Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

Wow! I'm, once again, impressed at the number of replies I have gotten to one of my threads (I think I started it four days ago, and it already has 37 replies!). Thanks for the input all. And it seems as though most of you believe what I do: Choose how you live for yourself and make the decisions you feel will suit you best along the way. I'm surprised that the immortality thing came up only sparingly though, I thought that would have affected most of your opinions on "purpose" in life. And do you believe omniscience comes with omnipotence, or that it ever would? (Just to let you all know - I don't)

Keep up the excellent replies, and I'll provide the excellent threads :Alien:.

That is a deeply philosophical response, and who's to say it's true or not. In fact this whole debate is pointless :Alien:, seeing it as how we will never (<-- I don't like to use that word but I feel it fits) know the true meaning or purpose of our lives.... At least until we die :confused:, but that's only if there's an afterlife.

Anyone here beliieve EVP (Electronice Voice Phenomenon) can provide some insight into this question? Anyone even believe EVP is genuine? I don't know about any of this, I just like to debate and watch debates; and since this one is slowing down I'm trying to provide fuel for the fire. Have at it.

I think the idea of "purpose" is a human imposition rather than something inherent in the world. We create our own purpose, which is as real as we believe it to be. If I say that my purpose is to eat as much cheese as possible, well, then that's my purpose. Of course, it's entirely subjective. In fact it is the varying purposes and valuations that humans assign to all objects (which have no such purposes and valuations in an objective sense) that leads us to strife and conflict.

THe following are of cardinal importance to a discussion concerning purposeness:

1. Is there order and organization in this world?

2. Are we unique creatures?

3. Is there direction that this universe is heading to?

4. The existence of a higher order

THe following are of cardinal importance to a discussion concerning purposeness:

1. Is there order and organization in this world?

Yes

TINNY: 2. Are we unique creatures?

Humans as a whole? Yes, and so is every other species on the planet.

Humans as individuals? Yes, and so is basically every other sexually reproducing organism on the planet.

TINNY: 3. Is there direction that this universe is heading to?

Yes, a uniform distribution of energy, at which point no more work can be done: the ultimate heat death of the Universe.

TINNY: 4. The existence of a higher order

Not one we can confirm empirically.

1. Is there order and organization in this world? Yes.

Humans as a whole? Yes, and so is every other species on the planet.

TINNY: 2. Are we unique creatures?

-Humans as individuals? Yes, and so is basically every other sexually reproducing organism on the planet.

ok. how unique are we? are you just saying uniqueness as having a different genetic code? or is it the characteristic? if we generalized the characteristics of animals, would all human characteristics satisfy that criteria as well?
TINNY: 3. Is there direction that this universe is heading to?

Yes, a uniform distribution of energy, at which point no more work can be done: the ultimate heat death of the Universe.

so that's one of them.
TINNY: 4. The existence of a higher order

Not one we can confirm empirically.

how about conjectures?

The idea of purpose in itsef requires that the object or individual with a purpose, was given that purpose by a higher authority. If you create your own purpose it is merely a personal desire which cannot be imposed on anyone else, except by force; thus nulifying that individual's personal desire.

Without a higher authority, there can be no true purpose beyond personal desire.