Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

Once the machine is operational I intend to put a sound cover over the spinning disk, much like a guitar body. Part of my planning for the motors, & other drive mechanisms under the deck is to muffle their sound & minimize vibration.

Holy flabberghasted ghost Batman! That's enormously sweet! :cup:

How about making one that focusses sound like a guitar, with a resonant chamber? I'm thinking aborigene (sorry for spell error) tribal type piece that can be heard across great expanse.

Living vicariously through Turtle,

Holy flabberghasted ghost Batman! That's enormously sweet! :eek_big:

How about making one that focusses sound like a guitar, with a resonant chamber? I'm thinking aborigene (sorry for spell error) tribal type piece that can be heard across great expanse.

Living vicariously through Turtle,

I failed to properly communicate my intention:doh: ; it is exactly as you phrased it & I bolded.:eek_big: Once I have that setup operational, I intend to build another just like it so I can investigate interference patterns between the 2.:naughty:

I also plan to mike the sound & amplify it. As if I don't frighten my neighbors enough spinning my bullroarer

while hidden in the back yard at night!:hyper: :lol

PS Uhmmm...now I wonder if I understood correctly myself.:) When you say "like a guitar", do you mean in the exact shape of a guitar body? Viola? :cup: :naughty:

The purpose of the fabric is to fill the gap a bit around the aluminium arm and make it snug in the guide. I want the fabric to reduce noise, minimize friction, and seal air gaps.

I went to market yesterday but I found no felt!:D I avoided total flummoxing by buying for 50¢ some cotton dusting cloths & bier. Combining the two in a bio-pyro vessel, I line the actuator-arm guides. (The guides are not yet fastened to the main deck)

Actuator-arm Guide Lining Detail

Let's

Kick It Up

A Notch!!!

/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

An Open Challenge/Contest

**** PRIZE ****

One Kustom Katabatak Hypography Turtle Signed Limited Edition Print

Awarded to anyone producing bona fide evidence of:

1) A description of a disk-spinning machine that predates my own description.

2) Evidence of an extant working disk-spinning machine that is submitted here to Hypography before my own machine is operational.

Open to Individuals or Teams, whether University affiliated or not.

Not so much in the exact shape. I was thinking in terms of function, so it could of just as easily have been a violin or banjo. :cool: You'd answered my question... Many thanks. BAM! :eek2:

BAM it is! :) Because the machine is experimental I am making every effort to allow for the interchangeablility of parts, including various reasonating chambers.:)

With the actuator arm supports now done, the next work is on the actuator arms. Using the 3/4x3/4 inch aluminium angle stock I will machine hooks on one end of each for the string, cut them to length, and then polish them.

I have settled on a 12 Volt motor for power; manufactured by Johnson, it is rated around 15,000 RPM. It is the type typically found in the toddlers' kiddy cars.

BAM! :angel: :D

Just wanted to add I’m aquiver with anticipation (OK, I’m not actually quivering – it’s just a metaphor!) for Turtle to get everything together and actually run it. In the 20 month history of this thread, and the nearly 13 months since Turtle first posted a sketch of his design, I don’t believe anyone has determined, theoretically or experimentally, if an automatic scheme like this – where the pull/relax cycle is fixed, not controlled by some sort of feedback like what a human uses to work a disk-on-a-string – will work for more than a few cycles. I harbor a suspicion that version 1 of the machine will be an unexciting raising-and-lowering-disk-on-a-string machine.

:beer: :smart: We should form a virtual betting pool on the success of the Mark-1 machine – it has the essential elements of seeming simplicity yet uncertainty that make for a good betting subject. :hihi: :beer:

:beer: :smart: We should form a virtual betting pool on the success of the Mark-1 machine – it has the essential elements of seeming simplicity yet uncertainty that make for a good betting subject. :hihi: :beer:

I am just learning HTML and the other languages associated with the WEB. This is my first encounter with the :beer: :beer: *content* :beer: :beer: delimiters. But as always, Craig, you are technically way ahead of me. :hihi:

I am a firm beliver that Turtle is a living incarnation of Benjamin Franklin. And as such his machine will be a glorious success. I therefore bet that the Mark1 machine will exceed 2 minutes of sustained autonomous operation after being started within 3 days of Turtle describing it with the word KAZOWIE!.

I love this thread.

Bill

Just wanted to add I’m aquiver with anticipation (OK, I’m not actually quivering – it’s just a metaphor!) for Turtle to get everything together and actually run it. In the 20 month history of this thread, and the nearly 13 months since Turtle first posted a sketch of his design, I don’t believe anyone has determined, theoretically or experimentally, if an automatic scheme like this – where the pull/relax cycle is fixed, not controlled by some sort of feedback like what a human uses to work a disk-on-a-string – will work for more than a few cycles. I harbor a suspicion that version 1 of the machine will be an unexciting raising-and-lowering-disk-on-a-string machine.

:beer: :beer: We should form a virtual betting pool on the success of the Mark-1 machine – it has the essential elements of seeming simplicity yet uncertainty that make for a good betting subject. :beer: :hihi:

Excellent! We have the beginnings of a jury. :hihi: Buy all means, establish a pool.:beer:

I have bolded your phraseology because therin lies the uncertainty; the nature of the human feedback. For that I am relying on years of working the disks by hand (and foot;) ), as well as years of building machines.

First, the term "automatic" appears firm without further elucidation.

Second, the term "feed-back" appears flacid without further elucidation. I propose we delineate between "active" and "passive" feedback. For example, I do not plan to actively switch the motor on & off coincident with the pull/relax cycle, however I do plan to passively moderate the cycle by incorporating a flywheel and using rubber drive wheels and/or pulleys rather than gears in the transmission.

I am a firm beliver that Turtle is a living incarnation of Benjamin Franklin. And as such his machine will be a glorious success. I therefore bet that the Mark1 machine will exceed 2 minutes of sustained autonomous operation after being started within 3 days of Turtle describing it with the word KAZOWIE!.

I love this thread.

Bill

I love that you love this thread.:hihi: A deeper mystery than if I was Ben before, is who was Ben before!?:beer:

Off to the workbench for me! :smart: :beer: :hihi:

With the actuator arm supports now done, the next work is on the actuator arms. Using the 3/4x3/4 inch aluminium angle stock I will machine hooks on one end of each for the string, cut them to length, and then polish them.

One Actuator-arm Hook cut & filed, one to go. I love my jewlers' saw & files.:D

I have cut the actuator arms to length & buffed them; I plan to eventually polish & wax them with paste wax.

With those lengths determined, I established the positions of the actuator arm guide supports, and using a continuous length of angle stock to hold them in aliignment, I glued them to the deck. Here is the drying glue setup using math books for clamping wieght. (They are heavier per volume than other books!:) )

Meantime, I have started laying out the sliding pivot. I plan to use a curved slot to keep the thrust vectored in line with the actuator arm, rather than a straight slot which would increasingly thrust down on the arm. In either case, as the pivot pin travels down in the slot, the effective length of the main pivot arm is decreased.

Back up the rabbit hole then! Hurry up and watch that glue dry overnight. ;)

Meantime, I have started laying out the sliding pivot. I plan to use a curved slot to keep the thrust vectored in line with the actuator arm, rather than a straight slot which would increasingly thrust down on the arm. In either case, as the pivot pin travels down in the slot, the effective length of the main pivot arm is decreased.

Laying out the general parameters of the main pivot arm, axle, and axle bushings, I follow some rules of thumb. A dry layup is often a good start.

Note: I doubled up on two of the labels to clear them of the Hypography watermark; my bad.:cup: :)

I have also tried operating the disk by working the actuator arms by hand from the ends; very very satisfying.:hihi: Place your bets, ladies and germs.:lol: :cup:

Laying out the general parameters of the main pivot arm, axle, and axle bushings, I follow some rules of thumb. A dry layup is often a good start.

And a good start deserves a good finish. :hihi: The main pivot arms are now cut to length (plus some extra margin), the axle holes drilled in the arms, the axle bushings installed & adjusted to the deck, and the arms temporarily installed.

Next is to establish the positions & dimensions of the pin on the actuator arm and the slot on the pivot arm that follows the pin. From my earlier measurements of the disk & string:

String: 1mm braided satin cord (nylon)

Length unwound 33"___850mm

Length lightly twisted 30"

Length tightly twisted 28"

I have planned for a maximum throw of 5 inches and a midrange of 3 inches; this gives a range of travel of each actuator arm at a maximun of 2 1/2 inches. This is the maximum distance the afformentioned pin travels horizontally and outward. I need a bier now!:) ;)

The 8 step cycle:

power unwind left

unwound thump

momentum wind left

stop

power unwind right

unwound thump

momentum wind right

stop

Next is to establish the positions & dimensions of the pin on the actuator arm and the slot on the pivot arm that follows the pin. .... I need a bier now!:hihi: :friday:

Two biers and a pot of coffee later, one linkage complete & tested. Yipppeeee! Too late tonight for a movie, so here's a scan of the pattern & the machined arm. If I don't wake up dead tomorrow, I hope to get a round to it and complete the second arm.

:cup: