Science Forums

Finally switched to linux... what now?

I've still been unable to get linux working good here. :shrug:

I have Kubuntu 7.04 installed, but it doesn't recognize my wlan card so I'm unable to get online with it. So, of course, I can't automatically update it to 7.10.

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and ran that via LiveCD. It worked and it recognized my wireless, but it was soooo slow that I decided to install it instead. But, since Kubuntu is currently managing my triple boot (XP,Vista,nix), I'm hesitant to overwrite that partition. Plus it was asking me to create a share partition without giving me the option to create one. (I later found out that grub can do this, but I still feel sketchy about losing my boot options once Ubu is installed over Kubu)

So, I installed Ubuntu under windows using the nifty new installer that places Ubuntu inside windows (selectable in the windows bootloader). Unfortunately, I get past the login screen and it just hangs. :(

I've been unable to figure out how to non-destructively make everything work. I would just start experimenting, but I don't have the means to back everything up right now. If anyone knows how to get it set up properly, let me know!

BTW, I've been seeking help on the ubuntuforums but I've only had one person helping me so far and they don't have any good answers.

dont be, because it's actually not related to the OS. The boot loader Ubuntu uses is called GRUB, it's been around for ages and loads just about every OS known to man kind. Point being that since the first half of grub resides in the MBR, it's not the part that loads your OSes. Ubuntu runs a script that detects Windows OSes and creates entries in the config file to load them. You can always back up your current grub.conf (located in /boot/grub/grub.conf). Just make sure that after the 8.10 install you take the windows parts out of the old config file and don't change the kernel load for the 8.10 kernel.

your windows parts should look like this:

(this is assuming that windows XP and Windows Vista are installed on hardrive 1 partition 1 and 2 respectively, the hd(x,y) part changes)

title Windows XP
rootnoverify hd(0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

title Windows Vista
rootnoverify hd(0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

but this actually invokes the windows boot loader on that specific partition so you can overwrite without worrying about the boot loader, in reality you could force ubuntu to not touch the boot loader, but its too much worry for your situation, as far as i can see, well, read

Add another HD....I use two separate drives for Ubu. and windoze....I like to keep them separate....among the many benefits are no overwiriting issues between the two....I've read that sometimes windoze oversteps it's bounds and writes in your Ubu. partition....Besides HDs are fairly cheap and it will give you more room to grow.

hehe, got ya going, Mr D, didn't i? :naughty:

apple does not hate open-source, they just dont cater to it, nor release any info... for what its worth, zune does not work on linux either, and at all... to my knowledge...

what else do you call it when they alter their hard/software so it can no longer be used very well with Ubu. and other Nux derivetives...I'll have to relocate the link I found on the subject....think I found it at Ubu. Forums.

Freezy, I gotta say tis unusual that you aren't getting better help. Usually they're right on the ball when it comes to sorting stuff out. you go under the Freezy handle there too?

windows does not, but if you resintall it or repair it, it will write its own boot loader, in which case you will have to redo the grub install, but its really easy

boot into a live linux environment

mount your linux partitions

bind proc

mount dev

chroot into your other linux installation

fire up grub

do setup (hd0)

do quit

logout

unmount all

reboot

and enjoy grub working again... because all the config files and your kernel are on a separate partition, everything should be back to normal.

Freezy, ask me, i will help (pm me, i'll send you my im info, etc)

Why would you install it in .....yegchk...windoze?

I was thinking about my ubu troubles this morning and remembered the big stopper. Ubuntu requires me to set up a share partition (I don't remember doing this when I set up Kubuntu). So I booted with gparted and tried to do that, but it will not let me create more than three partitions (I already have one for Vista, one for XP, and one for Kubuntu which is also a storage partition). So, the only solution is to delete one of these partitions or else reformat and set up extended partitions, or some such. This is why I tried to load it through windows.

The solution was made easy for me though as I got a nasty virus overnight somehow and it will not even let me boot into XP. When it logs me in, it immediately logs me out (even in safe mode). So, I think I'm going to spend the day backing up files using Kubuntu and then just reformat the drive and load everything back on. I'm not going to install Vista though. :lol:

Fun! ;)

Ubuntu does NOT require you to setup a share partition...

all it needs are 3 partitions, 1 for boot (i keep that one separate)

1 for swap

1 for /

boot - about 100mb

swap - i keep around 1024-2048 though i have completely not used swap at all before

/ - as much space as you care to give it

only thing is that your boot partition can not be a logical partition, and has to have a boot flag

for mount points, make sure boot mounts in /boot, slash in / and swap is swap

for file systems, keep boot ext2 or ext3, swap will be swap, / can be ext3, but i recommend reiserfs

do not touch the windows partitions, if you need to resize them, make sure you defrag them before hand, then gparted will resize them without any risk of loosing data, but remembering that you already have ubuntu installed, this should not be a problem.

if you need to make a partition to share data (one you can read an write to from both windowses and linux, make a partition with fat file system on it, all 3 OSes can freely read/write to it...

Ubuntu does NOT require you to setup a share partition...

Sorry, I meant swap.

if you need to make a partition to share data (one you can read an write to from both windowses and linux, make a partition with fat file system on it, all 3 OSes can freely read/write to it...

Doesn't NTFS work as well?

So, does this make sense for initial partitioning after formatting?

logical partition 1: xp

logical partition 2: /boot

logical partition 3: extended partition (/, swap, and share)

actually it does not, because vista writes different headers with ntfs then xp, sometimes security descriptors wont allow Xp to open those files up. Besides NTFS write is still considered to be experimental in Linux... better safe then sorry, FAT, unfortunately, still the only "Safe" choice... though i say that with LOTS of irony...

While I'm using my backup laptop waiting for my new HD to arrive, I decided to install Ubu 8.10 via wubi. I'm quite impressed so far! :naughty:

A few questions though...

Is it possible to move the top bar (applications etc) down to the bottom?

The package manager doesn't list anything for email, mathematics, or science. Does this mean that nothing is truly available, or is there another way to get some apps for these categories? (I'm assuming thunderbird works for Ubu, but I haven't checked yet) EDIT: nevermind, I donwloaded tbird, but how do I install it?

How do I access files on my xp partition/virtual partition?

I downloaded beryl as recommended. How do I use it?

answers are:

Yes, everything is possible, it's somewhere in the settings

no it does not, and also read the notes on enabling all of the ubuntu's repositories. aaand, there are a lot more packages for ubuntu in ubuntu, then for wubi. And yes thunderbird, evolution and many, many other email clients work in ubu... (p.s. Install everything through synaptic package manager, dont be a hero till you learn the somewhat advanced craft of installing software the hard way on linux)

in wubi? dunno

in wubi, once again, i have no clue, i dont think you can even use beryl in windows, infact i am sure you cant, because windows is not x11 based, in the actual OS, i can link you to some tuts on setting it all up tho

Easy come, easy go I guess. Upon updating Ubu and rebooting, my screen is white. The only option I know is to uninstall and install it again (plus spend hours reconfiguring it...again).

I'm starting to believe that it's just not worth it yet. :)

If I was savvy with terminal, I could maybe fix it, given enough time. Problem is, I need something that works consistently, now. XP, with all it's downfalls, at least works reliably at this point. Maybe I'll wait for 9.04. Maybe I'm just really, really sad that nothing seems to be working so far. :D

Maybe I'm being overdramatic though. How long did it take you to get everything working right in nix, DD?

FWIW, Tbird was not listed under "email" in the package manager, but a search for Tbird showed it. :naughty:

After all that, I noticed "Evolution" already was installed with Ubu. :lol:

I set that up, defined rules, etc.

It's gone now apparently...

Aaargh!

Ok, I'll quit my bitchn now. :)