Science Forums

Technology is so cool...

As I'm sitting here, I am a little bit happier than I was a few minutes ago. It's been one of those days, you know. And as I was typing, I got this *beep* that told me I had a new text message. I was checking my e-mail at the time and reached for my cell phone. I found the same messageon both phone and inbox. An AMBER alert... If you're not in the states, you may not be familiar with the term, but it's enough to stop a mother's heart.

Amber alert is a National alert system that indicates a child is missing, and has possibly been kidnapped. The alert flashes all over the place, on TV, on the amber highway signs, over CB, and now even over cell phones, blackberries and e-mail.

Not 10 minutes later, the alert was cancelled, as someone that received the alert on a wireless device recognized the car from the description and called 911. Child was recovered, and I'm sure the story will follow on the 6oclock news.

It's not a huge thing as far as technology, but it sure does get my vote as one of the best uses of technology ever. Just thought I'd share that with you, as I was happy for the GOOD news this afternoon. :)

It's not a huge thing as far as technology, but it sure does get my vote as one of the best uses of technology ever.

Agreed. This shows that it's often not the level of complexity that counts, but the way any technology is used.

And these days we need to save all the kids we can...what with the tsunami and everything.

• 5 months later...

Imagine a future in which everybody is under continuous surveillance by everyone. Crimes will then proceed with Official sanction only. Remember how the USSR staffed its gulags (forced labor camps): A sprinkling of real criminals to run the place with murderous efficiency, plus an ocean of political prisoners to labor and die.

The single most valuable asset of law enforcement is crime, as the Vatican only exists given the Devil. The idea here is treatment not cure. Why waste assets on criminals who have nothing to lose (and shoot back) when they can fine harmless you $300 for jaywalking? Those who trade liberty for security will obtain neither.

agreed, karl, I'd rather use a laser mouse with a wheel myself, rather then a ball point one without :hihi:

actually talking about mice, i quite like my new logitech cordless mouse with invisible optic technology, its quite reliable, and is not that surface color dependant, not as dependant as laser mice are anyways...

naw, its ok C1ay, i really dont like the trackball mice, you see, i do graphics quite oftenly, and trackerball mouse is just not what i'd like to use, but its all a matter of preference. For example, i like my touchpad quite a lot on my laptop, but some of my firends prefer the older style laptop mice (those knobby thingies) whereas i cant stand them, but i can use them...

on that note, uncle i also have a few thoughts of my own about the justice system. I really dont think that it is right and that it works greatly, here's an example:

ok, so police catches a drug realer on the streets, red handed and puts him away for 5 years.

ok, first that guy has to go through court, which is not an inexpensive thing on its own, between judges, lawyers and time and process, it will take about 10-15 thousand dollars to get him convicted. Whats next? jail, even if it costs $75,000 to keep a person in jail for a year, times 5 and you get $375,000 for keeping the guy in jail. His wife and 3 kids does not have a job and daddy's income was the only thing that fed the family, so she goes on medicaregetting a few dozen thousand dollars a year, in the end the state spends close to 800,000 thousand dollars on convicting and putting away a drug dealer, who would have contributed to the economy, and where does the money come out of?, right, my pocket, as well as yours and everyone elses. seriously, the justice sstem is so inefficient, that a toster being that inefficient would draw almost all the power from a nuclear power plant in order to toast a regular piece of bread...

serisously, if the justice system was made even a little more efficient, more technological break-through researches could be funded, more space exploration crafts built, maybe within a few years other planets could start getting colonized... etc

on that note, uncle i also have a few thoughts of my own about the justice system. I really dont think that it is right and that it works greatly, here's an example:

ok, so police catches a drug realer on the streets, red handed and puts him away for 5 years.

ok, first that guy has to go through court, which is not an inexpensive thing on its own, between judges, lawyers and time and process, it will take about 10-15 thousand dollars to get him convicted. Whats next? jail, even if it costs $75,000 to keep a person in jail for a year, times 5 and you get $375,000 for keeping the guy in jail. His wife and 3 kids does not have a job and daddy's income was the only thing that fed the family, so she goes on medicaregetting a few dozen thousand dollars a year, in the end the state spends close to 800,000 thousand dollars on convicting and putting away a drug dealer, who would have contributed to the economy, and where does the money come out of?, right, my pocket, as well as yours and everyone elses. seriously, the justice sstem is so inefficient, that a toster being that inefficient would draw almost all the power from a nuclear power plant in order to toast a regular piece of bread...

serisously, if the justice system was made even a little more efficient, more technological break-through researches could be funded, more space exploration crafts built, maybe within a few years other planets could start getting colonized... etc

I would love to see more money being put into space programs etc but the more money that is made available to politicians the more they will oppress the average citizen. I live in the UK and the police spend more time sitting in a van at the bottom of my road catching speeding motorists than they do chasing real criminals.