Science Forums

How to talk to aliens

Stargazer

There's nothing to say you couldn't inhabit the EM spectrum, but you would have fun whenever you hit anything like a gas cloud or whatever, as you would cease to be in a few nanoseconds. The issue is there is no storage, and computation is somewhat tricky, too.

If I were to wipe out the species from orbit, I would release two or three types of bateria/viri. One would be something like Bird Flu, highly contagious and highly lethal, the next would be a "slow burner" AIDS type disease that blood screening wouldn't pick up for at least a while, and the third would be something like a massive cancer agent or something that causes sterility, which would prevent rapid repopulation. This would knock out 75%+ of the population, infect lots of other people (mostly those who were given blood transfusions to survive the first one) with something nasty, and the few immune to both would be limited in breeding options. This would cripple the entire population, and no single "magic bullet" use would save them.

It would also require massive resources to solve the issue, and it's a non-military use, meaning that even if someone spots the risk, there is no way that as much could be pumped into the war economy due to the drains on it from the "War on Flu" (unless "Contiguous cull" was used... :-( (That means you shoot everyone with it, and even those who don't have it, if they are nearby or vaguely suspect. So just like the "War on Drugs" and "War on Terror".)

Back on topic:

Use a record that plays the same backwards as forwards. Record 40 minutes going forwards, and then reverse the record so the second half is the same played backwards. Then if they play it backwards from the center to the outside, it plays the first half correctly, too!

You only do this on one of them, so it becomes easy for them to spot that all the other recordings play outside to inside, and they will have the same sounds. Also, the typical "endless spiral" on a record would lend support to the outside to inside track, as a needle placed on the inner track would fall off the outside edge, but one from the outside would work inwards and be caught safely.

Relating to the suggestions from earlier in the thread about aliens perhaps being extremely dangerous...

If we were to send out a large amount of information in a message, mayeb it would be a good idea to send as much information as possible about us, but exclude anything concerning our aggression or military capabilities. That way, assuming we were still around when they arrived, we could carpet bomb the crap out them in a surprise attack. Better safe than sorry.

If we were to send out a large amount of information in a message, mayeb it would be a good idea to send as much information as possible about us, but exclude anything concerning our aggression or military capabilities. That way, assuming we were still around when they arrived, we could carpet bomb the crap out them in a surprise attack. Better safe than sorry.

Something tells me that if aliens could get here from Zeta Reticuli or wherever, that they are not going to be terribly concerned with our fighting abilities. I don't think that carpet bombs are going to much use against somebody with interstellar capabilities.

Although I guess, if we were to spend as much money on getting to space as we do on killing each other - we'd probably have spread over half the solar system by now.

TFS

That way, assuming we were still around when they arrived, we could carpet bomb the crap out them in a surprise attack. Better safe than sorry.

Haha! I love that!

Imagine:

Aliens will receive radio and TV broadcasts of the '60s hippie movement, about how we all should make love, not war, and flowerpower, peace, love and all that jazz. So they'll think "Hmm - nice naive little planet. Let's enslave the bastards!" And when they get here they'll be nuked out of existence! :Waldo:

I'm still struggling to get past the idea that any signals potential aliens receive would be interpretted as anything more than whwam hwah whwum whahha whum.

...Just like the teacher at the front of the class in the old Peanuts/Charlie brown cartoons.

Interesting trivia: According to Snoopy.com, the Official Peanuts Website, the voice of the teacher was actually created on a trombone, with the use of a plunger as a mute.

Anyway, why should we think they'd hear anything more than that?

What do we hear when we listen to monkeys? To frogs? To insects? To each other? And we share the same planet! :Waldo:

If aliens can/could get here, then I imagine their technology would win a war.

If we 'Nuked" them, then we'd be living with the radioactive consequence..

We cant even fix traffic and crime problems. Let alone international ones.

Aliens arive, We are Dead... :Waldo: Unless they would rather enslave us.

We cant even fix traffic and crime problems. Let alone international ones.

Aliens arive, We are Dead... :Waldo: Unless they would rather enslave us.

I expect they would recognize us a primitive tribal beings without much capacity for welcoming outsiders unless they can serve us. Why would a civilized society want to get involved with such creatures other than put us in a zoo?

Are ants a civilized society?

They wouldn't be able to interpret our signals... Further, we are only beginning to grasp some basics of their communication.

It's not like aliens are all going to be bipedal humanoid-like creatures... they could be a cloud-like mist... a goo that slides around the ground... a forest....

We hardly understand life on our own planet, and also how it communicates. Even our thoughts (like war, anger, fear, observation, entertainment) are a product of our evolution, and the evolution on any other planet is going to be subject to vastly different pressures.