Science Forums

Finally switched to linux... what now?

download the ati drivers (proprietary), there are instructions on the ubu forums, i'm sure you can find them, its on installing proprietary ati drivers...

Ok, I installed the ATI drivers and they seem to be working fine. I tried Ndiswrapper and I think it worked, but how do I check?

For some reason, I'm unable to make a post at ubuntuforums. :)

did you read the tutorial on how to setup ndis wrapper?

I'm not sure if I read *the* tutorial on setting up ndiswrapper, but I found one specific to my nic. :)

testing is easy, you unload the nic module and make it use the ndis wrapper module... network works, then it works, network does not work, you did something wrong

As I read someone say earlier today, doing stuff in linux is easy *if* you know what you're doing. :doh:

How do I "unload the nic module"?

What I did was use ndiswrapper to load the .inf file for the XP driver. It loaded and showed that the device was detected. I ran ipwconfig (I think that's what it was called) and it showed that I have a wlan device, but didn't say anything about ndiswrapper. In any case, it hasn't stopped working for over an hour now, so it seems to have worked. I'd just like to know how to check simple stuff like this.

What are the cool programs for making music on linux?

I've downloaded Hydrogen and Ardour, but I'm thinking there's better stuff out there...

Can someone make heads or tails of this? It'd be great to have juce apps in linux! It seems though that the dev of juce (jules) is behind the times. :)

If juce will work in Linux, it seems that Tracktion should work as well? Y/N?

hydrogen is a drum machine (takes practice to know how to work)

I don't think anyone would just stumble upon Hydrogen if they didn't know it was a drum machine. ;)

what exactly are you trying to do with music?

Uh...make it. :)

I'm a home recording enthusiast and have thousands of dollars of musical gear and software, most of which will not work with Linux. But, I'd still like to play around with various apps I can find for Linux. BTW, my DAW is going to remain XP for the foreseeable future. It would just be nice to have some progs to sketch stuff out on the lappy.

You can listen to some of my music here:

Search results - 'freeztar'

EDIT: As a DJ, you'll probably like "Fly Amanita" the best. :doh:

Ok, well, you see what i mean, it really depends on WHAT it is you do, as to the software that will be best suited for the job. Example, I tend to use Audacity to make sound libraries for tracks, sometimes Live, and Traktor to mix it all (though i am finally getting some equipment to take it to a real realm from the virtual one, getting a Dennon dn-hs5500 multimedia player and a behringer djx700 mixer (it was reasonable and cheap ok, and dont dare to say mackie, i love mackie, but i dont have a grand to drop on one, as i dont have a grand to drop on a dennon digital fx mixer, or pioneer or anything really)

things you need to look at:

Jack (to bring things together)

Audacity

Hydrogen (not just their stock sets, make your own drum machine setups ;) )

Rosegarden

Creox

Jackbeat

Jackmix

JAMin

Dino

Alsamodular

qtraktor

Canorus

LilyPond (and denemo front end, but if you do compose, learn the language ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

LOVED the cartoon, BTDT!

Random Linux thoughts:

O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell" is indispensable

1st timers ahould go all or nothing

all - dedicate a harddrive if you don't know a primary partition from a logical

nothing - install to a thumbdrive, 2Gigs minimum numerous howto's for (k)Ubuntu

Windoze migrants will generally find KDE friendlier. but v4 still has some issues

It took me 3 months for the "lights to go on" and grasp the incredible power of Linux, however it took refusing to boot windoze for a month to get it that I could do everything I wanted to with the caveat that video editing, DX 9 gaming, while possible, are still better in doze.

Music Recording: If you have thousands of dollars to spend doze has an edge software wise. If you don't Linux has huge advantages in low latancy, nearly a factor of 10. If you don't already know what that is, or if all you know is what's advertised by doze software, learn the real facts. Think of online gaming with Zero lag vs/ 20msec lag. Latancy starts at the kernel and doze does not have custom kernels. One can compile one's own (not as difficult as it sounds especially if beginners use "make kconfig" before they're ready for "make menuconfig") but such distros as "64Studio" are designed and built specifically for sound recording/editing and have realtime kernels that are amazingly fast.

Ardour is presently the most feature full and professional DAW for Linux and is updated regularly, if they manage to stay in business snce they operate strictly on donations. There are numerous forums for Ardour and many have the coders themselves, even the original inventor available for Q&A. Watch version numbers carefully as there are huge advances in VST plugins nearly continually.

One last random thought on Linux (or any alternative, new-to-you OpSys) you should almost never reinstall, and rarely reboot. However, it isn't a bad idea to install either with the idea that once you mess it up *really* bad you're going to reinstall OR just install two copies on different partitions. Use one to thrash and learn, and once you have it, copy to the main. Then you might learn how to share $HOME and/or other directories and that when upgrading, even a MAJOR upgrade (even a new install once you're really good) you very rarely have to reinstall your apps.

Live CD's are still cool but thumbdrives are faster. Old laptop? Try Puppy Linux.

L8z

Jimmy

Rats! Sorry for important typo but

"make kconfig" should have read "make xconfig".

The advantage to beginners is that one can have a three frame view where one sees the kernel tree, the option, and the help/explanation all at once.

Ideally one should "make&&make modules" from a single user environment or at least from outside Xwindows, but debian based distros sidestep this for better and for worse.

Personally, I think Linux should boot to command line and from there activate whatever display manager login device one wishes (kdm, gdm, xdm).

best wishes

Jimmy

Music Recording: If you have thousands of dollars to spend doze has an edge software wise. If you don't Linux has huge advantages in low latancy, nearly a factor of 10. If you don't already know what that is, or if all you know is what's advertised by doze software, learn the real facts. Think of online gaming with Zero lag vs/ 20msec lag. Latancy starts at the kernel and doze does not have custom kernels. One can compile one's own (not as difficult as it sounds especially if beginners use "make kconfig" before they're ready for "make menuconfig") but such distros as "64Studio" are designed and built specifically for sound recording/editing and have realtime kernels that are amazingly fast.

Ardour is presently the most feature full and professional DAW for Linux and is updated regularly, if they manage to stay in business snce they operate strictly on donations. There are numerous forums for Ardour and many have the coders themselves, even the original inventor available for Q&A. Watch version numbers carefully as there are huge advances in VST plugins nearly continually.

I do music recording, and while it's fun to play with it in Linux, it's not a real option for me (at least right now). My device (Aardvark Q10) is not supported in anything other than doze (though some are trying to change that). Also, for people that have invested heavily in doze-based plugins (even VSTs), it's a no go.

I think that linux would be great for audio, but it needs the support of the industry. Otherwise, it will never catch on.

It takes more than Ardour. If Protools added Linux support, then that would bring about some real change. Otherwise, for pro audio situations, it will remain in the domain of doze or mac.

I hope I'm wrong though. :friday:

Well that's a safe bet! Somehow ProTools is such a monopoly in name recognition, even better tools can't compete. I know guys with Macs and PCs both with other software that are basically fuX0red. I have Sequoia which is monstrously good and there are many forum threads about this problem. Gearslutz is one and an excellent site.

I have worked with Ardour since way back when there were no docs and you had to compile it all on your own and the inventor would answer no questions. I have a fair number of my most important VST's working so I can sometimes divide jobs up where the low latancy advantage helps, like in punch-ins, but you're right, it's not really possible to do it all yet. To me though that is hopefully separate from being commercially successful. After all Linux is an enthusiast OpSys and I am ambivalent about it even being tempted to become the next Windows...No actually I am decidedly derisive of that concept.

BTW if you haven;t checked out 64 Studio it is pretty cool

c ya

Jimmy

I agree. I've never been a PT fan and have abhorred the industry-wide monopoly it has created. I run and love Tracktion. It's a shame it went from a dev environment (JUCE) to a mainstream outlet (Mackie). There's good and bad with it.

I really need to explore the nix DAW solutions more, but I've been hesitant to make the switch (if you know what I mean, which it seems you do). Since you are the third person to recommend 64 studio, I really can't say much more until I give that a try. :friday:

make xconfig

pshht, make xconfig is for little girls, real men use menuconfig, or just edit the .config file manually :(

xconfig implies an X interface, and when you are running 8-9 boxes that you constantly remote manage, X is just a bad practice, therefore if you want to learn an interface that works on all systems, use the curl interface with menuconfig :P

Ideally one should "make&&make modules" from a single user environment or at least from outside Xwindows, but debian based distros sidestep this for better and for worse.

you mean make && make modules_install and then you should reboot with the new kernel and probably modules-update afterwards, after which you should recompile/reinstall your alsa modules and recompile/reinstall any other third party drivers you may have had installed (madwifi-ng, nvidia or ati)...

configuring and compiling a kernel and all the modules, refreshing the module library in modules.d and finally recompiling the modules that were not compiled with hooks to your updated kernel in order to get your system back up and running, fairly straight forward stuff, here, freezy :(