175 replies to this topic

#171 Moronium

Moronium

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

In Minkowski Spacetime time is curved and with those curves come things like time dilation,

You have added all sorts of math equations to this post, which I didn't really see until now, Vic.

But they don't, and can't, prove the point you are trying to make anyway.

That's because your initial premise is wrong.  In Minkowski spacetime, space is NOT "curved."  It is flat.  Furthermore, "time" does not even exist in that realm.  Only "spacetime" does.

Edited by Moronium, 08 April 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#172 Moronium

Moronium

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

I don't think he was talking about moving clocks; just a group of clocks sitting together and running at different rates. Broken clocks.

Not really "broken," because they're all still running.  They're just not synchronized, that's all.  Clocks can be "out of sync" for any number of reasons, including, but not limited to, the fact that they are moving at different rates of speed.

But whether or not two (or more) clocks are synchronized is an entirely different question than whether, because they are not synchronized, "time" has changed.  My argument is that "time itself" has not changed at all, just because the clocks don't all display the the same amount of elapsed time during a time interval that is identical for all.

Either way, the same amount of time has passed.  Time is not different for each clock.  Only the clock readings (a function of their mechanical ticking rate) are different.

BTW, Popeye, I edited the post (to correct some typos) which you said did not make sense.  You're right, it didn't, as originally written.  Maybe you can make sense out of it now, though.

Edited by Moronium, 08 April 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#173 Moronium

Moronium

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2894 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

No physicist has said this. What physicists say about what signals a distant observer see's and what is really happening are two different things.

Awol will tell you that the Atlantic Ocean is 183 miles deep.  If questioned about the source of this "information," he will tell you that it's a universally known fact which can easily be confirmed (all while he refuses to confirm it).

After repeating this 197 times, he will finally reveal what his immense "support" is.  Something like: "Everybody knows there is an Atlantic Ocean."

Edited by Moronium, 08 April 2019 - 08:14 PM.

#174 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

In all fairness the Atlantic Ocean is relatively new.  It didn't start forming until the break-up of Pangaea around 163 million years ago.

https://youtu.be/UwWWuttntio

Edited by fahrquad, 08 April 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#175 ralfcis

ralfcis

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

With the photo of the black hole I hope the Penrose and Thorne nuts finally crawl into one. The hole is bigger than our solar system so the nuts think the event horizon is far enough from the center to make gravity very weak out at the horizon. But suddenly there's still an accretion disc out there that is caused by very strong gravity. So that very dumb movie "Interstellar" based on the physics stylings of Kip Thorne  was way off. How do Thorne and Penrose keep their jobs?

Edited by ralfcis, 12 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#176 OceanBreeze

OceanBreeze

Creating

• Moderators
  • 1073 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

I knew this BH was Big, but I didn't fully realize just how big until I looked at this size comparison.

That is actually scary.

m87_black_hole_size_comparison.png

I would like to see someone try to approach the event horizon of that monster and land on it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: General Relativity, Black Holes