Science Forums

New Birth Control for Men

Its about time.

Men have had few option when it comes to birth control.

Men have also been at he mercy of women and their sly machinations when it comes to conceiving a child, by "accident" or shrewd manipulation and cunning in many instances.

If a woman doesn't wan't to get pregnant, she has a dozen options. Men only 2.

So if a woman "accidently" forgets her shot or pill, then men now have a back up.. or at least studies are suggesting.

After all, 18 years is a LONG time for fiscal responsibility if the relationship doen't work out.

And it happpens ALL the time.:thumbs_up

Contraceptive for men a shot in the arm | NEWS.com.au

NEW Australian-developed contraceptive jab for men, taken four times a year, has been proven to be just as effective as birth-control pills for women.

Sydney researchers found the hormonal injection is a quick and reliable method of contraception for up to 95 per cent of males.

Until now, the only effective non-barrier contraceptive for men was a vasectomy, meaning that women tended to take on theresponsibility.

Now there is an alternative - but pharmaceutical companies have shown little interest in making it available to the public.

The new jab works by suppressing sperm output but does not have a permanent effect.

Made up of a combination of the hormones androgen and progestin - mostly testosterone - it needs to be administered every two to three months.

Researchers from the ANZAC Research Institute, University of Sydney and Concord Hospital studied 1756 men aged 18 to 51 and found the combined jab was quicker and more effective than an androgen-only version.

Read more at the link above...

I've seen the harm that "Depo shots" can do and I'm not too comfortable with hormonal alterations via pharmaceuticals.

Whaddaya think goes into "The Pill"? What's good for the goose...

I prefer a condom any day! :hihi:

I would too, actually, but I just never seem to find one that fits...

Whaddaya think goes into "The Pill"? What's good for the goose...
:cup:
I would too, actually, but I just never seem to find one that fits...

Oh gosh, we're not going to get into that silly "girls don't like short guys" topic again, are we?

Honestly, short is just fine. Heck, fingers are better. (There. Satisfy your libido guys? :) )

I could then have looked on him without the help of admiration, though the catalogue of his endowments had been tabled by his side and I to peruse him by items, :phones:

Buffy

Oh gosh, we're not going to get into that silly "girls don't like short guys" topic again, are we?

Honestly, short is just fine. Heck, fingers are better. (There. Satisfy your libido guys? :cup: )

Stop it. You're gonna make me book a flight. I have family in your neck of the woods, you know. :phones:

See I don't have to worry about takin' drugs. I've had a section taken out of each of my vas deferens which is probably the best birth control method there is for men. It is, for the most part, a lifelong commitment though, but there are no recurring costs.

No one gets hurt when you're shootin' blanks. :) :hihi:

Believe it or not Rac, I'm *all* for it! :cheer:

Ya still gotta wear a condom though! :)

I know not which pleases me better, that my husband is deceived, or Sir John, :hihi:

Buffy

I think I'll stay with my vasectomy, even if Buffy says a condom is nesesarry anyway.......:phones: :cup: :bow:

Whaddaya think goes into "The Pill"?

I'm not a fan of "the pill" either.

What's good for the goose...

What's not good for the goose...

I support people's rights to use these contraceptives. Considering the amount of humans on the planet, I *urge* it.

I practice my own form of contraception that does not require any drugs or latex. :)

No, it's not abstinence, god forbid. :cup:

If you don't know your partner very well, you have to wear a condom. She might be a carrier of Herpegonosyphilaids. :)

Damn, I think I'll celibate forever:doh: No wait I do have a partner I can trust, oh yes, thank you my sweet heart:) Evidently 32 years of monogamy has it's benefits!:cup:

I'm not a fan of "the pill" either.

What's not good for the goose...

I support people's rights to use these contraceptives. Considering the amount of humans on the planet, I *urge* it.

I practice my own form of contraception that does not require any drugs or latex. :phones:

No, it's not abstinence, god forbid. :)

Hmmm, care to let us in on what it is? :cup:

Hmmm, care to let us in on what it is? :cup:

There's one way to avoid conception. Prevent the semen from reaching the egg. There are two ways of doing this without drugs or latex. One is to simply not emit any semen. The other is to emit the semen somewhere else. :)

There's one way to avoid conception. Prevent the semen from reaching the egg. There are two ways of doing this without drugs or latex. One is to simply not emit any semen. The other is to emit the semen somewhere else. :cup:

Maybe we should continue this on PM:shrug: