Science Forums

Dissapearing Jobs

Deepwater6

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/30-jobs-that-nobody-does-anymore/ss-AAAadje?li=BBnb7Kz&fullscreen=true#image=31

Going through this list it brought to mind some other occupations that are on the endangered job list.

The other day I had to actually go into my bank for the first time in month's to make some unusual transactions. I rarely actually go into my bank anymore with the ease of online banking making things so much more convenient.

To my surprise my branch no longer has tellers to help patrons preform transactions. In all the windows where the teller would normally have stood, now have machines which look like glorified ATM's to me.

The machines are set up to allow the patron to do any transaction he/she would normally do with a human. Of course the bank still has one human nearby for technical issues that may arise standing close by for now, much the same way supermarkets have at the self check-out lanes in use today. Just one person who watches several self serving customers.

All that is required is any type of card that identifies you and carries your identification information with it. It doesn't have to be your bank card, just something associated with your name embedded in the magnetic strip on the back of the card. A credit card, a drivers license, etc. etc. will do.

Of course there are still humans available if you're interested in a loan or have some other form of banking that requires a human touch for now, but it looks like the job of "bank teller" is on it's way out.

I guess it will be another paradoxical point for our technological advancement that hurts humanity in the short term. 

Yes it did, guilty as charged OB. Do most schools still have spelling teachers or is that occupation been taken over by computers these days? Mrs. Brown, my elementary school spelling teacher (40 some years ago) would be most upset with me on this one. Although usually not one for excuses, in my defense there may have been a few too many empty Corona bottles in trash this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/feb/24/computers-replace-teachers

Yes it did, guilty as charged OB. Do most schools still have spelling teachers or is that occupation been taken over by computers these days? Mrs. Brown, my elementary school spelling teacher (40 some years ago) would be most upset with me on this one. Although usually not one for excuses, in my defense there may have been a few too many empty Corona bottles in trash this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/feb/24/computers-replace-teachers

I don't know about "spelling teachers", so-designated, but we went through a phase where teachers stopped teaching spelling just as they stopped teaching cursive, geography, art, music.  "No time", they said.  Plus, in the case of spelling, we were often told not to worry about how the student spelled.  Leave him free to be self-expressive. 

Was your spelling teacher's sole job just to teach spelling?  I'd have loved that.  :-)

I don't know about "spelling teachers", so-designated, but we went through a phase where teachers stopped teaching spelling just as they stopped teaching cursive, geography, art, music.  "No time", they said.  Plus, in the case of spelling, we were often told not to worry about how the student spelled.  Leave him free to be self-expressive. 

Was your spelling teacher's sole job just to teach spelling?  I'd have loved that.  :-)

We had a very large class if I remember correctly. It is just a guess, but I would estimate 120 students. Usually the classes were in the 20 pupil per class range. So the spelling/reading teacher would have 3 separate classes of students in the morning. The other 60 students would have 3 morning classes of math, they would then switch in the PM. With some other classes thrown in there such as, art, gym, and every kids favorite daily event lunch/recess. 

Back to the topic, "CBS This Morning" had a piece on AI coffee barista's. The story touted how fast the robotic coffee server could get orders together and how accurate the mixtures were. So it looks like a lot of coffee bar tender jobs may be numbered.

There is an old Star Trek NG episode in which Mark Twain somehow ends up on the ship. Getting a tour of the ship it was explained to him that money was no longer the driving force in people lives that far in the future. He was told that people were then free to focus on making their lives better in other ways

All that sounds great, but as it stands now the size of the leap from here to there seems a long way off. Never the less AI is slowly, but surely, muscling it's way into our work force. Will we be happier when humanity gets to a point when we can get machines to do everything for us?

Dissapearing Jobs

The p disappeared but an s took its place.

I am disappointed! (or should I say dissapointed) that you missed my double entendre. :cussing:

p lost his job because of IT but s was hired to write the software.

Oh, never mind.  :zip:

We had a very large class if I remember correctly. It is just a guess, but I would estimate 120 students. Usually the classes were in the 20 pupil per class range. So the spelling/reading teacher would have 3 separate classes of students in the morning. The other 60 students would have 3 morning classes of math, they would then switch in the PM. With some other classes thrown in there such as, art, gym, and every kids favorite daily event lunch/recess. 

Back to the topic, "CBS This Morning" had a piece on AI coffee barista's. The story touted how fast the robotic coffee server could get orders together and how accurate the mixtures were. So it looks like a lot of coffee bar tender jobs may be numbered.

There is an old Star Trek NG episode in which Mark Twain somehow ends up on the ship. Getting a tour of the ship it was explained to him that money was no longer the driving force in people lives that far in the future. He was told that people were then free to focus on making their lives better in other ways

All that sounds great, but as it stands now the size of the leap from here to there seems a long way off. Never the less AI is slowly, but surely, muscling it's way into our work force. Will we be happier when humanity gets to a point when we can get machines to do everything for us?

I wouldn't look forward to that.  People need something to do - something productive.  Sad to see the jobs going.  But, who knows.  Things usually work out.

Oh I couldn't agree more Haze, people need a purpose. Perhaps the most frightening thing about a completely controlled AI future is not the impact it will have on the global unemployment rate, but the impact it will have on the human condition.

Think about it, there are people who have fulltime jobs now that don't know what to do with themselves on a Sunday afternoon. What will the majority of people do when there is nothing to do? Volunteer part time? Do recreational drugs full time? Finding something to do in this hypothetical future may be...….?????

Oh I couldn't agree more Haze, people need a purpose. Perhaps the most frightening thing about a completely controlled AI future is not the impact it will have on the global unemployment rate, but the impact it will have on the human condition.

Think about it, there are people who have fulltime jobs now that don't know what to do with themselves on a Sunday afternoon. What will the majority of people do when there is nothing to do? Volunteer part time? Do recreational drugs full time? Finding something to do in this hypothetical future may be...….?????

Actually, from where I'm from, some of the jobs in this list still exist in some form. We still have people you can hire who will type stuff out for you. We also have elevator attendants in some shopping areas. I guess that's to avoid anyone playing around in the elevator. Haha. We also have people who bring around baked goods and food in the neighborhood.

• 6 months later...

A question: Is it that the banks have brought about those changes away from humans because of the need to compete in this modern world? Or is it because of greed that is propelled by the capitalist free market? 

or

Is profit to the shareholder more important than humans having jobs?

Good high paying jobs, as opposed to minimum wage jobs on part time?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It just shows how most corporations could care less about their fellow humans and are more worried about the bottom line. I understand we all want to make money but I think most corporations have just become grossly greedy. Also they don't think about who is actually going to buy anything when nobody has any money without any jobs. They are so greedy they can't even see they are going to hurt their selves in the long run.

A question: Is it that the banks have brought about those changes away from humans because of the need to compete in this modern world? Or is it because of greed that is propelled by the capitalist free market? 

or

Is profit to the shareholder more important than humans having jobs?

Good high paying jobs, as opposed to minimum wage jobs on part time?

I think greed and profit to shareholder is more important to humans having jobs. There is no heart left in many of these corporations. And you can even see such a high difference of pay between the CEO's and the people that actually do the job itself. Not to mention only a few corporations own mostly everything. Most of the mom and pop places either got bought out or went out of business.

Edited by Thoth101