Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

• 1 month later...

Strangely, kata spelled backward is atak... hmmm... Coincidence? :)

Stranger still is that katabatak begins & ends with kata...hmmmm...coincidence? :)

Given the rich variety of experimentation only suggested, I think the most interesting experiment(s) involve building a machine that works a spinning disk. Anyone up for a contest? Only depending on the prize perhaps? Thoughts? Suggestions? Challenges?:cup: :cup:

• 1 month later...
Given the rich variety of experimentation only suggested, I think the most interesting experiment(s) involve building a machine that works a spinning disk. Anyone up for a contest? Only depending on the prize perhaps? Thoughts? Suggestions? Challenges?:D :hyper:

___I have started construction of a spinning-disk-on-a-string machine and consequently taking a sabbatical from posting in order to focus on that work. I will of course have photographs of the project when I return; video if I make a workable machine.

___A thanks to Alxian & Craig for their comments on such a device earlier in this thread, & to BigDog for his encouragement.

___I plan to follow the general design I earlier drew & posted in post #36. :doh:

So, how do you put it into action?

___I don't yet exactly know.:doh: I am engineering it as I go. :hihi: I first decided to use my regular everyday disk; then I used those measurements as a guide for constructing the 'test bed' as I last posted it. I welcome any comments, insights, or specific design drawings & descriptions. :) :)

___I am considering the pivoted arm arrangement, with a pivoted arm on each end. A single arm on one end, and the disk will move forward & back in relation to the center of the bed which is undesirable as I plan to use a fixed microphone in conjunction with the machine.:eek2: ;) :lol: :coin:

Draft detail of machine pivot-arm:

Today I plan to build supports for the horizontal actuating arms as I drew them on the diagram in the previous post. Looking over the draft drawing however I see the cam won't work as I drew it because the pivoting arm gives a reversal of direction. In other words, my pull you would be a push me.:eek: :shocked:

Shhh!!!! Everyone be very quiet. I have gotten a photograph from inside Turtle's shell...

Which one is Turtle!?!?! :eek2: I think he is the one in the lab coat. I see the new machine up on the landing behind his assistant. What is with the military guy?

Bill

Muahahahaha!!!! :) I have sworn an oath to not discuss the presence or absence of the military guy(s) and/or gal(s) in this phtograph or project, or any of my other discourses; mums the word.

I have settled on a support design now for the horizontal actuating arm. The arm is made of 1/16" thick, 3/4"x3/4" aluminium angle stock. In order to make the cuts in the 5/8" plywood supports, I have to make a jig for the table saw and the glue is drying on that now. Lot o' waitin' for glue to dry in this business.:hihi: Photos to follow once the supports are cut, assembled, and attached to the test bed.:ud:

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Or "and slow it goes"! :shrug: :shrug: :D I am working only indirectly on the machine. I have spent the better part of a week searching the house for some felt sheets I need to line the horizontal actuating arm guides pictured above. All to no avail!! I may break down this weekend & go to a market & buy another piece of felt if I don't find it in the house by tomorrow. Once it is installed, it's on to constructing the pivots for the sliding-pivot pivot arm.:)

How much felt is needed? Can usually get a big square for 99¢ at the local art/crafts/hobby shop. I'd go with ultra suede myself, but I guess felt will do. :eek_big:

Mornin' Now! Mornin' KAC! Mornin' et al!:cup:

Uhmmm....I just need about 4 square inches.:naughty: :naughty:

A regular felt aficionado you are Now.:) The purpose of the fabric is to fill the gap a bit around the aluminium arm and make it snug in the guide. I want the fabric to reduce noise, minimize friction, and seal air gaps.

Once the machine is operational I intend to put a sound cover over the spinning disk, much like a guitar body. Part of my planning for the motors, & other drive mechanisms under the deck is to muffle their sound & minimize vibration.

Kaffee bitte? :hyper: :eek_big: