Science Forums

Technology is so cool...

I would love to see more money being put into space programs etc but the more money that is made available to politicians the more they will oppress the average citizen. I live in the UK and the police spend more time sitting in a van at the bottom of my road catching speeding motorists than they do chasing real criminals.

well i am an aussie and the only time i ever see the police is when we drive past the police station the greatest use of technolgy is as i keep saying the wheel best evention ever

wow, they are not sitting at the nearest donut shop?
This is the UK - we don't *have* doughnut shops. :hihi: Weird, I know!

As for the police state through technology, I see non-lethal crowd control being the biggest threat to liberty. Being able to invisibly CS or Tazer a crowd, or use (infra or ultra)sonics, lasers or microwaves to cause pain, will let any dictator to do as they please.

No longer will the will of the people en masse cause change, since they will be quickly and easily dispersed (or driven towards prison camps) by a high powered noise that is unbearable and disruptive.

Imagine what these non-lethals will do when used to oppress a people. The US are making them for use in Iraq, and if they work there on AK weilding bomb carrying fanatics trying to oust an invader, then what hope for mass direct action in places full of soft white folks who just really don't like one set of laws?

As for the police state through technology, I see non-lethal crowd control being the biggest threat to liberty. Being able to invisibly CS or Tazer a crowd, or use (infra or ultra)sonics, lasers or microwaves to cause pain, will let any dictator to do as they please.

No longer will the will of the people en masse cause change, since they will be quickly and easily dispersed (or driven towards prison camps) by a high powered noise that is unbearable and disruptive.

Imagine what these non-lethals will do when used to oppress a people. The US are making them for use in Iraq, and if they work there on AK weilding bomb carrying fanatics trying to oust an invader, then what hope for mass direct action in places full of soft white folks who just really don't like one set of laws?

I'll take AK wielding, bomb carrying fanatics over british thugs anyday

"British hooligans best in the world"

A very good and valid point!

The powermongers of the day invent all these "non-lethal' crowd-controlling weapons, and totally rob the people from the only actual power they had, which is mass-protest!

You call that a democracy?

Bollocks!

>Sure you do - I visited Dunkin' Dounuts on Picadilly Circus last time I was in London.

Tormod, there's also one in Glasgow. But two (as far as I know) isn't enough to fit all the cops in! We also have a lot of small bakers' shoips and the like, but there is nothing like the Do'nut culture over here. Which is weird!

A very good and valid point!

The powermongers of the day invent all these "non-lethal' crowd-controlling weapons, and totally rob the people from the only actual power they had, which is mass-protest!

You call that a democracy?

I didn't call it a democracy. Tyranny of the majority, is more like it. In fact, it isn't even that. It is tyranny. If Tony wants something, he does it. He normally runs it past a focus group first, and spins it just right, then rams it down our throats anyway, because the majority (has been told they) want it.

However, if it doesn't suit him to go with the hue and cry, "we cannot be ruled by a mob mentality"!

Removal of the right to freely protest has already long since gone in the UK. Weapons like these will ensure that the current difficulties enforcing that (in the number of police it needs, who have to put themselves in harms way) will disappear.

Sure you do - I visited Dunkin' Dounuts on Picadilly Circus last time I was in London.

Tormod, there's also one in Glasgow. But two (as far as I know) isn't enough to fit all the cops in!

Ah, I overlooked that slight point. But surely UK cops can queue up like everyone else? :hihi:

lets just hope that noone will abuse this to waste precious people time for false alams...

1984 by G. Orwell

Fahrenheit 451 by R. Bradberry

Advances in technology are awesome. The potential to abuse it is huge. Should be NOT develop? No. Should be instill an ethic of responsible usage? Yes.

jCc

Tormod, there's also one in Glasgow. But two (as far as I know) isn't enough to fit all the cops in!

see there are two dunkin donuts shops in London, I'm sure that we can stuff all the police officers in London in there now, all i need to prove my point is someone from the UK.......aha, nkt, ok, nkt, all i need you to do is gather all the police officers in London and stuff them into the DunkinDonuts shops, then take pictures, we're golden, sort of like the clowns in the car. Ok, are you ready? ... set ... stuff :hihi:

Tyranny of the majority

Imperialistic kleptocracy?

Fahrenheit 451 by R. Bradberry

that was an interesting book, just hope that books never get burned, but thats what you get with politicians with an IQ of less then 75, actually the Nuclear war that starts at the end of the book is quite cool to discuss...

Advances in technology are awesome. The potential to abuse it is huge. Should be NOT develop? No. Should be instill an ethic of responsible usage? Yes.

Anyone here a fan of Stargate-SG1? that is what a large portion of that series is about, course they try to show corruption, will and domination along side of a lot of other interesting things to think about, but that is exactly what higher races in that series try to prevent... something worth thinking about...