Science Forums

Madam Speaker, The President of the United States

InfiniteNow

its always interested me, that those preaching additional something are the first to complain about the actual attempt to add...untill its understood government is a reaction to the voters demands and solution to nothing, the only possible actions have to be an increase. people by nature will always request more gimmies and at some point these become demands...

its always interested me, that those preaching additional something are the first to complain about the actual attempt to add...
You're right. A lot of the thoughts above by various people might be completely confusing out of the context, so just to clarify:
  1. The "preaching additional something" in the speech was interesting because much of it had been disclaimed as being relevant or good, mileage standards (Cheney has repeatedly dissed conservation as merely a "a sign of personal virtue"), or global warming (which the administration has actively tried to suppress) being just two examples.
  2. As for complaining about the "actual attempt to add," as you know the "Democrat Party" (a slur in itself by the way for the "Democratic Party") is for taxes. Republicans are agin' 'em. This was a Republican who's daddy was run out of office for raising taxes, talking about raising taxes.

Non-plussed,

Buffy

You're right. A lot of the thoughts above by various people might be completely confusing out of the context, so just to clarify:
  1. The "preaching additional something" in the speech was interesting because much of it had been disclaimed as being relevant or good, mileage standards (Cheney has repeatedly dissed conservation as merely a "a sign of personal virtue"), or global warming (which the administration has actively tried to suppress) being just two examples.
  2. As for complaining about the "actual attempt to add," as you know the "Democrat Party" (a slur in itself by the way for the "Democratic Party") is for taxes. Republicans are agin' 'em. This was a Republican who's daddy was run out of office for raising taxes, talking about raising taxes.

Non-plussed,

Buffy

any one can pay a price, get a very high mileage car or runs on something other than oil- NOW. Chaney is entitled to an opinion. no one has tried to suppress anything concerning conserving and much has been done to that purpose.

i have no problem with the Madam, feel she is attractive, some what bright and only slightly dis-ingenuous. Bush Sr. was/is a good person and paid the price for this very thing, though i might suggest there was more to his reason then the action...

i found the comments on this thread again expecting what should not have been expected, being something from nothing given to all. pointing out all which is said is politically motivated and of no value. Example; the Madam, made a big issue of "minimum wage" but neglected to mention her personal interest and excluded A.S....

I found the pundit talk afterwards more interesting than the actual address. Charlie Rose was pretty good last night.

Indeed it was a good discussion, and it's even available online:

Charlie Rose - Live Analysis of the State of the Union address - Google Video

Jackson33,

If I may request, please do try to limit your posts in this thread to reflect your own reactions to the speech itself, the points covered, and so forth. This being instead of posting your reactions to the reactions of those who have posted in this thread. Thanks so much.

:cheer:

Remember, Daddy's a member of the Trilateral Commission. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists hear the Black Helicopters hovering overhead already...

One World Hatfields and McCoys,

Buffy

Do you think a North American Union is not a plausible reality? After the success of the European Union? and especially the bottom line of their new currency?

Its been in the planning for years. No black helicopters...Only a gigantic Superhighway, full of RFID tag stations...

I would suggest people take that into very considerable consideration.

More to follow,

Rack

Do you think a North American Union is not a plausible reality? After the success of the European Union? and especially the bottom line of their new currency?

Its been in the planning for years. No black helicopters...Only a gigantic Superhighway, full of RFID tag stations...

I would suggest people take that into very considerable consideration.

More to follow,

Rack

I missed President Shrub saying the North American Union thingy, but I tried to get a rousing debate up on it here; died in committee. :( For what it's worth (in Ameros) here's the link.

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/6970-north-american-union-amero.html?highlight=Amero

What exactly did he say about it Rac et al? B)

I missed President Shrub saying the North American Union thingy, but I tried to get a rousing debate up on it here; died in committee. :( For what it's worth (in Ameros) here's the link.

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/6970-north-american-union-amero.html?highlight=Amero

What exactly did he say about it Rac et al? B)

Worker amnesty and visas for the undocumented. let them swarm in and build the infrastucture much like the Chinese did for the railroad? Hell, they're already here en masse.

The pieces are in place. from NAFTA onward.. But theres more politically at stake than meets the average eye. and more repurcussions than the average American can deal with...

The building of a Superhighway through the Midwest, from Mexico into Canada,. the distinct probability of the formation of a North American currency, the "Amero".

( I know you don't like the word "probable" , Turtle so how about "inevitible"? )

Worker amnesty and visas for the undocumented. let them swarm in and build the infrastucture much like the Chinese did for the railroad? Hell, they're already here en masse.

The pieces are in place. from NAFTA onward.. But theres more politically at stake than meets the average eye. and more repurcussions than the average American can deal with...

The building of a Superhighway through the Midwest, from Mexico into Canada,. the distinct probability of the formation of a North American currency, the "Amero".

( I know you don't like the word "probable" , Turtle so how about "inevitible"? )

Ahhh...well, I simply don't have confidence in Shrub from his intelligence on through all the other character measures. As to the American Union I certainly don't know if it's a good or bad idea, and in fact I think it is too far a complex problem for anyone to know with any high degree of probability.

As to amnesty and visa for undocumented, doing that means you have to document them so problem solved eh?

I have heard about the highway and think that's a sneaky deal and a screw job on American truckers, taxpayers, and consumers. Do you recall the project name?

B)

Do you think a North American Union is not a plausible reality? After the success of the European Union?
Hell, they're already here en masse.
I agree completely: Its not just plausable, its probable and good for all concerned, and as you say, its already here.

There are wingnuts on both ends of the spectrum with conspiracy theories and their AM talk radio, and if we let them stop us, well, "then the terrorists win." B)

...and especially the bottom line of their new currency?
The Canadian and US dollar have been stabily linked for decades and our economies are actually heavily integrated both for manufacturing and resources.

Mexico is a bit more problematic with wide swings really due to political instability and a chronic problem with corruption at every level of business and the legal and political infrastructure that really needs to be fixed before we have "full" economic union, but their oil resources have balanced this out.

They also have to get over hating gringos almost as much as folks north of the border have to get over disdain for "messicans."

I've pushed my daughter into taking Spanish in school, even though many of the "cool kids" are taking French: as I've told her, there's gonna be a lot more Mexicans and Central/Southwestern Americans to talk to than there are Quebecois...

BTW Racc, thanks for keeping the Noticias en Espanol thread going: Its one of my favorites around here!

Dios mio, la NAFTA (isn't it feminine?) es inevitable,

Buffy

I didn't mention terrorists. on this topic, altough infiltration along the border should be a major concern.
But with integration, the border you need to protect--Mexico and Guatamala/Belize--is a fraction of the size of the US/Mexico border, and much less hospitable. (I've also heard that the terrorists know about the wild pigs in the jungle and are scared spitless of the stories of those unclean Amazon Women so it offers very few points of entry! B) )

I of course find it facinating that paranoia about this sort of integration has no party boundaries. You can be a left-wing or right-wing isolationist, but if you are either kind, you're still "supporting the terrorists!" :(

I want my lettuce picked cheap,

Buffy

• 3 months later...
The term lame duck...

Glossary - US Department of State

...seems to be gaining traction. Which, for me, is incredibly disheartening considering that the man still has 726 days (nearly 2 full years) left in office.

Now *only* 607 days... only.

So, IYO, what progress has been made since this January presentation of state? What balls have been dropped? What remains?

• 1 month later...