Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

This thread makes me wonder if he was actually analyzing while he walked, instead of just giving his hands something to do.

For all this, this is the first I’ve heard, and, according to a google search, the first internet mention, of Kim Peek playing with a button on a string. My guess is that his attention was attracted to the regularity of its cycle and the sound it made, not to any analysis of its physics.

Although Peek’s memory and other skills are extraordinary, and he’s unusual among savants in displaying original thought, and his ability to interact somewhat normally with people, he’s very limited in his ability to understand cause-and-effect connections and symbolic representations of the kind needed to consider the mechanics of even a simple physical system. ...

:shade: Mmmmm...didn't find an e-mail for Mr. Peek did you? The best I could find was a gal setting up appointments for appearences at schools by Mr. Peek & Mr. Peek.* :) :D

Whether or not Kim has any thoughts on the physics involved, I bet he remembers where & when he learned about the spinning-disk-on-a-string, as well as 98.8% of everything he has ever read about the device. :) :)

*The Real Rain Man: A Father's Inspiring Account of Kim Peek, Made Famous by Oscar Winner Dustin Hoffman

Kim was usually mumbling/muttering something while he spun the button. Asking him questions didn't get much response. :shrug:

I'm glad to read that Kim's doing well. Too bad his parents divorced. I wonder whatever happened to his mother, as well as his younger brother, my old friend Brian (Cruise's character -- same hair color as Cruise, also fun-loving & caring, but squarer of face). :confused:

Kim was usually mumbling/muttering something while he spun the button. Asking him questions didn't get much response. :shrug:

I'm glad to read that Kim's doing well. Too bad his parents divorced. I wonder whatever happened to his mother, as well as his younger brother, my old friend Brian (Cruise's character -- same hair color as Cruise, also fun-loving & caring, but squarer of face). :confused:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention kazh. I sent an email to the gal I referenced, and explained my interest in communicating with Kim and included a link to this thread. Two steps back, two forward. :roll: :shrug:

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

:rotfl: :doh: :doh: :doh: :spin:

https://www.myspingym.com/flare/next

SpinGym® is portable so you can easily carry it in your purse, briefcase or even your pocket. It comes fully assembled and ready to use out of the box. Plus, it weighs less than 1 pound, but produces more than 20lbs of resistance per pull. A 5 minute workout with SpinGym® is all you need to re-energize and to effectively tone and strengthen muscles on your upper body.

Here's how to really effectively tone!! :)

Science Forums - Largest Diable in the History of the World

Don't forget the lower bod! :hihi:

YouTube - extreme feet dibbling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnOq4M25eo

I broke up my earlier start, but is anyone up for a contest to make the first operable dibble machine yet? :cap: :smart: :(