Science Forums

Bush Fires

Jay-qu

Taildragerdriver:

I can understand and respect your needing to devote your online time to other aspects of this forum that hold interest to you, and this is a very complicated issue with numerous factors. I have no doubt you believe firmly in the statements you have made, however, doing a bit of googling, I run into counter information.

If there wasnt variables in the data we wouldnt have much to discuss.

In this forum, it is (dare I say) encouraged to bring opposing thoughts to the table and both parties may be required to back up statements with sources. It may be fustrating to you (time/interest constraints) and you do try to be fair in your posting.

The thing I keep in mind when posting is it seems for every one party posting, 10 havent an opinion and are looking for more info before deciding which idea they can support. Its an opportunity to further information to alot of people who only have newsbites as their sources. And forum posting has improved my arguing/research skills greatly since discovering them on the www. That said...

I found this exchange between the two of us to have alot of information for others and enjoyed playing the part of 'other viewpoint' with you. Your contributions are appreciated and anytime you want to pick it back up, let me know. I will leave the posts basically unanswered (and I had a bunch to say) until your ready to continue (unless someone else wants to take up the gauntlet).

Enjoy the forums!

Cedar:

I would also like to continue our discussion. I will probably slow down the response time a bit though so I can concentrate on the "terra preta" forum a bit more.

I appreciate that we can do this in a good open honest presentation of our beliefs and ideas. I think many people have great concerns for our public lands and I am glad that is true. So I can see how this discussion is valuable.

I respect all points of view on this issue and it seems like you do as well.

Thanks

Taildragerdriver

I was in a national park down here a few years back - wilson's promentory - and the rangers there where doing some controlled burns to minimise the excess build up. On the 2nd day I was there I found a seagull with an injured wing, so after a little effort I managed to capture and calm the thing down. I took it to a ranger and asked if he would help it, he replied "no sorry, we like to let nature take its course and not interfere" go figure! for some reason he didnt think doing controlled burning was 'interfering' with natures way of doing things...

I was in a national park down here a few years back - wilson's promentory - and the rangers there where doing some controlled burns to minimise the excess build up. On the 2nd day I was there I found a seagull with an injured wing, so after a little effort I managed to capture and calm the thing down. I took it to a ranger and asked if he would help it, he replied "no sorry, we like to let nature take its course and not interfere" go figure! for some reason he didnt think doing controlled burning was 'interfering' with natures way of doing things...

Interesting comment Jay-qu. It used to be like that here (and maybe still) when finding an injured animal on a park. For Minnesota, I am not aware of any park related wildlife rehabilitation efforts. They are all other aspects of wildlife rehab (usually tied to the U of MN). I think if I were to find a wounded animal and attempted to remove it from the park to take it to help, I would be violating a state law (law regarding removal of plants/animals from park boundries). That is not to say I wouldnt do it anyways. As far as National parks, I would imagine the law is similar (thinking back on Yellowstone rules). Now if I were to find a wounded eagle, I am sure the effort by the park personal would be positive and every effort would be made to save that bird. Priorities. Plus the blow back from negative press, if they ignored the eagle it would be a public relations nightmare.

But heres a links page with info on wildlife rehabs around the world, should you encounter something like this again. You might have been able to get permission to remove the bird for rehab elsewhere.

World Wildlife Rehab contacts

I have brought a few injured animals in for rehab after finding them wounded (car accidents mostly, others unknown). All of them had to be euthanized because their injuries were so dramatic. The one that made me the most sad was the male Great horned owl. He ended up blind from the encounter and I was told this is a common side effect of car/bird collisions. But I will continue to bring them in as I find them. I felt better for trying and I also know the animal didnt suffer any longer than it had too.

I found it some concern while staying in the university guest house in salt lake city that a large bush fire was raging some 1km from the accomadation and was intressted to see the firefighters way of putting it out was to first spray the fire to cool it then shovel dirt onto it to stop it recatching however it was very small scale incomparison to this austrailian one which sounds realy bad and those SI's showed the extent of the fire and the drought effects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

<You thought this was going to be about the President when you clicked the link, didn't you? Ahh... the social consciousness is an interesting thing, indeed.>

So, we've had strange record amounts of rain in central Texas. This area is normally known for drought and heat this time of year.

How are things down under? :lol: :phones: :hyper:

At the moment just fine, we finally got some rain to ease the drought - which resulted in flooding, but I would say we are far from out of the woods in terms of our water strorage. The ski season has so far been the best in a few years with some actual powder hanging around the higher peaks :phones:

• 1 year later...
A small contingent of Australian volunteer bush fire fighters has just left for California, to try and help.

From what I've seen on the news they can use all the help they can get! Thank you to Australia, you guys always seem to come through when you are needed!

We've been living in a pall of smoke for weeks now...we can sure use the help!

But some stupid with a flare gun, burned the place to the ground, :)

Buffy

We had to rely on your smoke up here on the Columbia River for the last couple weeks, but now we have some of our own. This fire, burning about 30 miles from me, was likely sparked by that lightning storm I reported on in the Weather Watching thread. Off to get some updates from the Noon News: Wildfire spreads near Mt Adams | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

Smoke on the water tonight, :fire: :)