Science Forums

Religious Nuts

cwes99_03

This is not a discussion about any personal religious beliefs that are in question.  This is a discussion about labeling people as religious nuts.

[b]If you are one of those who have been called a religious nut, may I ask you to hold your tongue until I have had sufficient time to hear some responses and make my point. [/b]  

over 65% of all fertilized eggs do not come to term. Most not even implanting in the uterus wall. The main reason being the resulting combo of the 2 dna's developed a mutation beyond the female's body excepting the results. Thus the vast majority of "human (sourced) zygotes" are NOT HOMO SAPIENS.

And for the religious nuts, this means that their god is the most prolifict abortionist there ever will be. One has to wonder how thick of a slime layer there is in heaven from all the naturally aborted cell balls with souls.

I only wish I could stick around to see the reactions to such factual information.

The above is not intended to single out freethinker in any way. I have seen others refer to religious people as zealous nuts among other names. I believe this to be against forum rules, but this thread goes beyond that point.

My question here is what those people with those views know about religion. If you are one of those who have been called a religious nut, may I ask you to hold your tongue until I have had sufficient time to hear some responses and make my point. Then I'll step aside and let others weigh in for their part. This is not a discussion about any personal religious beliefs that are in question. This is a discussion about labeling people as religious nuts.

1) For those of you who have used this or similar terminology to refer to people, were you including all people of any religion?

2) Were you specifically refering to those people of any religion that are particularly zealous in their beliefs?

3) Are you particularly refering to those who believe in the Bible?

4) Have you yourself studied the religion, its ideas, its texts, the different denominations or sects and their beliefs, or are you just calling them nuts out of a disdain or hatred towards anything that you don't believe can be proved (without having studied the basis for their beliefs)?

If you would like to include comments, but don't want to be singled out, please send them to me in a PM.

I don't know if I have called anyone a religious nut, but I do occasionally refer to "bible thumpers", but not as anyone who believes in God, but to people who run around thumping people over the head with their bible and expecting everyone to believe what they believe. I firmly believe in freedom of religion and tolerance to other people's beliefs, no matter who nutty they may seem to you. I think it's fine to tell other people your views and what you believe, but to try to convert them by trying to strike fear into them and not respecting their beliefs is just wrong in my opinion.

1) For those of you who have used this or similar terminology to refer to people, were you including all people of any religion?

2) Were you specifically refering to those people of any religion that are particularly zealous in their beliefs?

4) Have you yourself studied the religion, its ideas, its texts, the different denominations or sects and their beliefs,...

1) No

2) Yes

3) No

4) Yes

1 no, but sterotypes are there for a reason...

2 yes, I even called freethinker one bacause he beleived in time-dilation without having personally experienced it.

3 Sometimes, if that's the person&religion in question

4a I can't quote passages and verses, but I know the stories; usually a few diffent interpritations of them too.

4b if the only basis a 'true story'(oxymoron) then yes.

A religious nut, in my view, is someone who can't seem to see the other point of view, simply because the other view might be at odds with their personal belief. Regardless of the convictions of the other person presenting that view.

They are intolerant, and don't respect other conflicting beliefs. They also don't seem to be able to contribute anything to an objective debate. They are blinded by their subjective insights.

A few people falling slap-bang into this category are, amongs others, David Koresh, Osama Bin Laden, etc.

Religious nuts come from all possible religions. They are not exclusively Christian.

No.

There are certain religious groups and it's people that I steer clear of.

Being zealous is one thing, being an fanatic or hypocrite/charlatan is another.

No.

4) Have you yourself studied the religion, its ideas, its texts, the different denominations or sects and their beliefs,

Extensively.

or are you just calling them nuts out of a disdain or hatred towards anything that you don't believe can be proved (without having studied the basis for their beliefs)?

No.

WEBSTERS DICTIONARY (Paraphrase)

Religion: "A specific system of belief"; "A code of ethics"; "A philosophy of life".

Religious: "conscientiously exact"; "scrupulous"; "devout".

According to these definitions, religion is not limited to a belief in God, regardless of the common usage of the term.

Consequently, Evolution neatly fits the criterion as a religion.

...So reguarding those who wholeheartedly embrace evolution as the ultimate answer to our past, present and future in what can be justifiably termed "religiously":

Not all, just most.

Yes

No

4) Have you yourself studied the "religion", its ideas, its texts, the different denominations or sects and their beliefs, or are you just calling them nuts out of a disdain or hatred towards anything that you don't believe can be proved (without having studied the basis for their beliefs)?

Just enough to be dangerous. - And after all, there is no end to the ever increasing jumble of twisted hypothesis designed to effect the appearance of rational thinking in this matter.:evil:

Religious nuts are the ones who want to make their Bible, Koran, etc. the law.

In other words, they want to make laws according to their religion. While screwing up the constitution of your country.

That's what a religious nut is for me. I only respect the ones who keep themselves going rampant and crazy about their religion.

Religious nuts are the ones who want to make their Bible, Koran, etc. the law.

In other words, they want to make laws according to their religion. While screwing up the constitution of your country.

Yes, people with absolutely no respect for America or what it represents. People who want to force their ways on other people and disregard the freedoms that our founding fathers believed that we should have.

Yes, people with absolutely no respect for America or what it represents. People who want to force their ways on other people and disregard the freedoms that our founding fathers believed that we should have.

Even Christians have the right to vote. I'm not voting how other people think I should either.