Science Forums

Madam Speaker, The President of the United States

InfiniteNow

The right of custom brings us together at a defining hour, when decisions are hard, and courage is needed.
Our citizens don't much care which side of the aisle we sit on, as long we are willing to cross that aisle when there's work to be done.
Our country can be more competetive by strengthening math and science skills.
To protect good doctors from junk lawsuits, we need to pass medical liability reform.
This war is more than a clash of arms, it is a decisive ideological struggle, and the security of our nation is in the balance.
For America this is a nightmare scenario. For the enemy, this is the objective...Ladies and gentleman, nothing is more important in this moment in our history than to succeed in the Middle East, to succeed in Iraq, and to spare the American people from this danger.
Tonight I ask the Congress to authorize an increase in the size of our military core by 92,000 troops in the next five years.
This is where matters stand tonight, in the here and now.

The President was noticably uncomfortable, scanning the crowd hoping for friendly faces among the images of strangers. The above quotes are only a small fraction of the speech he delivered. There are no absolutely correct stances in a job like his, and he must do his best to find the maximal benefit as he sees it.

So, what are your thoughts and reactions? Discuss.

It's pronounced nucular. :hihi:

You could almost feel the tension tugging between Pelosi and Cheney as they sat behind our President.

You could also practically hear the words coming from George W.'s earpiece.

Another load of BS.

Cute how they placed Dikembe Mutumbo next to the little asian lady when they cut towards the audience.

61 or 62 applauses for a 50 minute speech.

Bush on Iraq plan: 'Give it a chance' - 2007 State of the Union - MSNBC.com

extremely unimpressed by our Executive branch,

Rac

I didn't listen to all of it, but while he still seems to think that "bipartisanship" means "getting the other guys to agree with me" I was actually impressed by what he had to say. He sure had Nancy jumping up to applaud a lot, which would not have happened just 4 months ago: it actually seemed like she supported the president more than Cheney did! The only thing she really seemed to sit out that I saw were the "stay the course" lines.

Admittedly liberal though Think Progress has a long list of all the things he promoted that are either already dead or dying from underfunding, or otherwise don't quite match reality:

Take it all with a grain of salt: SOTUs rarely match reality, but on the other hand, we're only emerging now from 4 years of total control from a set of politicians who loved to sneer about how horrible "reality" is.

Awaiting actions to go along with the words,

Buffy

My sense was that she jumped up when he mentioned a program that she was championing.
Of course she was! What do you expect? I'm actually pleased that he at least was saying the right words!
Be bi-partisan... agree with me. :hihi:
I always agree with you, dear! Well, except when I don't! :hihi:

Bi-Practical,

Buffy

I think he missed an opportunity to bring up ANWAR if he really want to cut foreign oil dependence....
Yep. And that big fat pile of oil sitting right off all those Republican districts on the Florida Coast! :hihi:

But seriously, did he mention the fuel economy standards changes? That was leaked last week: such decimation of sacred cows! (Sorry B!)

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Compasionate Conservatism died in such a horrible death on January 20, 2000, I'd think he'd turned over a new leaf. :hihi:

Worth *trying* to believe there's something to it all...

Trick me twice, Won't get fooled again, :hihi:

Buffy

I think I reveal no secret when I tell you that we are dealing with a stubborn adversary who is committed to the use of force and terror to settle political questions.

I wish I could report to you that the conflict is almost over. This I cannot do. We face more cost, more loss, and more agony. For the end is not yet. I cannot promise you that it will come this year--or come next year. Our adversary still believes, I think, tonight, that he can go on fighting longer than we can, and longer than we and our allies will be prepared to stand up and resist....

So I must say to you that our pressure must be sustained--and will be sustained--until he realizes that the war he started is costing him more than he can ever gain.

I know of no strategy more likely to attain that end than the strategy of "accumulating slowly, but inexorably, every kind of material resource"--of "laboriously teaching troops the very elements of their trade." That, and patience--and I mean a great deal of patience.

- President Lyndon B. Johnson, 1967 State of the Union Address, speaking to the issue of Vietnam.

The term lame duck...

Glossary - US Department of State

The term lame duck refers to an elected official who has lost an election, or will soon be leaving office, during the period between the election and the date a successor will take over. Such an individual is in a weakened politically position due to the impending expiration of his or her term.

...seems to be gaining traction. Which, for me, is incredibly disheartening considering that the man still has 726 days (nearly 2 full years) left in office.

The news seems to have stopped coddling his administration as well:

BBC NEWS | Americas | Bush speech leaves press unmoved

But seriously, did he mention the fuel economy standards changes?

He did!

Other things he mentioned -

:bouquet: Tax Breaks for people making under $60,000 of up to $4500 to cover medical insurance premiums.

:bouquet: Reduction of Gasoline consumption by 20%

:bloom: Immigration reform.

Now, let's see if actually comes through.

TFS

The term lame duck...
...and another species in our political zoology....
The news seems to have stopped coddling his administration as well...
...is happening on both sides of the pond:

“Asked by Cherie Blair what Americans thought of her husband, McAuliffe responded that ‘most people think you’re a lap-dog for President Bush.’ Cherie Blair then elbowed her husband and said ‘See, Tony, I told you so.’”

Rosebud,

Buffy