• Historical Fiction
    • Fantasy
    • Science Fiction
    • Horror
    • Tragedy
    • Romance
    • I don't/can't read (picture books)
    • Popular Science

I can't read. Sorry, I won't be of much help to your exercise, but wish you nothing but the best.

Illititerate is not commnunicating with a sequence of words that all begin with the same sound.

Kidding aside, I suggest the following (probably the book that has thus far impacted me the most):

Black Holes and Time Warps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also page regarding it's author:

Kip Thorne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I put down "nonfiction" because that's mostly what I've been reading recently: science, history, politics, essays.

I like fiction too, but I'd hardly catagorize what I like as "realistic" or "scifi" or "fantasy" although its up to you to disagree that my faves are in any of these categories: Faulkner, Kafka, Brautigan, Vonnegut, Pynchon, Tom Robbins....

My mother is a fish, :bouquet:

Buffy

Up until I was 40 or so, practically all I read was Science Fiction, with the very rare exception of an occassional bodice ripper. :hihi: The amount of SF that I have read, and still remember, is staggering.

Then, I believe it was Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid that switched me over to non-fiction. From then on, I have been buying books on history, brain-science, Pulitzer non-fiction, bios, cosmology, astronomy, chaos, computer theory, paleontology, evolution, philosophy, systems theory. And bodice rippers. :shy:

"The Dilbert Principle"

• 4 weeks later...
Up until I was 40 or so, practically all I read was Science Fiction, with the very rare exception of an occassional bodice ripper. ;) The amount of SF that I have read, and still remember, is staggering.

Then, I believe it was Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid that switched me over to non-fiction. From then on, I have been buying books on history, brain-science, Pulitzer non-fiction, bios, cosmology, astronomy, chaos, computer theory, paleontology, evolution, philosophy, systems theory. And bodice rippers. ;)

"The Dilbert Principle"

I have GED but not read it yet. I think I must still be living in the dark. Must rectify the situation...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go with realistic fiction, though non-fiction comes as a close second.

With fiction, I like to delve into crime-fiction mostly, generally ones that go into the science behind it all, like forensics and such.

Non-fiction... well, anything that's interesting floats my boat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

favorite book genre for me would be in the companionship of Harlan Ellison ~ short stories that are fiction, i guess ~ or maybe non-fiction:confused: ; humorous and horrific; science fiction? speculative hard fact? maybe not too keen on this whole genre thing: actually neither was Joyce, another of my favorites; and Emily Dickinson, too ~ how 'bout the genre of nongenre?:ideamaybenot:

• 2 months later...

Nonfiction: Lots - from periodicals to online to books. My favorite authors: John McPhee who writes about anything and makes it interesting, Bernd Heinrich, best known about his works about ravens, and Edwin Way Teale, mid 20th century naturalist

Realistic Fiction : John McDonald's Travis McGee series, Tony Hillerman's Chee/Leaphorn series about the 4 Corners area of the US, many others

Historical Fiction: Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series about early 19th century British navy exploits

Fantasy: Tolkien

Science Fiction: Larry Niven, Arthur C Clarke, Heinlein, Frank Herbert and a host of others over the years

Horror : not much, but a few Stephen King

Comix : I have the twenty pound compendiums of Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side - always a great reference. :D

Popular Science: Carl Sagan, Stephen Jay Gould, Jared Diamond command the most bookshelf space.

Many nature guides covering all natural sciences.

...And then there's the web, which takes too much time away from by book larnin' The latest wrinkle in this addiction is something called Hypography Science Forums. :hihi: :) ;)