Science Forums

Mobile phones & society

Boerseun

Heard some crazy mobile phone stats on the radio now:

There are now three and a quarter billion cellphone subscribers on planet Earth, according to some Britain-based research. I'll look for links.

Apparently, it took twenty years for the first billion to sign up, 40 months for the second billion, and less than 24 months for the third billion!

Subscriptions world-wide are currently growing at more than 1,000 new subscriptions per minute, with the highest growth of new sales in Africa, China and India. The latter is understandable if you consider that the developed countries have probably saturated their markets quite a few years ago.

I put this in Social Sciences, because I think the proliferation of mobile phones are an even more important newly introduced tool ('New' relative to society) than the internet. Imagine - for the first time in the history of the world, more than half the global population can simply pick up a little machine about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and make immediate contact with 50% of the population of Earth. And the phoneless half is shrinking at a rate of 1,000 per minute. This is awesome. Compare this to only a few years ago, when you had to go to town with a few coins in your pocket in case you had to make a phone call. Compare that to around a century ago, when landline telephones were still strange and incomprehensible oddities to most.

I can't imagine my life without my cellphone, or the internet. In that order. But what does this incredible communication ability mean to human society as a whole? I think its a brilliant thing as far as the Third World is concerned, thoughts and ideas can now proliferate much quicker and freer than ever before, and ill-thought attempts at censure like China trying to censure the internet will prove unworkable.

But however it pans out, I don't think human society will ever be the same again because of cellphones. Like they say of the iPhone, even an old first-generation Nokia brick with mono screen and no fancy features, is indeed a "God-machine".

Subscriptions world-wide are currently growing at more than 1,000 new subscriptions per minute, with the highest growth of new sales in Africa, China and India. The latter is understandable if you consider that the developed countries have probably saturated their markets quite a few years ago.
True, but the most interesting to me is that the Third World is *skipping* wired communications technology (can't find the article, but the source is The Economist of a few months ago)!!!

The real growth is the relatively poor folks out in the boonies who can now afford these dirt cheap phones, and can no longer live without them. As soon as you get beyond subsistence-level, you need to be hooked in.

I think this opening of communications is going to be earth-shaking too, and its just voice (and maybe IM), the Internet is secondary....for now...

OMG, TMI RSN, :)

Buffy

IMO the numbers Boerseun is quoting are overinflated, let me tell why.

In India, there is presently a war going on between the mobile phone service providers, every few months a SP will come up with a more attractive offer. The subscribers have also got smarter. The number of SIM cards a particular customer can register for is unlimited, more so the pre paid variety. College students often keep on switching from one SP to another, depending on their perception of the economy and the service provided by an SP.

But notwithstanding the above facts, it is true that mobile phone services are being adopted by an increasing number of people who never had a phone earlier, mainly because it is perceived as mean to earn more. Various people engaged in providing sevices of plumbing, electrical repairs and delivery of groceries and vegetables are acquiring them. And yes, they are earning more!:)

Imagine - for the first time in the history of the world, more than half the global population can simply pick up a little machine about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and make immediate contact with 50% of the population of Earth. And the phoneless half is shrinking at a rate of 1,000 per minute.

<...>

But what does this incredible communication ability mean to human society as a whole?

With the ever decreasing size in the chips and antenae, I'd suggest we're rather close to electonically assisted telepathy. Combine a cellie with the BrainGate technology and, who knows? :)

I don't think the figures are shocking and to be honest wouldn't be surprised of an increase of 33% on that either because we now live in a society where technological innovations are commonplace and we all expect to have these new innovations. It's just with figures that we have now, we now realise the true extent of the expectations of people to have them which is why we view them as shocking.

In terms of society, yes it has made huge developments. Not once when watching New York or Dublin City or any other city for that matter will you see people rushing down the streets with mobile in hand chatting away, it has aided Business as well as deals are made more swiftly with better communications open so no door is left unopen.

In India, there is presently a war going on between the mobile phone service providers, every few months a SP will come up with a more attractive offer....
That's to be expected. I have two cell phone accounts and no one in my family is without at least one and in some cases two as well. This exactly parallels what happened when land lines really became commonplace and everyone had a second unlisted phone and another for fax (my last house was wired for 3 lines in every room!)...

Of course I came from a family with 3 people, 5 cars and 4 trucks. But then again it *was* Southern California....

And it never rains, ;)

Buffy

Cell phones definitely have their utility and convenience.

However most people should NOT drive when talking on a cell phone, as its a detriment to public safety; and its ridiculous to see everyday passerby's and shoppers gabbing obnoxiously on their cell phone as to seem socially relevent.

Whatever happened to good old silence and unobtrusiveness??

Give major credit to the marketing departments for ramming cell-phone use down everybody's throats to create cell-phone use as an urban neccesity.

BTW, the iPhones look great, but I'll wait until the next generation to purchase one. Theres always kinks and bugs in the first generation.

I'm currently one of very few people I know who does not own a cell-phone. :) Due to my non-conforming personality disorder. :D

However business practically necessitates one, and eventually I'll succumb to "progress of the technological gadget" kind.

Cell phones are great for emergencies and for being reached at all times of the day ( even when taking a piss ). But they aren't crucial to deciding whether to get Rasin Bran or Cheerios's at the supermarket or wasting time gossiping shades of lipstick while driving 45 miles an hour.. ;)

My mom was recently in a car accident a couple weeks ago as she was turning left at a green light when a ditzy 19 year old ran a red light while blabbing on a cell phone.

Thankfully it was merely front end damage, but she could have easily been t-boned into the ER.

I highly encourage and support laws banning cell phone use while driving.

How about when using handsfree bluetooth earpiece?

Much better as you have both hands free for the steering wheel as opposed to 1 arm and hand propping your cell phone against your ear, or tilting your head diagonally to sandwich your cell between the shoulder and cranium.

Although potentially distracting, its about as comparably bad as having unruly kids in the back seat screaming in your ear. ;) :)

Proud of my 10 year perfect driving record,

Racoon