Take A Moment

OpenMind5

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to Take A Moment for a great author "Arthur C Clarke"

"UPDATED ON:

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 19, 2008

3:44 MECCA TIME, 0:44 GMT"

Space Odyssey author dies

The science fiction writer' date=' Arthur C Clarke, who co-wrote the film, 2001: A Space Odyssey, with Stanley Kubrick, has died in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, an aide says. He was 90.

Clarke, who had battled debilitating post-polio syndrome since the 1960s and sometimes used a wheelchair, died at 1:30am on Wednesday

<-->

British-born Clarke was regarded as far more than a science fiction writer.

He was credited with the concept of communications satellites in 1945, decades before they became a reality.

Geosynchronous orbits, which keep satellites in a fixed position relative to the ground, are called Clarke orbits.

Clarke's non-fiction volumes on space travel and his explorations of the Great Barrier reef and Indian ocean earned him respect in the world of science, and in 1976 he became an honorary fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

But it was his writing that shot him to his greatest fame. [/quote']

Al Jazeera English - News - Space Odyssey Author Dies

InfiniteNow

Well' date=' okay. I suppose another moment won't hurt anything. [/quote']

So sorry I didn't mean to double post, :)

I seem to have skiped a few posts when I hit the "view first unread" ??? :eek:

Lets Take A Moment for my friends at Hypography,

without them I would be Lost.

Thanks InfiniteNow ;)

A moment for bowel movements.

Without them, the world would be filled with very unhappy, frowning people. Bowel movements is the biggest single ingredient in basic human happiness, yet discussion thereof is not welcome at garden parties.

...gardens, of course, growing in topsoil, which is of course 99% humus, which is of course the result of millions upon millions of tiny insect bowel movements.

Imagine a week without any bowel movements anywhere in the world.

Wars would break out over the last laxatives.

I think a good movement deserves a moment.

• 1 month later...
Take a moment for the passing of Tim Russert, longtime political journalist and host of Meet the Press. Tim, age 58, collapsed & died today at work in Washington DC. :msn:

Motion seconded.

The Associated Press: Russert and his Sunday morning grilling

Public figures brought their talking points to "Meet the Press." Tim Russert brought his laser intensity, a skeptical gaze and facts they'd rather forget.

"Let's watch," Russert would say week after week, the Sunday morning chef about to make the powerful eat their words. "Let's listen."

Out would come the videotape, the audiotape, the old quotes.

You could almost feel the guest squirm.

For the political class, perhaps nothing was more challenging — yet unavoidable — than a Sunday morning in the "Meet the Press" hot seat facing its tenacious host, who died Friday.

YouTube - NBC reports that Tim Russert passed away http://youtube.com/watch?v=iDN7aQTTr8w

:rip:

Most pundits and commentators wear their affiliation and ideology on their sleeve. Five minutes of watching Chris Matthews or most any other “news analyst” will tell you exactly what their bias is.

I never, after watching Tim every week for so many years, could tell how he voted or who he favored. He was one of a kind and my Sunday now feels ruined. This election year feels ruined.

It feels like all the Karl Roves out there were just handed a victory while the voters lost something of value.

Untimely in many ways. A real loss.

-modest

• 2 weeks later...
:rip: Here's George from the grave. Miss ya Buddy. :P
The original seven words were, ****, piss, ****, ****, cocksucker, mother****er, and tits. Those are the ones that will curve your spine, grow hair on your hands and maybe, even bring us, God help us, peace without honor um, and a bourbon.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...