Science Forums

Wtf?

Boerseun

Hi Qfwfq. Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree with you that we are presented with a certain set of facts. Some of these facts include, unfortunately, individuals in power, both East and West, who sincerely believe in the irrational, and let that irrationality guide them as they steer their countries into the future.

I accept the fact that the majority of Earthlings are followers of the same ideologies and beliefs.

But, an average Muslim will tolerate a Christian, and an average Christian will tolerate a Muslim. But both will despise an atheist. Now why, oh why, would this be the case? Why should we treat these people all suffering from a mass delusion with silk gloves, but be dismissive of atheists? Don't atheists also deserve to be heard?

I'm afraid atheism will have to come up with an armed wing (IRA fashion) or suicide bombers (Al Qaida fashion) before they'll be given the time of day, or be taken seriously.

Are you at all concerned that the leaders in this world's obsession to grovel before their imaginary deities is offensive to me?

Or is it 'less' wrong to offend an atheist than it is to offend a believer of some kind?

But, an average Muslim will tolerate a Christian, and an average Christian will tolerate a Muslim. But both will despise an atheist. Now why, oh why, would this be the case? Why should we treat these people all suffering from a mass delusion with silk gloves, but be dismissive of atheists? Don't atheists also deserve to be heard?

I seem to remember reading a study somewhere that concluded religious belief or faith in general is some kind of psychological disorder. :hyper:

I seem to remember reading a study somewhere that concluded religious belief or faith in general is some kind of psychological disorder. :hyper:

Lol... you know, C1ay, that was just a political and marketing based ploy to allow the pharmaceutical companies to find a greater audience for their product.

"Are you religious? Do you find yourself worshipping a God? If so, try Prozeist BC, or, ask your doctor about Viagod..." :)

"Side effects may include...." Nah. Not gonna go there! :hyper:

I'm afraid atheism will have to come up with an armed wing (IRA fashion) or suicide bombers (Al Qaida fashion) before they'll be given the time of day, or be taken seriously.

I would contend that the average anybody tolerates all peaceful people. I have never seen atheists treated worse by religious types than they treat anyone else. When dealing with zealots they treat everyone who believes differently as equally wrong, not just atheists.

As for arming or committing terrorism to get the atheist point across... uhh... are you serious? What is the bases for such a suggestion? In what way are atheists not treated seriously so that you need to take up arms and commit terrorism? I am guessing you are venting some frustration, or being ironic somehow. If so you have lost me on that point.

Bill

I don't think he was 100% serious about that and I hope he wasn't too serious about being offended by believers. If he was serious, he could always help Putin to restore the full-blown Soviet regime. :hyper:

Boerseun, reasonable believers aren't offended by respectful atheists. It is possible for each to live and let live.

Boerseun, reasonable believers aren't offended by respectful atheists. It is possible for each to live and let live.

Wait a tick.

Aren't they supposed to convert us all into "fishers of men" or something?:hyper:

I've been reading "The Moon is Harsh Mistress" where one of the characters says something like "Religion is plauge that humanity carries with it wherever it goes." I don't remember the exact quote. I've got a feeling we're never going to get rid of it entirely.

Maybe at some point though, we can rub out all the rough bits, so it actually becomes a helpful way of looking at the world. (It could happen! :hyper: )

TFS

Wait a tick.

Aren't they supposed to convert us all into "fishers of men" or something

That doesn't mean being offended by nonbelievers, it only means persuasion. Only extremists resort to "strong methods" or discriminate against others but I can't think of a basic religion that requires them. Christianity and Islam don't, Judaism even less.

Little kids have an unshakable belief in Santa Claus. Up until your parents come and bust your dreams and illusions of this fat, bearded chimney-jockey out the window, laughing at you while they're at it:

"Haha, Jimmy, we had you fooled all along! There is no flying fat guy with a penchant for milk and cookies! And, hey - while we're at it, there's no tooth fairy either! Hahaha - good one, the joke's on you!"

The above happens in one form or another in millions of households, every year. And what purpose does it serve? The belief in Santa Claus serves as a teaching tool to keep kids in line. Santa only brings gifts and toys to the good kids, remember. Therefore, parents have a threat over their kids lasting the whole year, by witholding some stupid $10 Mattel rip-off at the end of the year. Ten bucks for good behavious seems a good price to pay.

But what does it achieve? All it does is to plant the seeds of cynicism and mistrust in kids. How should you take anything your parents say seriously, from this point forward? They lied to you! Worst thing is, everybody was in on the act! Supermarkets plaster Santa's face all over their merchandise for months on end! Why? Because perpetuating the lie is to the shopkeeper's benefit. He makes serious moolah out of gullible kids and guilt-ridden parents.

Religion?

Same thing.

Only difference, very few people has the guts to stand up and point out the fact that the emperor is, indeed, naked. And the inherent momentum that this 'machine of guilt and delusion' have built up over the last two thousand years or so, is such that throwing it out the window will be well nigh impossible. This fairy tale has grown to such proportions that it's feeding itself. The leaders of organised religion have taken the baton of the 'carriers of human morality' upon themselves, and deny the fact that an individual human being is perfectly moral all by him/herself, thank you very much.

Some people I speak to say they believe, but also give creedence to my point of view. But, they reckon, one day when we die, if I'm right they haven't lost anything, but if they turned out to be right, I'm gonna fry in hell. WTF?!?!? Do they see 'religion', and all that it entail, as a bet? Are they hedging the odds? What ****in' morality is that?

Seeing as nobody else is willing to do it, I will. So here goes:

The Emperor is nekkid. Religion is bunk. Take your collecting plate and go away now.

Little kids have an unshakable belief in Santa Claus. Up until your parents come and bust your dreams and illusions of this fat, bearded chimney-jockey out the window, laughing at you while they're at it:

"Haha, Jimmy, we had you fooled all along! There is no flying fat guy with a penchant for milk and cookies! And, hey - while we're at it, there's no tooth fairy either! Hahaha - good one, the joke's on you!"

The above happens in one form or another in millions of households, every year. And what purpose does it serve? The belief in Santa Claus serves as a teaching tool to keep kids in line. Santa only brings gifts and toys to the good kids, remember. Therefore, parents have a threat over their kids lasting the whole year, by witholding some stupid $10 Mattel rip-off at the end of the year. Ten bucks for good behavious seems a good price to pay.

But what does it achieve? All it does is to plant the seeds of cynicism and mistrust in kids. How should you take anything your parents say seriously, from this point forward? They lied to you! Worst thing is, everybody was in on the act! Supermarkets plaster Santa's face all over their merchandise for months on end! Why? Because perpetuating the lie is to the shopkeeper's benefit. He makes serious moolah out of gullible kids and guilt-ridden parents.

Religion?

Same thing.

Only difference, very few people has the guts to stand up and point out the fact that the emperor is, indeed, naked. And the inherent momentum that this 'machine of guilt and delusion' have built up over the last two thousand years or so, is such that throwing it out the window will be well nigh impossible. This fairy tale has grown to such proportions that it's feeding itself. The leaders of organised religion have taken the baton of the 'carriers of human morality' upon themselves, and deny the fact that an individual human being is perfectly moral all by him/herself, thank you very much.

Some people I speak to say they believe, but also give creedence to my point of view. But, they reckon, one day when we die, if I'm right they haven't lost anything, but if they turned out to be right, I'm gonna fry in hell. WTF?!?!? Do they see 'religion', and all that it entail, as a bet? Are they hedging the odds? What ****in' morality is that?

Seeing as nobody else is willing to do it, I will. So here goes:

The Emperor is nekkid. Religion is bunk. Take your collecting plate and go away now.

HUH???

:eight: :confused: :Crunk: :ebomb: :hyper: :singer: :hyper: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :confused: :Alien: :dog: ;) :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :) :circle: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :shade: :girl_hug:

HUH???

:eight: :confused: :Crunk: :ebomb: :hyper: :singer: :hyper: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :confused: :Alien: :dog: ;) :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :) :circle: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :shade: :girl_hug:

that's what we said Argonautically Informative,

LIKEWISE

said the Chief.

Boerseun,

I enjoyed your post, as well as the varacity with which you shared your feelings and thoughts. The logic followed might be that religious folks are, in at least some respects, childish. I know many on this site will have issue with that, but are they perhaps just hedging their bets?

It is an issue of behavior control, but instead of Mattel, adults are given hell (and I guess some heaven).

I agree with ALMOST everything. You said relgion is the worst thing invented? No. It had its benefits. Its bring useless hope to some who otherwise would commit suicide...wait that would be like population control...ok forget that one. Hell and Heaven were invented concepts due to that mind can not accept its own demise, but its has benefits, people believe if they do good things they will have a perfect life in afterworld or something, but if they do something bad they will suffer for all eternity, now I don't know about you, but to me this seems like a great system to keep law in check. The bible is just an old book of fairy tales and science and religion are two different languages searching for the same truth...and science is winning through logic, equations..etc. (didn't I mention this in another thread, oh well)

Oh I am sorry, you mentioned all this in other pages. Well this has been a waste of an opinion.