Science Forums

Best science fiction movie this year?

Tormod

I need to come up with a brief review of a current science fiction movie which is part of a "last resort" recommendation interview on a science program on radio here in Norway.

However, I am having problems finding anything worthwhile! What's relatively recent (AND out on DVD) in the sci-fi genre? No comic book characters (ie, Superman doesn't count).

Not a good year for sci-fi movies it seems!

I need to come up with a brief review of a current science fiction movie which is part of a "last resort" recommendation interview on a science program on radio here in Norway....Not a good year for sci-fi movies it seems!

I highly recommend the following:

"Serenity"

Mankind has finally found both a usable star drive and a star system with planets and moons, many of which can be terraformed. The inner planets form the Alliance and use high technology to insure peace and harmony. The outer planets live a frontier existence, with slavery, lawlessness and unbridled opportunity. After a devestating war, they are brought under the control of the Alliance.

The "Serenity" is a small unarmed starship, used to haul cargo. Her crew are outland survivors of the war, just trying to make a living, and not always entirely within the Law. But they are carrying a passenger, a girl who is not altogether sane all the time, a girl who escaped from the mind-control laboratories of the Alliance. And the Alliance will do anything to get her back.

I saw Serenity on a PSP this summer!

But isn't it just "Firefly", Short Version?

Not at all.

The movie does not reprise ANY of the mini-series. It has the same "ship" (set), the same actors, and it shares with them the same background (the Alliance, and "reefers", for example).

But "Serenity" is a self contained story that can be understood and enjoyed without having ever seen the mini-series. It is a completely new story, and a damn good one. :nahnahbooboo:

Hmmm I know a few since I LOVE sci-fi movies.

Might I suggest Pitch Black? or Riddick

Heres a short list of my Favorite Sci-fi's:

V for Vendetta (awesome movie)

Aeon Flux (pretty good:) )

The Fifth Element (favorite movie of mine)

The Last one I'm going to suggest is Dune. I fell in love with the books and the Movies were almost as good. I personally liked every movie that's come out so far. The effects aren't particularly fantastic, but the plot of those books are followed very nicely in the movies and so I give them two thumbs up!

Unlike Eragon which was my all-time favorite book. The movie was a flop... I was really expecting better. I had hope that they'd at LEAST follow the storyline. Nope... they screwed it up too much. So yea, don't include Eragon on your list. :hihi:

Regards,

IMAMONKEY!

EDIT: Battlestar Galactica is pretty good too! The only problem is you have to find the entire series on DVD. My parents did but I don't think they want to loan it out. :shy:

Basically, V for Vendetta is my second favorite movie of all time.

It's a fairly recent sci-fi movie (although probably not recent enough for your purposes). I haven't had a chance to really sit down and watch it however, because it seems that whenever I do watch it, I'm with friends and I end up spending the whole movie explaining things.

My extensive knowledge of British history helped quite a bit. :turtle:

But anyway, that would be my #1 suggestion.

I highly recommend the following:

"Serenity"

Serenity was written by Joss Whedon, I believe... The writer of Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series.

It was a pretty good movie. A bit of Han Solo, mixed with some outer quadrant empire politics of Star Trek.

I'm not sure if that was this year, or not. seems its been a while since I watched it, and when I did, it had already been released for a while.

"Enemy Mine" was a good Sci-Fi movie. Its quite a few years older now...