Science Forums

Classic Games

somebody

Oh classic games, how I love thee :D

It all depends on how far back something needs to be to be classic - I was born in 1986, grew up with SNES and Sega Genesis - to me, Sonic the Hedgehog is a classic game, however, it is quite far ahead of the classic arcade games from the early eighties. My favorites, in no particular order, are:

pong

space invaders

galaga

Breakout

Tetris

SMB

Bubble Bobble

Punch-Out!

Missle Command

Sonic (the first one)

Mutant League Hockey/Football

Final Fantasy (any)

Castlevania (original)

Shining Force

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day (1982), Sinistar was about my favorite - thought it's hard, and I never got through more than about 1.75 levels of it. Given the game's difficulty, its arcade coinbox's hunger for quarters, and my relative lack of same in those days, mastering it lay beyond my meager ability.

I found its basic game design – competing to “mine” the same “resources” as your enemy – elegant. I found it’s clunky, 8-direction controls infuriating.

• 2 weeks later...

>.>

Well with me, I'm still known to be playing some old ones. Right now I'm playing a game that's 9 years old..

Long ago, so long ago that I barely remember them..

On the .. Intelivision? (I think), I play Frog Bog.

And on the old PC we had before hard drives were availible for PCs, I was playing this one game that.. good god I can't even remember it's name now. You controlled this little guy and you ran around a top-down view map dodgin and shooting robots while rescuing the girl. (you can find it on an arcade-style machine nowadays)

A few years later came the Sega Genesis and the Nintendo Game Boy.

On the Genesis, I was always playing Bubsy, Bubsy2, and ofcourse the Sonic games. As well I played Shinobi 3 alot.

On the Game Boy, hoo! It was Kirby's Dreamland and Metroid 2.

Then I got my SNES. Earthbound FTW. And ZOOP. .. ZOOP was weird, but fun.

Classics, PC wise.

Fallout series. (10 years for Fallout 1, that makes it a classic in video game terms :rolleyes: )

I cringe when I think of all the quarters I put into Pong, Galaxians and Lunar Lander. I could retire now if it hadn't been for video games.

I was the best Lunar Lander player at Baybrook Mall, and teens would beg me to teach them how to beat the game. A few of them actually gave ME quarters to demonstrate my skill at the game. Ahhh, those were the days. ;)

On the early Macintosh, Crystal Quest was far and above my favorite. Its unique feature was in how the mouse input was interpreted. For most games, and all applications, moving the mouse a small increment, e, moved the cursor a corresponding distance on the screen, x.

e ~ x

In Crystal Quest, moving the mouse a small increment changed the velocity of the cursor, or the first derivative of distance with respect to time.

e ~ dx/dt

This meant you had to "think" in terms of speed and accelleration, not in terms of location and distance. Your "ship" drifted at a constant velocity when your mouse was still. You moved the mouse for just a second to alter your drift direction and velocity, then held the mouse still again.

Also, when you clicked the mouse button, bullets would issue in the direction you were already going, at twice the speed your "ship" was already traveling. So you couldn't point and shoot; you had to be going toward your target and then shoot. Marvelously inventive game.

• 1 month later...
I always liked "the Oregon Trail" computer game as a elementary school kid. Primative, but you had to budget and ration yourself to make it....

Oh my gosh. I remember that game!! I spent many hours in 3rd grade playing that on a classroom computer. I remember: it came on a floppy disk. And I mean one of those disks that were actually *floppy*.

Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood.

• 1 month later...

Heh, lemmee see.....

1) Frogger. Me and a friend could actually put a coin in the slot and play the game all day long, taking turns (between classes). Actually, it was a cocktail machine (glass top table variety) and the coolest thing (handy, when you're at school on a grim budget, was that you could rapidly turn it on/off at the power point until it popped a free credit. Looking back now, it amazes me we never blew it's transformer...).

2) Galaxian. Heh, straining the gray matter now, but there was a cheat that required you to let all the galaxians turn up on the first pattern. Then u had to kill all the galaxians except the left most bottom blue one. You'd dodge that blue one as it would go out of formation and bomb you, then go back into formation - without ever shooting it. After 20 - 30 min it would stop bombing you (whilst still going out of and back into formation. This was the sign that you could now shoot it down (to proceed to screen 2, etc) and nothing would shoot at you again (meaning all you had to do was dodge). Quite easy to clock after you'd gone through this process :shrug:

3) Pengo. Don't know why, I just liked it. Never found a cheat, except for the fact that there were only about 10 - 15 'starting' screens. After a while, you got to know 'em all and you no longer had to think of how you were going to go about lining up the three special cubes to get the extra 10K bonus. Very easy game once you knew all the starting screens. Which meant again, that I got value for money per game (again, very important when you're a student).

Wow, that's a trip down memory lane!!!