Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

And while delving deeper into Turtles Diabling, and the sacred geometery that is the Vesica Piscis, I found some good info.

This probably has been covered already, and if so may serve as a refresh...:hyper:

http://www.halexandria.org/dward097.htm

Essentially the intersection of two, overlapping spheres, the Vesica Pisces (including the interior portion of it, and/or the more common two dimensional version) represents, among other things:

1) The joining of God and Goddess to create an offspring,

2) A symbol for Jesus Christ,

3) In art a pointed oval used as an aureole in medieval sculpture and painting,

4) The vagina of the female goddess,

5) The basic motif in the Flower of Life,

6) An overlay of the Tree of Life,

7) The formative power of polygons,

8) A geometrical description of square roots and harmonic proportions, and/or

9) A source of immense power and energy,

BTW.. Sweet Turtle!! :)

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzpr2Uenyk&mode=related&search=

And while delving deeper into Turtles Diabling, and the sacred geometery that is the Vesica Piscis, I found some good info.

This probably has been covered already, and if so may serve as a refresh...:)

1) The joining of God and Goddess to create an offspring,

2) A symbol for Jesus Christ,

3) In art a pointed oval used as an aureole in medieval sculpture and painting,

4) The vagina of the female goddess,

5) The basic motif in the Flower of Life,

6) An overlay of the Tree of Life,

7) The formative power of polygons,

8) A geometrical description of square roots and harmonic proportions, and/or

9) A source of immense power and energy,

BTW.. Sweet Turtle!! :D

Sweet yourself Racoon San; sweet yourself.:cup:

Your succinct summary list is not fully addressed elsewhere and it is welcome here. If for no other reason you have prompted some new experiment ideas for my vesica piscis-shaped Khua as I now plan to put some hair around it in the form of a glued fringe of short threads. :cup:

In the mean time, today I shot a short video of toe-dibbling ("dibbling" is the term I give to operating a spinning disk) YouTube - What is that!!?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmScuiCyHs8

While we are adding accoutriments to the khua, how about angling the holes and putting elevated intakes so that is whistles while spinning?

I am trying to find the CD Kuah I built with the kids. It seems to have been absorbed into the oblivion of their bedroom. :hihi:

Bill

Parents must go where angels fear to tread. :)

I have tried angled holes on a 12" circular disk made of 1/4" plywood, but never achieved what I call "whistling". (That's not to say it won't work, as I think it can.) I did however achieve whistling by gluing 2 plastic whistles to the edge and on opposite sides and facing opposite directions. I also experimented on large disks with cutting rectangular ports and fastening "reeds" over them in an attempt to get a harmonica type sound. Again, I never achieved that but I think it is possible and simply requires tweeking.

Off to check that fur glue. :)

I must admit, I have not kept up with this thread...

...but I'm extremely impressed Turtle. Really.

I wish I had the time... and of course the creative engineering prowess that you possess. :)

I bow down before you!

(without sacrificing the integrity of my religious beliefs. *Please God don't smite me for Idol worship*)

I must admit, I have not kept up with this thread...

...but I'm extremely impressed Turtle. Really.

I wish I had the time... and of course the creative engineering prowess that you possess. :)

I bow down before you!

(without sacrificing the integrity of my religious beliefs. *Please God don't smite me for Idol worship*)

You are too kind young man. :) But here, we have bumped our heads together each bowing to the other! Your integrity is preserved. :) '

I have tried the Khua with the new frill, and find even this little amount makes a distinct difference in the sound that emanates from the disk along the axis of the string, but very little difference in the sound that emanates from the disk at right angles to the string. I plan to make short audio recordings with each addition of threads until the entire circumference is frilled. Man, this is gonna be one hairy Khua seven ways from Sunday.;)

Turtle Out :hihi:

I have tried the Khua with the new frill, and find even this little amount makes a distinct difference in the sound that emanates from the disk along the axis of the string, but very little difference in the sound that emanates from the disk at right angles to the string. I plan to make short audio recordings with each addition of threads until the entire circumference is frilled. Man, this is gonna be one hairy Khua seven ways from Sunday.;)

Turtle Out :)

Attached find a short audio recording of the frilled Khua's sound along the axis of the string. For want of a better term, I call this sound "whooshing" as opposed to the sound at right angles to the string which I call "thrumming" or "warbling".

:eek:

It'd be interesting to see if dragonflies and hummingbirds start flocking toward your living space in unprecedented numbers. I think of Crododile Dundee when I hear your recordings of the khua... :)

Excellent observation! Certainly all creatures great & small pause for the sound; whether drawn in or repelled is a matter of the operator's(s') intent.

Here is (intentional number agreement error;) )a couple quick drawerings (intentional misspelling;) ) of the current situation kind:

Left-most drawing is proposed complete linkage & cam for unit under construction. Right-most drawing is an alternate rigid arm design using no pivots.

:hihi:

Hold on to your panties 'cause dey a whoe lot o' toe dibblin comin' yo ways. :doh: :hihi: I have used a variation of my SUCTON (Straight Up Camera Top Oriented North) unit and set up a makeshift SUCTOE unit (Straight Up Camera Top Oriented East) and recorded a1.5 min toe dibblin to da Blues extravagansitight. :D :D :) :doh: :hihi: :hihi: :eek: :hihi: :D

Back with the link as soon as YouTube catches up to my enthusiasm. :hihi:

Get dat grip Now!!!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZ2COrw1Aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZ2COrw1Aw ;)

That's.... errr... interesting...

hhahaa.

Fancy footwork Turtle.... but WHY?? :eek:

Quite simply because I can and no one else has. :hihi: :) :hihi: :D :D :hihi: :hihi: ;) :D

:hihi: Imagine now a circle of six toe dibblers....if you dare. :doh:

PS I have a new short video coming of me using my bullroarer to apply a throat strike to a disembodied watermelon head attacking me with a battle axe. It's a peach I tell ya, a peach! :D :doh:

PS I have a new short video coming of me using my bullroarer to apply a throat strike to a disembodied watermelon head attacking me with a battle axe. It's a peach I tell ya, a peach! :hihi: :)

Never underestimate turtles with sticks n' strings. :hihi: While the ring of the wooden bullroarer striking steal predominates, that part of the strike followed the deep penetrating laceration of the enemy melons neck . Don't try this at home :hihi:;this requires professional science experts at work. :

YouTube - battle axe watermelon head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OlxUsGMS0Y

That's.... errr... interesting...

hhahaa.

Fancy footwork Turtle.... but WHY?? :hihi:

As the more-intense-than-usual back pain sets in, I begin to question why myself. :naughty: :hyper: The answer is no longer I can and no one else has, it's I could and no one else had.. ;)

But in the meantime I stumlbed across another short clip of Racoon & me working the Giantest Khua; this time using a log rather than a stick. It's a peach! :hyper:

YouTube - giant khua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nuKH3JPR0

I had a vision of a kuah big enough to strap a couple of small children to, and then spin, spin, spin!! What a ride that would be. I wonder if they did something like that for training the astronaughts? Or if it could be an amusement park ride? Like twisting up a swing and then letting it spin down and up and down and up...

I can almost smell the puking now... :naughty:

Bill

I had a vision of a kuah big enough to strap a couple of small children to, and then spin, spin, spin!! What a ride that would be. I wonder if they did something like that for training the astronaughts? Or if it could be an amusement park ride? Like twisting up a swing and then letting it spin down and up and down and up...

I can almost smell the puking now... :hyper:

Bill

Here ya go then from the bowels of Hypography Science Gallery.(Click image for full view) Add a couple o' tot tiedowns & away we go! :hyper:

PS As an added bonus, the puke is thrown clear of the operator/devotee!:naughty:

Here ya go then from the bowels of Hypography Science Gallery.(Click image for full view) Add a couple o' tot tiedowns & away we go! :hyper:

PS As an added bonus, the puke is thrown clear of the operator/devotee!:naughty:

If you build it I will suppy the kids. In various weights and sizes. In the name of science!

Bill