Science Forums

Wtf?

Boerseun

___Visions, dreams, voices in the head. All religious writing stem directly from one or more of these phenomena.

Psychatrist to Turtle in Psych Ward: "If you think dreams have any connection to reality then you're pschotic." (Gives anti-psycotic pills to Turtle which cause severe physical reaction still manifest as exaggerated perseverations in his feet)

___WTF is an understatement. Turns out I'm autistic not psychotic, but it's mental illness none the less & for anyone taking too seriously dreams, visions, & voices from their head I believe the case is the same. I think most people agree. So why do people then believe such stuff from people they don't even know, let alone long dead people they don't know?! Good grief!

If one's beliefs are based on nebulous theories and ideas, one does not like to be reminded of that fact. But this is true in all walks of life. The whole political correctness approach works the same way. Saying what should not be said may create doubt with respect to cherished beliefs. Not too long ago I began to dump on science, to get a reaction, especially things like the earth's core being unproven, etc.. I got the same irrational reaction from scientfic rationalist. Nebulous is everywhere. It is easier to see it others than in one's own beliefs.

Originally Posted by Boerseun

..."Jesus drinks Castle Lager with His pork chops"

Thereby offending Christians, Muslims, Jews, AND Alcoholics Anonymous!

...AND vegetarians!

You mentioned Jesus!

Us atheists are very offended!

And us wine drinkers. Even if he didn't exist, Jesus should have tried an Australian Shiraz over that nasty beer piss.

As far as I am concirned both science and spirituality can drag you down a path towards insanity. That is if you take in one or the other as a belief and take it too far.

For example, you can chuck science out the window and believe in the fact that you are a spirit and your body is some kind of prison you are trapped inside it will mess with your dailey life. Or, you can totally disregard that side and believe in science to such an extent that you say to yourself I am nothing but a bunch of atoms, my feelings and consciousness are a trick from interaction between these atoms, my existance means mearly nothing in comparison to universe about. When I see a tree, I dont really see a tree I see a strange phenomina of atoms cooperating together to randoml form a blue spruce. This is so hurtful to your inner being to assume this atomic world is truly the maker of all things when the rest of things can be disregarded. Are you really eating some taters and corn? or should you believe my automaton body of atoms needs some other chemicals to relieve my hunger reaction emotion from other molecular structures and feed myself energy. These are true but a life needs self meaning and importance and balance to stay from getting absolutly corrupted in either side of reasoning and thinking, which I am refering to science / spirituality.

They are both there.

Very interesting.

Yeah, Everybody I know that has ever gone out to seek truth has-at one point- believed they were "going insane"

I used to, too!

I then realized I didn't agree with society in America,

So then I decided to Manipulate it.

That's when I realized I loved nature severely.

I can't take anything seriously anymore.

Paperwork?

Spirituality surrounds me and inspires me to seek

more knowledge.

Can you aquire knowledge

with the blink of an eye?

If you can

Life must be beautiful

and menacing

And when you smile

Your eyes must be so wide.

If you've got an ally

that simply Allows your mind