Science Forums

The solutions to Global Warming include. . .

Michaelangelica

Like they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

This "Ecological Burial" idea is terminally flawed, in that it takes an immense ammount of energy to liquefy enough nitrogen to achieve what they propose. Thereby merely transporting the pollution from the burial site to the power plant!

I like the idea, however. Just make sure the nitrogen was liquefied using eco-friendly power sources!

Then again, humans have been around for a few million years. They've been dieing for a few million years. Maybe human corpses can be thrown to the tigers, lion, sharks, vultures or any other meat eater in captivity? Those guys have been disposing of our corpses for at least 99% of the time of our tenure here on earth, so I guess they should get first dibs, not? Compared to them, burials and cremations are a bit of a novelty in terms of human existence.

Although maybe we can turn the gas down on the crematoriums some - maybe the lions have developed a taste for deep fried biped over the years? We can franchise it to zoos all over the world: Kentucky Fried Dead Guy!

We can franchise it to zoos all over the world: Kentucky Fried Dead Guy!

LOL

Bring back roman Circuses and toss the Christians in?

The Tibetans practice "Sky Burial" someone is employed to smash up the bits

"How was work today dear?"

"Smashing!"

People seem to have some panic solutions. This was in Science.

I don't understand why Terra preta does not get a better run.

Colder water would make it dissolve more CO2 causing other problems. (like dissolving coral reefs & islands)

What happened to the seeding the sea with iron idea?

We could of course stop throwing our garbage and pesticides into the sea. That might make for a better life for the phytoplankton.

Gaia scientist says pipe dream may fix climate

Ben Hirschler

Reuters

Thursday, 27 September 2007

pipes

Installing pipes in our oceans is the latest proposal to halt climate change. But not everyone's convinced this way of mixing surface and deeper water will help (Image: iStockphoto)

A series of giant pipes in the oceans to mix surface and deeper water could be an emergency fix for the earth's damaged climate system, says the scientist behind the Gaia hypothesis.

Professor James Lovelock, whose hypothesis says earth is a kind of superorganism composed of living and non-living elements, has fuelled controversy for three decades.

He thinks the stakes are so high that radical solutions must be tried to fix our climate, even if they ultimately fail.

In a letter to the journal Nature, he proposes vertical pipes 100 to 200 metres long and 10 metres wide be placed in the sea, so that wave motion pumps up water and fertilises algae on the surface.

This algal bloom would push down carbon dioxide levels and also produce dimethyl sulfide, helping to seed sunlight-reflecting clouds.

"If we can't heal the planet directly, we may be able to help the planet heal itself," write Lovelock, of the University of Oxford, and co-author Professor Chris Rapley, from London's Science Museum.

As the planet's atmosphere heats up, they explain, certain cyclical processes that normally regulate climate are beginning to amplify the process of warming rather than holding it in check.

When Arctic sea ice recedes further each year, for example, sunlight falls on heat-absorbing blue water rather than white snow and ice that reflects heat back into space, accelerating the warming process.

Lovelock and Rapley suggest that climate change may have already pushed Earth past the 'tipping point' beyond which this, and other disrupted cycles, become part of a self-reinforcing, 'positive feedback' loop.

The two scientists argue it is unlikely any of the well-intentioned technical or social schemes for limiting carbon would restore the planet's status quo.

News in Science - Gaia scientist says pipe dream may fix climate - 27/09/2007

LOL

People seem to have some panic solutions. This was in Science.

I don't understand why Terra preta does not get a better run.

Colder water would make it dissolve more CO2 causing other problems. (like dissolving coral reefs & islands)

What happened to the seeding the sea with iron idea?

We could of course stop throwing our garbage and pesticides into the sea. That might make for a better life for the phytoplankton.

I know when you post a link/story like this you are not endorsing this approach but I gotta say every time I read suggestions such as this to "solve the problem" I cant help but to retreat back from the discussion and think....

Where is a pandemic when you need one?

Or maybe..

I hope the next big comet hits the earth dead center.

Or how about...

Isnt the Yellowstone volcano long overdue? Is there any way to speed it up?

Do we really deserve to survive as a species? Is it really in the best interest of the Earth?

/ end thread hijack

I know when you post a link/story like this you are not endorsing this approach but I gotta say every time I read suggestions such as this to "solve the problem" I cant help but to retreat back from the discussion and think....

Or maybe..

Or how about...

Do we really deserve to survive as a species? Is it really in the best interest of the Earth?

/ end thread hijack

No its not in the best interest of earth, but as a species that used to have been hunted be creatures, we still have to will to survive. So unless somthing forces us to die (which wont be easy, we adapt easily) we will be here for a while.

Or maybe..

Or how about...

/ end thread hijack

Even at the height of our ignorance we are far less destructive to life on earth than any of the "solutions" you mention. Snap out of it lady!

Bill

I've decided to stop using my friend's shredder for my credit card solicitations. I figure that if I save them up and pile them all into one trash bag, then I'm reducing my risk significantly. Energy is saved and I feel just as safe economically. Of course, it's being wasted but I didn't ask for it in the first place. I opted out for CC solicitation and I've seen a HUGE reduction in junk mail. I highly recommend that everyone do this. It's an easy way to send a strong message to CC companies and help the environment in the process. :)

Even at the height of our ignorance we are far less destructive to life on earth than any of the "solutions" you mention. Snap out of it lady!

Bill

I just thought I would mention my suggestions are all 100% natural solutions (well, except for speeding up the long over-due yellowstone caldera).

After all, it is theorized that an impact resulted in the extinction of the dino's and resulted in our very existence to ponder these things. And every major extinction has resulted in a more complex life form evolving to dominate the earth.

Guess its just an evolution thing.

:)

I know when you post a link/story like this you are not endorsing this approach but I gotta say every time I read suggestions such as this to "solve the problem" I cant help but to retreat back from the discussion and think..

Quite right; in fact I think it is a silly idea. We have to be careful when we start mucking about with Gaia

Still another 6-8 AIDS viruses with the great apes so. . .

Have sex with a gorilla!:)

Or maybe..

No; it would burn all the chocolate factories and plantations. Then where would we be?:eek2::)

Or how about...

Know anyone really unlucky who likes camping?:)

Depends on which species you talk to.:)

Most Yanks seem to be looking forward to Armageddon anyway. :dust: :dust: :dust:

Then all the righteous ones will take their pre-ordained place in heaven :angel:

/ end thread hijack

Not really a hijack :Guns:

This was a very recent article from Tm Flannery, Ozz's Climate Change GURU

1. Immediate ratification of the Kyoto Protocol.

In light of the building climate disaster, I respectfully ask our Prime Minister to recognise the true urgency of the climate situation and announce ratification of the Kyoto Protocol, and to talk to our American allies about the reason for that decision.

Because President George Bush holds John Howard in such high regard, (:confused:-MA)our Prime Minister is in a position to do far greater good for Earth's climate than the Labor Party could ever contemplate.

2. Swift and dramatic reduction of Australia's emissions.

Australia must be set on a trajectory of emissions reduction that will see us play our part in keeping humanity safe from dangerous climate change.

To achieve climate stability, actions taken at this late date will be arduous and difficult.

In effect we will need to cease greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels altogether within the next 40 years.

This means rapid development of alternative energy sources, mandated phase-outs of coal-fired power plants and mandated switching to biofuels. None of this will be achieved without a cost of carbon pollution less than $70 per tonne.

But this will not be sufficient. In addition, stretch mandated renewable energy targets will be required, as will greatly enhanced funds to emerging renewable energy technologies.

3. Restore the world's tropical rainforests.

Tropical rainforests play a uniquely important role in the Earth's climate system, yet half are already gone and the remainder under threat. Australia can play a leading role in restoring the world's tropical forests, but funding and planned action will have to be greatly enhanced.

As the eighth richest country, Australia should lead a global initiative aimed at sequestering 10 gigatonnes of carbon in regrowing tropical forests, per year, by 2030.

This could be done directly, at the village level using technologies such as Google Earth and EBay, if a computer were placed in each village school in the tropics.

4. Reform agriculture to store carbon.

New advances in biomass-based technologies indicate that the potential to generate electricity and biofuel, and to sequester carbon in soils, is enormous. Brown-coal-fired power plants should be immediately converted to biomass combustion.

Pyrolysis machines need to be subsidised and installed on all Australian farms, and the electricity and biofuel they generate become integrated into our energy systems.

Australia again could lead a global initiative here, with the aim of drawing down a further 10 gigatonnes of carbon, per year, by 2030.

Were all of these initiatives successful, amazing things could be achieved.

By 2030 Australia's emissions could stand at just 40 per cent of those of 1990, and globally we could be drawing down 20 gigatonnes of carbon pollution per year from our atmosphere.

That's 10 per cent of the total burden of human-made carbon dioxide pollution in the atmosphere.

Consequently, dangerous climate change could become a receding spectre. But only if we act fast.

How we can save ourselves - Opinion - theage.com.au

My emphasis & smilie.

Last week the N.S.W Government announced the opening of yet another coal mine in the Hunter Valley and infrastructure developments at Newcastle Port;- The world's biggest coal port. There is a huge seam of coal than starts around Newcastle, goes under Sydney and comes out at Wolongong

That's a seam about 200+ miles long and 100+ miles wide (it goes out to sea too).

Another Korean long-wall mine is also planned for the Central Coast of N.S.W. (50 miles north of Sydney - a big commuter area.)

(Locals are concerned that it will affect groundwater and even the flow of rivers.) CC dams are at c 20% capacity and water is scarce.

It seems Tim is pushing s**t uphill as we say in Oz.

Still another 6-8 AIDS viruses with the great apes so. . .

Have sex with a gorilla!:)

Nah, as a bird watcher I am kinda rooting for an avian flu. Besides.. I like gorillas and wouldnt want to see them infected with something people carry (aint that about how it would work?).

No; it would burn all the chocolate factories and plantations. Then where would we be?:eek::)

And what are we gonna do when China starts demanding equal access to chocolate too? I kinda miss the good old days when there wasnt all this global competition for the good stuff.

Know anyone really unlucky who likes camping?:)

Yeah, that guy from california who like to camp with the grizzly bears. But hes already dead.

Most Yanks seem to be looking forward to Armageddon anyway. :D :doh: ;)

Then all the righteous ones will take their pre-ordained place in heaven :doh:

Promises... promises.... :)

Last week the N.S.W Government announced the opening of yet another coal mine in the Hunter Valley and infrastructure developments at Newcastle Port;- The world's biggest coal port. There is a huge seam of coal than starts around Newcastle, goes under Sydney and comes out at Wolongong

That's a seam about 200+ miles long and 100+ miles wide (it goes out to sea too).

Another Korean long-wall mine is also planned for the Central Coast of N.S.W. (50 miles north of Sydney - a big commuter area.)

(Locals are concerned that it will affect groundwater and even the flow of rivers.) CC dams are at c 20% capacity and water is scarce.

It seems Tim is pushing s**t uphill as we say in Oz.

Same thing up in Canada near Glacier Park:

U.S., Canada to discuss border mine - Environment - MSNBC.com

• 2 weeks later...

GPS, efficiency tools can save $6b in energy: study

By Sabra Lane

Posted 3 hours 34 minutes ago

Cars on Northbourne Avenue in Canberra.

The study has found fuel consumption could be drastically cut if GPS devices were installed in all cars and trucks (File photo). (ABC News: Penny McLintock)

* Audio: GPS devices could save consumers millions: report (AM)

The global positioning systems that are becoming more common in cars certainly help some drivers get more quickly from point A to point B, but they may also be reducing greenhouse emissions.

/ / /

, , ,

The new report by consultancy group Climate Risk calculates the savings in energy and money that can be made now if Australian consumers and businesses change the way they go about their lives.

Telstra commissioned the study and it was peer-reviewed by two independent experts before it was published.

Climate Risk director of science and systems Karl Mallon says the combined measures would cut carbon dioxide emissions by 27 million tonnes per year.

"We can see quite significant reductions in greenhouse gases, and at the same time, see quite significant reductions in expenditure on energy and fuels, with very little disruption to people's ordinary lives," he said.

To put that in perspective, that is the equivalent of more than all of the emissions from lighting in Australia - all lighting in houses and commercial buildings. It is also equivalent to about two thirds of all of the cars on the roads.

GPS, efficiency tools can save $6b in energy: study - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• 1 month later...

Baking Soda?!

Can baking soda curb global warming? | CNET News.com

Can baking soda curb global warming?

A start-up in Texas says it can turn the carbon dioxide emitted by power plants into baking soda.

Photos: Fumes turned baking soda

By Michael Kanellos

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Published: November 27, 2007, 4:00 AM PST

Tell us what you think about this storyTalkBackE-mail this story to a friendE-mailView this story formatted for printingPrint Add to your del.icio.usdel.icio.us Digg this storyDigg this

Some scientists have proposed compressing carbon dioxide and sticking it in underground caves as a way to cut down on greenhouse gases. Joe David Jones wants to make baking soda out of it.

Jones, the founder and CEO of Skyonic, has come up with an industrial process called SkyMine that captures 90 percent of the carbon dioxide coming out of smoke stacks and mixes it with sodium hydroxide to make sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda. The energy required for the reaction to turn the chemicals into baking soda comes from the waste heat from the factory.

"It is cleaner than food-grade (baking soda)," he said.

Awesome! Baking soda is great stuff to have around.

When I visited a coal plant, I got to see the whole process of them crushing and slurrying limestone and then misting it into the smokestacks. It would crystallize as gypsum and was harvested, crushed, and sold for dry wall construction. This was in 2002 in Washington State.

I don't know how widespread this practice is, but I would love to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Number 1. Reduce population- we may have already exceeded the number of people the world can support.

:P Sounds like a good tag line for a bumper sticker. :hihi: Of course, it's a logical fallacy you know.

Anybody putting up holiday lights, driving to shop, or driving to visit is contributing to global warming to varying degrees. Either it's a serious problem, or it's not. Waste not, want not. :rotfl: