Science Forums

The solutions to Global Warming include. . .

Michaelangelica

Got me in one do you have a secret camera on my computer?

LOL:):evil:

I think, as a very low status person, I am sick of batting my head against a brick wall of ignorance and insouciance.

No camera; just been paying attention the last few years. :)

Low status? Like a helpless little mouse? If Æsop is any judge, no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. :) I grant ignorance appears baked-brickish, but by the same token then insouciance is only mud-brickish. Go Zen on the wall and go around it. Follow the Yellow Brick Tao. :phones:

Nice thoghts thaks, I'm alittle down today

Perhaps we could stop this before tourism?

n a recent press release, a Hawaiian peace group, Malu Aina ("Land of Peace")

Malu Aina - organic farming, peace and justice community issued a public statement on the bombings of a military training area on the Big Island of Hawaii. The monthly exercises involve United States Air Force B-2 stealth aircraft dropping bombs on the Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA).

The B-2 "Spirit" bombers are equipped with "low-observable stealth technology" deployed to Hawaii from as far away as Andersen Air Force Base in Guam. These military exercises called "Koa Lighting," occasionally conducted in conjunction with the US Navy and Marines, often exceed 18 hours of continuous flight for the 6,880-nautical mile training missions.

Boeing (The Boeing Company), the company that built the weapons delivery system for the stealth bombers, explains on its website that B-2s possess nuclear weapons firing capability and have been used in nonstop missions to Afghanistan from Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri.

According to a recent Associated Press article, B-2 Stealth Bombers Hit US Targets (1), the aircraft fly 18,000 feet above the mountains over the main island of Hawaii. In September, the B-2s began monthly 2,000-pound bomb-dropping exercises on the Pohakuloa military range.

Bomb Drops on Big Island a Public Health Concern for Hawaiians.

. . .

The admission of Depleted Uranium (DU) in weapons training on the Hawaiian Islands came after years of the military denying its use and presence on the islands.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was watching evening news and they gave a report on the meth-freak-metal-thieves now stealing the plaques off graves. :doh: Anyway, it prompted this fun & practical idea for solving global warming by sequestering carbon.... You're gonna love this.

We start pyrolizing the dead! :( That's right; turn the bodies into charcoal, then bury with no box, and plant switchgrass on top. Resources saved on the box, carbon sequestered, renewable fuel terra preta'ed, karma satisfied. :goodbad:

Better yet, if the body form stays together, we can have ourselves put in poses before carbonization, and mounted or otherwise utilized afterward. Well cared for, a body should last thousands of years.

We don't stop with just the recent dead either; we start digging up all bodies & carbonizing them, redeeming their sins of having dared to live in the first place by keeping them from sneaking back into the cycle. Honor thy father & they mother; have them carbonized today. :D :jab: :fire:

So I was watching evening news and they gave a report on the meth-freak-metal-thieves now stealing the plaques off graves. :doh: Anyway, it prompted this fun & practical idea for solving global warming by sequestering carbon.... You're gonna love this.

We start pyrolizing the dead! :( That's right; turn the bodies into charcoal, then bury with no box, and plant switchgrass on top. Resources saved on the box, carbon sequestered, renewable fuel terra preta'ed, karma satisfied. :goodbad:

Better yet, if the body form stays together, we can have ourselves put in poses before carbonization, and mounted or otherwise utilized afterward. Well cared for, a body should last thousands of years.

We don't stop with just the recent dead either; we start digging up all bodies & carbonizing them, redeeming their sins of having dared to live in the first place by keeping them from sneaking back into the cycle. Honor thy father & they mother; have them carbonized today. :D :jab: :jab:

:D

I've got a big smile on my face right now...love the switchgrass reference. :)

I'm all for it! Well...except for the post-humous factor. :fire:

It boggles my mind that I can't be buried in the soil with just my flesh (what's left of it) and bones. But what better way than to stick me on the barbi! :doh:

It's really brilliant in a certain sense. Why cremate, when you can become fuel for the pyrolosis?

Instead of spreading ashes in the sea, we could spread char in the soil.

You are what you eat you know. ;)

What would happen if we reduced world population by 20%?

I sense that there'd be a war crimes tribunal involved.

What will happen if the world population increases by 50%?

All we need to do is wait about 30 or 40 years to find out.

World population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the single most important way we could attack the squandering of earth's resources?

Efficiency and Design en masse.

Wonderful Turtle; The fullest vision of cradle to cradle thinking. No carbon mummies for mourners though, dust to dust, or should I say, char to earth, just give them the water along with the human bio-oil and carbon credits.

Let's see; At a world saving price of $200/Ton C (including GHG equivalent benefits) that's what maybe 60 cents off my funeral cost :(

Wonderful Turtle; The fullest vision of cradle to cradle thinking. No carbon mummies for mourners though, dust to dust, or should I say, char to earth, just give them the water along with the human bio-oil and carbon credits.

Let's see; At a world saving price of $200/Ton C (including GHG equivalent benefits) that's what maybe 60 cents off my funeral cost :)

Darn! I missed the gas & water collection part! :doh: I think the best method for a body is probably that exothermic hydrothermal method of carbonization we discussed over here: >> http://hypography.com/forums/terra-preta/12201-hydrothermal-carbonization-htc.html?highlight=charcoal

It sounds like it would preserve the body form, as I recall reading in there that pine-cones carbonized by this method emerged structurally intact. We can kill 2 birds with one stone and get practicality, decoration, and charcoal sequestration in the soil, if we use the charcoaled limbs as row-marker stakes. How humerus is that? :painting: :lol:

Let's not stop here, lets cook up the dead pets too, and those cows that Boerseun keeps seeing. :cat: :dog: :bat::eek::xmas_sheep::rip::alien_dance: :kangaroo: :teddybear: :turtle::turkeytalk::kettle:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Peridotite

Can any geologist-rock-type-person translate this please?

In situ carbonation of peridotite for CO2 storage

1. Peter B. Kelemen1 and

2. Jürg Matter

Author Affiliations

1. Lamont–Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, Palisades, NY 10964

Edited by David Walker, Lamont–Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, Palisades, NY, and approved September 22, 2008 (received for review June 17, 2008)

Abstract

The rate of natural carbonation of tectonically exposed mantle peridotite during weathering and low-temperature alteration can be enhanced to develop a significant sink for atmospheric CO2.

Natural carbonation of peridotite in the Samail ophiolite, an uplifted slice of oceanic crust and upper mantle in the Sultanate of Oman, is surprisingly rapid.

Carbonate veins in mantle peridotite in Oman have an average 14C age of ≈26,000 years, and are not 30–95 million years old as previously believed.

These data and reconnaissance mapping show that ≈104 to 105 tons per year of atmospheric CO2 are converted to solid carbonate minerals via peridotite weathering in Oman.

Peridotite carbonation can be accelerated via drilling, hydraulic fracture, input of purified CO2 at elevated pressure, and, in particular, increased temperature at depth. After an initial heating step, CO2 pumped at 25 or 30 °C can be heated by exothermic carbonation reactions that sustain high temperature and rapid reaction rates at depth with little expenditure of energy.

In situ carbonation of peridotite could consume >1 billion tons of CO2 per year in Oman alone, affording a low-cost, safe, and permanent method to capture and store atmospheric CO2.

In situ carbonation of peridotite for CO2 storage ? PNAS

...without learning all about geology (mafic = high Mg, Fe; low Si.... MAgnesium +FerrIC), this may help.... :phones:

Serpentinite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...see reaction 2B....

~ more later?

p.s.

...although 2A is interesting... converting CO2 into methane....

uh oh.... "Reaction 2b is favored in highly magnesian compositions and low partial pressure of carbon dioxide. (Something is missing from Reaction 2b because Fe is oxidized and nothing gets reduced.)" -wiki

definetly need more later.... :D

Peridotite

Can any geologist-rock-type-person translate this please?

In situ carbonation of peridotite for CO2 storage ? PNAS

It's explained very well in this news report:

Technology Review: Carbon-Capturing Rock

Basically, when tectonic plates bump into each other they crinkle and wrinkle and separate and otherwise open up the crust of the earth. New rock layers that were underground get exposed to the air. That rock (Peridotite) is pretty good at carbon sequestration as it converts carbon dioxide in the air into calcium and magnesium carbonate.

They think the can speed up the sequestration process by heating up the rock, fracturing it, and drilling it. They could then pump carbon dioxide from power plants directly into the rock.

It sounds interesting. Good find Michaelangelica.

~modest

Thanks guys & gals

There is a lot of this 'peridotitety' type stuff in Ozz too.

I nearly did geology

Wish I did. (My kids loved rocks, especially the shiny expensive ones.) Being an Ozzie I would be a multi-millionaire by now.

Great links thanks

I will keep my antennae out for it in future.

Chemical reactions that pull carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and store it in the form of solid rock inside geological formations could offset billions of tons of carbon-dioxide emissions each year, according to researchers at Columbia University, in New York. The scientists say that research done on large rock formations in Oman suggests new ways to sequester carbon-dioxide emissions to help lessen global warming.

The researchers have shown that rock formations called peridotite, which are found in Oman and several other places worldwide, including California and New Guinea, produce calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate rock when they come into contact with carbon dioxide. The scientists found that such formations in Oman naturally sequester hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon dioxide a year.

The solutions include sucking it up & doing with less. Enough already of the Christmas lights and wrapping paper and McDonalds toys, yada, yada, yada. If history is any indication, only the dead will head this advice. :doh:

Reducing Consumption Key To A Sustainable Future

The Limits to Growth' modelled scenarios for the future global economy and environment and recommended far reaching changes to the way we live to avoid disaster.

In a paper published in the current edition of the international journal; Global Environmental Change, CSIRO physicist Dr Graham Turner compares forecasts from the book with global data from the past 30 years.

"The real-world data basically supports The Limits to Growth model," he says. "It shows that for the first 30 years of the model, the world has been tracking along the unsustainable trajectory of the book's business-as-usual scenario."

"The original modelling predicts that if we continue down that track and do not substantially reduce our consumption and increase technological progress, the global economy will collapse by the middle of this century.

"The contemporary issues of peak oil, climate change, and food and water security, resonate strongly with the overshoot and collapse displayed in the business-as-usual scenario of The Limits to Growth." ...

The solutions include sucking it up & doing with less. Enough already of the Christmas lights and wrapping paper and McDonalds toys, yada, yada, yada. If history is any indication, only the dead will head this advice. :Glasses:

Reducing Consumption Key To A Sustainable Future

Yep, about right.

Christmas Lights get bigger and bigger here every year. Many streets co-operate and raise thousands for medical and kid's charities. Some are so huge that they have rows of Ice craem vans and fast food vans to cater for the crowds.!

II heard one Christmas Lights kill-joy (Schofield) being berated on the radio last year. One guy rang in and said his Christmas lights would not count for two fireworks at the various New Year and other Fireworks displays (Which Scofield used to organise).

Maybe we can make an exception for lights? Like Christmas Trees are not really plastic (The actual clause excepting them has not been written yet and is still under discussion at "We need a trillion more indoor plants" thread ) :doh: Sorry couldn't resist that dumb joke.

While we are at it what about Petrol Heads- car and bike racing of all kinds.

I just read Fiat has a production car (for a few years now-sold mainly in Brazil) that can accept gas (LPG), alcohol, alcohol/petrol mixes or just petrol-whatever is cheaper on the day.

Also that demand for hybid cars is soaring.

I had to wonder if Ford, GM and Chrysler are going broke because they have miss-read the market demand for a more environmentally sensitive car.

The hand out ($6 BIL) our (Oz) government is giving GM comes with a proviso that they will research and develop environmentally more sensitive & economical cars.

Thanks for the links.

There are still many (lots?) that don't see Global Warming as a problem.

That is a problem as it prevents concerted community/national action. Especially some listed on your link

Solutions | We Can Solve It

We only need one major "tipping point" to happen and we are R.S.

Queensland is just cleaning up after a $100 million+ $ storm. Many houses are unliveable.

Insurance premiums go up and up every year- almost all the proof for GW you need. Actuaries aren't dumb.

PS

A final thought on reducing consumption to sustainable levels.

21% of world's resources used by China Pop= c. 1,330,044,605

21% of world's resources used by USA. Pop= c. 305,690,000

Pollution almost the same.

A lot of the stuff produced in china is probably for the US market anyway.

The solutions include sucking it up & doing with less. Enough already of the Christmas lights and wrapping paper and McDonalds toys, yada, yada, yada. If history is any indication, only the dead will heed this advice. :Glasses:

Yep, about right.

Christmas Lights get bigger and bigger here every year. Many streets co-operate and raise thousands for medical and kid's charities. Some are so huge that they have rows of Ice craem vans and fast food vans to cater for the crowds.!

II heard one Christmas Lights kill-joy (Schofield) being berated on the radio last year. One guy rang in and said his Christmas lights would not count for two fireworks at the various New Year and other Fireworks displays (Which Scofield used to organise).

Maybe we can make an exception for lights?

:doh: :naughty: Sorry; no exceptions. Whether home lights, city displays, or corporate, Christmas lights are every bit the kind of excess that we have to put the kabosh on if we mean to get serious about curbing pollution from our primary source coal-fired generating plants.

The locals over the river in Portland Oregon are all atwitter about their thousands of new LED lights for their displays, touting them as 'saving energy'. Good grief!!! They bought them from factories in China, the wires are coated with lead, and any frivoloius waste is never a savings. Who's paying for this? The taxpayers. Meantime, the city is putting off road repairs & light-rail security guards for lack of money. :doh:

No more Christmas lights people!!!! Period!! Suck it up & just say NO. :naughty: :):xmas_tree::(:xmas_tree: :hyper::xmas_tree::) :xmas_tree::xmas_tree::xmas_tree::xmas_tree: :xmas_tree::xmas_tree::xmas_tree: :xmas_tree::xmas_tree::xmas_tree: :xmas_tree::xmas_tree:

Well you will need to negotiate the Christmas Tree Clause at The Hypography International Anti-Plastic Plant Convention in the new year. :shrug:

You may need to get some support from Islamic and African nations. :evil:

What about city office lights? In Sydney they. are left on all night and by this photo, it seems Sydney is not alone.