Science Forums

The Future...

Boerseun

...and no, this is not a Leonard Cohen song.

But talking about the future, technologically speaking, what's in the pipeline?

My grandfather saw the first cars and airplanes. They were such profound innovations that now, barely a century after their invention, the world will completely and utterly grind to a halt without them.

My father saw similar innovations, amongst them colour television, microwave ovens, people landing on the moon, etc.

The only groundbreaking things to happen in my lifetime, so far, has been cellphones, and the advent of the Internet. Linking together a bunch of computers over phonelines to create this global spider's web of connections and information. But was that really so profound? I mean, both computers and telephones existed before the internet.

...and that's my whole point. The internet is 'physically' nothing new. The novelty lies in integrating existing technology in new ways, and I'm sure without the internet, plenty companies will go down and "Life as we know it" simply won't be possible.

But what lies in the future? Renewable energy sources to power cars won't be groundbreaking nor earth-shattering, because we've had autos for more than a century, and powering them is simply a technical matter. The concept of a "car" won't change. I don't see flying cars anytime soon, because instead of only using energy for propulsion, they'd need energy to keep aloft as well, making them more energy-inefficient than existing cars.

So how would "integration" revolutionize our world?

I think the "next big thing" will be biotechnological integration. Imagine, for a second, that they can perfect neuron-to-metal connections, and the brain's wiring can be mapped to the extent that its possible to implant electronic devices straight into your brain. There's enough space between your two brain hemispheres to house quite a few gigs worth of RAM, plus possibly a processor to make mental calculations a breeze. They can possibly be powered by directly tapping into your bloodstream. Taking the integration thing a little further, wireless connections like bluetooth would be perfectly possible, once the details of implanting these units are sorted out. With the result that two people can communicate without saying a word, or you can download movies to watch in your mind. You can lie in bed with your eyes closed, surfing the web at the same time. Remembering reams and reams of data will become a cinch, and technical training would take a few minutes of flash download instead of years and years at college.

With advances being made in prostethics, where physical connections between nerve endings and actual wire is being made, the technical side of this would probably be quite possible within a few years. The biggest hurdle would be mapping the brain so that the connections are made to the right nerves. But technically, this would be quite feasible within the next two to three decades, I guess.

But coming down to Earth for a while, and leaving these heady dreams for a while, what do you see as the next "big thing", and with "big", I mean something that'll revolutionize the world, and be indispensible within a very short time?

Things that did this in the last hundred or so years, which became indispensible very quickly, would be, amongst others, the following:

Automobiles,

the Radio,

Television,

Airplanes,

Electronics,

The telephone,

Cellphones,

Computers,

Handheld calculators (!)

Desktop publishing

(AND TOBASCO SAUCE!!!)

Any thoughts? Is there a specific need in the world that can only be addressed by some completely new technological marvel? Or are we bound to be integrating what we have for the next hundred or so years, without coming up with something fundamentally new?

Boerseun,my father some weeks ago said to me something like that "Back in my time I thought there was nothing more to invent,nowadays I see how I was wrong".It tells me that we never know when the next revolutionary invention may happen,or what it'll be.

Lots of inventions may be cogitated,but we don't even are sure if they will be trully possible to function.Some people say that,timetravelling,androids rights,floating and a drive itself cars(like in "I,robot"^^),cure of cancer or fix some organism function by using cell steem studies and other things, will be possible;... But the truth is that we never know.

Ps:It would be nice to have some device that turn water into wine:hihi:

Necessity is the mother of invention. It is greed propels the invention into the market place. The market place, in turn, lead to economies of scale and lower prices so inventions become useful on a wide scale. For example, the development of the atomic bombs and the space race led to the need for many of the inventions of today, such as computers. Capitialists saw the profits that could be made (Bill Gates), with free market forces driving down the price and making the invention better and cheaper.

What we need is necessity. Global warming is trying to create that urgency, which create the necessity to invent alternative energy, more effeciency, etc. Stem cell research is not necessity, but starts at the greed level and may not lead to innovation at the fastest rate. The govenment is horrible at free market stuff. Beaurocracy is optimized for war and gets lazy and fat during peacetime. Stem cell reseach is better left for the free market. What we is an alien invasion so the beaurocracy can kick into high gear and invent the impossible.

...and no, this is not a Leonard Cohen song.

But talking about the future, technologically speaking, what's in the pipeline?

What should be in the pipeline are technologies to deal with our population and overcoming limited resources. If these problems are not dealt with, the future will be increasingly more difficult.

Energy supplies...............Bio fuels, wind, solar, and exploration

Food supplies..................Intelligent farming of the seas

Housing..........................Govenment funding and private sector cooperation

Better control of enviornmental hazards...............Individual citizens taking greater interest!

Good science can give us solutions to all these problems but unless government acts on them, things will not improve.

Pessimistically speaking...............................Infy

I want to be a centaur with electronically assisted telepathy and telekinesis who can teleport. B)

:( I was thinking I would ask for gills and grossly enormous eyes so I could explore the deep oceans. But hey, if ya got an extra set of those electra-whaza-macallits I can keep in touch with you at your stable. :hihi:

Now in the case that this genetic designing needn't only occur before birth, but at any stage of life, then perhaps one day a googly-eyed fishuman, the next a strapping hoofy galloping around. Yeh...that's the ticket. :magic:

Materials Science.

Particularly CNTs. Everything that we've ever though "Wouldn't it be cool if we could...., but we can't make it that (small, light, tough, cheap)" becomes a reality.

Seriously, as big as metal and plastic. Only cheaper, better, and easier.

On the other hand if people saw "revolutionary" technologies coming they wouldn't be revolutionary would they?

TFS

I think we're in for a long period of integrating current technology to the point where a lot of current every-day items will disappear.

For instance, a wristwatch that also includes a GSM circuit (bye-bye cellphone), a GPRS circuit, heart monitors (exercise watches already has these) and a kahoona-sized memory capacity with bluetooth (there goes your flashdisk out the window) and headphones (bye-bye mp3 player). All in one device. So, you end up with one "must-have" gadget (the watch), but you eliminate quite a lot of other bulky items that you normally carry around. Whilst not really a fundamental change, I think pretty soon everybody will have one and take it for granted. I mean, who'd want to carry all that other stuff around, when you can simply strap this nifty tool to your wrist?

But this integration idea can be taken further, too. You'll end up with kettle/toaster combos, as a (possibly ridiculous) example. Everything will be online and be controlled from your nifty funky ubercool wristwatch, which also has a laser-projected keyboard!

Haha...

Yep - I think that's gonna be the future for the next two decades or so.

...but then again, that's only me.

In my opinion, real breakthroughs in science will be result of crisis we face today.

i have a few in my mind, they are:

1. The water crisis
  2. The transportation/energy crisis
  3. The bandwidth crisis

While many of us are facing or are likely to face the first two in the near future, the third one may take a bit more time to become apparent.

What I am hinting at, that with the increasing numbers, of people and vehicles, soon it is going to be really difficult to move from one place to another. The immediate solution may be air borne vehicles, but they will consume much more energy; leading to energy crisis. This may lead to tele coomuting more popular, whence people will interact with one another with much more powerful telecom connexions, that will require bandwidth much more than we can imagine. :naughty:

In my opinion, real breakthroughs in science will be result of crisis we face today.

i have a few in my mind, they are:

1. The water crisis
  2. The transportation/energy crisis
  3. The bandwidth crisis

While many of us are facing or are likely to face the first two in the near future, the third one may take a bit more time to become apparent.

What I am hinting at, that with the increasing numbers, of people and vehicles, soon it is going to be really difficult to move from one place to another. The immediate solution may be air borne vehicles, but they will consume much more energy; leading to energy crisis. This may lead to tele coomuting more popular, whence people will interact with one another with much more powerful telecom connexions, that will require bandwidth much more than we can imagine. :hihi:

Not a bad list Charlie! :painting: I observe that all are predicated on allowing the population to continue growing. If we are to enjoy our future innovations (gills, bulbous eyes, hoofs, and all), we must control the population. I think this is the paramount 'need' for the future, and the least likely scenario to actually happen by purposeful human intervention. :Whistle:

If we are to enjoy our future innovations (gills, bulbous eyes, hoofs, and all), we must control the population. I think this is the paramount 'need' for the future, and the least likely scenario to actually happen by purposeful human intervention. :hihi:

Indeed. It doesn't *behoove* (:Whistle:) people to choose to eliminate life, so it will likely happen naturally. Whether it be disease, war, starvation, dehydration, whatever... It will need to be taken care of in another context, because artificially selecting humans won't be something which everyone rushes to do or agree upon.

"Sorry Mrs. Smith, we're going to abort your baby because you conceived on a Tuesday, and your street address ends in an even number. However, you can water you lawn every other Wednesday!"

Straight from the horse's mouth. :painting:

What necessity offers is the pressing need for tangible results that work to lower the threat or the necessity. This often pushes one to the limits of spped and ingenuity, since doing nothing can be disasterous. Take away the threat than the incentive to invent is reduce to desire or money. This also leads to invention but often requires supply side marketing to make people want it, making it harder to justify spin-off unless the marketeers get a good game going.

For example, if the air got so poluted that people began to fall like flies, their would be a grave neccesity to make gas masks in the short term, until long term solutions appeared. One does not have to convince people of the merit of this necessity invention, it is self evidence, with demand side driving the necessity to invent.

If the air is clean and someone decide to invent the same mask to make people prepared for the day the air was so bad people fell like flies, they would have to market doom and gloom to push this invention. The result is a need for supply side marketing to con people to buy the something that they really don't even need. This smaller demand may not require spin-offs, unless the marketeers are really good. With necessity, every incremental improvement will find a thankful person.

Necessity is demand side invention, while desire and money is supply side. With supply side invention, even a good invention one has to market their invention. This is the same place where pet rocks and bling inventions also enter the arena. The result is that good inventions, often get shelfed because it is easier to sell garbage to junk collectors. If there is a neccessity, the garbage is pushed aside, and the good inventions come quickly to the forefront.

Not a bad list Charlie! :naughty: I observe that all are predicated on allowing the population to continue growing. If we are to enjoy our future innovations (gills, bulbous eyes, hoofs, and all), we must control the population. I think this is the paramount 'need' for the future, and the least likely scenario to actually happen by purposeful human intervention. :naughty:

Its not population alone that is of concern, its also the rising aspirations of the populations. There was a time when a vast majority lived happily very prudently. Not so, today and tomorrow! Thanks to the mass media many more people are tempted towards consumer goods. Goods that require more water (to clean), more energy (to run) and ofcourse bandwidth.

Controlling populations therefore will not help in averting the crisis. What would be required is an enlightenment, that consuming more does not neccessarily lead to more happiness in life :shrug: