendly OS, nothing in it makes any sense....

tba, you want "cool" software

compiz

beryl (working environment that beats both windows aero and mac aqua combined)

kde 4.2 (lots of new neat features)

blender (3d modeling software on some serious drugs)

vlc (media player)

kiba dock (dock)

grellm2 with the transparent theme (constant hardware monitoring)

openoffice

firefox (themed to match your deskop theme)

amarok (music player)

i dunno what you mean by "cool" what is it that you are looking to do, i guess?

like true islam, people come to use linux, because they realize that nothing else makes sense to them... and this really has nothing to do with religion, or my views and beliefs as opposed to yours. there's no need to "degrade" windows, it has it's place in the society, and people who use it, or don't understand the difference, and are not ready to pass over to something better, though it's better from my perspective and for what i tend to do more, we dont force people to change over, people come to change....

Fart knocker!!:eek2:

And that be a trick question.:lol:

Ubu. in most respects is no different to use than Windoze with the exception of being much faster on my machine for some reason or another (P4).

Big balls with hardware issues (some still not resolved).:roll:

Command line very reminisent of the good ol days of dos:)

BTW Apple hates open source....so newer Ipod only kinda sorta work with Ubu. (deliberate on their part) :bow:

Wifey still like windoze betta for imaging so maintaining dualboot a must....but does provide insight into how much better and more secure Ubu. is vs windoze.

besides text comands free up the right hand for more important things:hihi: