Science Forums

USA Imperialism

Michaelangelica

Could someone please explain this to me?

Is it an example of U.S. imperialism in America?

Why does Puerto Rico have a US congressman?

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=pr

O!

Also

The Virgin Islands, Samoa and Guam?

Thanks

US gains Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898 War with Spain.

Puerto Rico is a US territory with its own governor.

Puerto Rico becomes a Commonwealth with a constitution in 1952.

Puerto Ricans are US citizens in 1917.

Puerto Rico has one non-voting Resident Commissioner in the HOR.

Puerto Ricans in PR do not vote in federal elections.

Puerto Ricians in PR do not pay federal income taxes.

Puerto Ricians can be drafted in a US war.

Puerto Ricians voted in a 1998 referendum on statehood(46.5%), commonwealth(50%), or independence(2.5%).

Puerto Rico can decide its future at any time.

Imperialism in Puerto Rico, no, in the Philippines, yes.

There is a small independence movement in Hawaii.

Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands are US territories. All have not decided their future status (state, commonwealth, independence).

There are not any widespread calls for independence, as it appears the US makes the status quo too appealing for change.

There is a small independence movement in Hawaii.

Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands are US territories.

Thanks freddy

Amazing never knew. Got a USA map from Michael Moore about congress and it showed the above.

Do you know how Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands became US territories?

Were they just spoils of WW2?

When will Australia get a congressman?(Mc Donalds KFC, exxon, Gloria jean,starbucks, Toy' are us, holliwood etc etc etc own most of the country now)

Thanks freddy

Amazing never knew. Got a USA map from Michael Moore about congress and it showed the above.

Do you know how Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands became US territories?

Were they just spoils of WW2?

When will Australia get a congressman?(Mc Donalds KFC, exxon, Gloria jean,starbucks, Toy' are us, holliwood etc etc etc own most of the country now)

US Virgin Islands from Netherlands in a treaty in 1917.

American Samoa came from the 1899 Treaty of Berlin.

Guam and Philippines ceded from Spain in 1898.

An independence movement in Hawaii is an interesting idea. Seeing as most of the real estate in Hawaii belongs to Japanese companies and/or citizens, their loyalties might tend to shift.

But look on the bright side! If Hawaii successfully pursues independence, Peurto Rico can be convinced that Statehood is the better option, and then the number of stars on the flag'll stay the same!

Once statehood is accepted, secession is a no-no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession

Excerpts: "The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the 1869 case Texas v. White that unilateral secession by a U.S. state was unconstitutional and had no force in statutory law."

---

"It should be noted that after the American Civil War, Congress passed legislation outlawing the act of secession by any state in the Union."

moo

An independence movement in Hawaii is an interesting idea. Seeing as most of the real estate in Hawaii belongs to Japanese companies and/or citizens, their loyalties might tend to shift.

But look on the bright side! If Hawaii successfully pursues independence, Peurto Rico can be convinced that Statehood is the better option, and then the number of stars on the flag'll stay the same!

I understand now. It is a bit like France calling any bits of their left over colonial past "provinces/departments like New Caledonia who is represented as say Provence in France would be.

It is interesting that the Brits ( affectionatly known here as Pommies) have let go most of their bits. Why do they hang on to Gibraltar and the Falklands? The Falklands for god sake Who would go there? Is their oil there or what?

A Japanese Hawaii would be ironic.

During WW2 Australian defence chiefs drew a line across the middle of Australia starting roughly at Brisbane in the east to Western Australia and extending N. to the tropics. This was to be the final line of defence against the Japanese invasion.

It has taken 60 years but it is finally working!

Could Peurto Rico secede?

What is the deal with the Philippines?

Don't want to let that go before they find all of Yamamoto's gold?

Why does Puerto Rico have a US congressman?

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=pr

O!

Also

The Virgin Islands, Samoa and Guam?

Thanks

These congresspeople – and Eleanor Nortol Holmes for the District of Collumbia – are delegates to the US House of Representatives, not representatives, the distinction being that they have no vote (essentially – see the wiki link for details), only the privilege of attending and speaking in Congress, participating in committees, etc.

Despite the similar status of their delegates, there are notable differences between the District and other us territories, such as Puerto Rico, including:

• DC is allowed 1 electoral vote for President and Vice President
  • DC residents pay US federal income tax

This status inspired one of the more interesting mottos to appear on an automobile license plate – in Washington, DC (the District of Columbia), you can chose, at no additional cost, to have “Taxation without Representation” on your license plate. President Bill Clinton chose to have this motto on the license plates of all the White House’s vehicles, including the presidential limousines. One of President George W. Bush’s first acts in office was to have them all replaced with tags bearing the motto “http://www.dc.gov”.

Many people who don’t live in the area are unaware of the low-key mutual animosity between the District and the US Government, especially its Republican office holders.

Puerto Rico's future is in its hands.

Cuba was given outright independence and we all know what a stupid decision that turned out to be.

The Philippines has been independent since 1946.

Hawaii was forced into US possession. This was not the typical way the US gained land from a treaty, i.e.; Louisiana Purchase 1803, Florida Purchase 1819, Gasden Purchase 1853, and Alaskan Purchase 1867 or from a war and a following treaty, i.e.; American Revolution/Treaty of Paris 1783, Mexican War/Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo 1848, and Spanish-American War/Treaty of Paris 1898. Hawaii was stolen by the US at gunpoint. It really is a shameful history that most Americans remain ignorant of. However, an argument can be made that most of American soil was stolen from Native Americans.

Hawaii was stolen by the US at gunpoint. It really is a shameful history that most Americans remain ignorant of. However, an argument can be made that most of American soil was stolen from Native Americans.

Current holdings of most (if not all) nations were "stolen" at some point in time. While that doesn't make it right, it's been 113 years since the political overthrow of Hawaii took place (1893) - and though it was annexed as a U.S. Territory, self-governance was restored in 1900.

And in 1959 Hawaiian residents voted to accept statehood by a ratio of 17 to 1. :cup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii

moo

Puerto Rico's future is in its hands.

Cuba was given outright independence and we all know what a stupid decision that turned out to be.

great place to buy 50's vintage cars!

How does Guantanamo Bay work then?

Does it have congressman?

The Philippines has been independent since 1946.

I should have known that. Pity still lots of gold hidden there. The CIA did very well out of it

Hawaii was forced into US possession.

Funny captain Cook didn't claim it

However, an argument can be made that most of American soil was stolen from Native Americans.

same too with Australia. The British declared that the place was "Terra Nullis" (No-one-lives-here-so-we-will-have-it). Aborigines have lived here 40,000-80,000 years (depending on who you read). The history is and continues to be shameful as I believe Indian history is in the US.

(Famously, an aboriginal leader once took the Aboriginal Flag to England plonked it down in London and claimed all of the UK for the aboriginal nation- good one!)

I finally worked out what DC stands for. So it is not a State but a "District"? I Looved the number plates idea. Bush is a kill-joy (Was that a bad pun?)

Thanks for the US History/Politics Course 101 I am learning lots so I thought I would return the favour.

Australian government is roughly based on the Westminster system.There are six States two territories and lots of islands who just hang on to some state or territory not necessarily the nearest. (Including Norfolk Island who are getting frisky in the High Court about something about voting I really don't understand).

Each state elects 12 "Senators. The two territories Canberra (Like Washington DC full of politicians and alcoholic journalists) and the Northern territory (mainly full of crocodiles) The territories get 2 Senators each The Upper House "Senate"

is a "house of review". Theoretically it was meant to protect the rights and interests of the States Actually it is just Party Political. The House of representatives consists of people elected by a particular geographical area or "electorates". The boundaries of these electorates are so organised that they contain roughly the same number of people. Some Out-Back electorates are bigger than France.

Legislation can be initiated by any house but mostly the House of Reps is where the power lies. Though by some historical quirk the senate has the old Kingly right of "refusing supply" (We-are-not-going-to-give-you-any-money- to-run-the-country-so-there). This power has been infamously used against two progressive, reforming labour governments but that is another story.

The party in control of the Reps (lower house) decides who they want as a leader. This person becomes the "Prime Minister" presently Hon. John Howard (Good friend of Bush, need I say more?)

There are two main political parties "Labour"( sort of 'Democraty') and "Liberal" (sort of 'Republicanny') . In reality each party has a mix of waring right and left wing groups who come together in mutual interest. Often they overlap.

Smaller parties include

The "Democrats" a small sort of super-sane-honest up-front middle-of-the- road party that everyone has been predicting the demise of for the last thirty years.They do seem to have a death wish with that position. (All the other parties loathe them)

The "National" party is in coalition with the Liberals to form government. In reality they are just the right wing of the Liberal party(Used to be called the "Country Party" because they look after farmers interests etc).

The Greens ( obvious who they represent, probably the most left wing party along with the left wing of the labour party). Environmental degradation is stating to hurt.

Some odd ball fundamentalist and single issue parties etc.

Mostly smaller parties can only hope to get enough % of the vote to get a few members in the Upper House (Senate). Although it is becoming more common for independents (? allegiance to no party or doctrine- some are some ain't) to get elected in both houses

Strangely our head of State is Queen Elizabeth II; mainly because the republicans could not agree whether the Head of State should be popularly elected (like your president) or appointed. So they ended up keeping the Queen !

(I know you will find it strange that I personally prefer appointment)

Most state Governments operate similar systems.

there are also local councils the training ground for up-and-coming politicians and real estate developers.

Another thing you may find strange about our system is that voting in ALL elections is compulsory. Don't vote and you cop a $50 or so, fine. Most vote and only 5-10% are "Donkey Votes" ( stupid or angry people).

I guess in America the 44% of you who believe Armageddon will happen in the next 10-20 years won't bother voting; 30% do vote I believe. What happens to the other 26%?

Most Most Australians are a-political and are more interested in surfing or any game involving a ball (of any shape or size ).They distrust all Politicians as a rule.

Most know little of the system and probably could not make a post like this. Although many people lately are getting upset with the present mob of politicians in Canberra (all parties) especially about immigration "detention" (Jail for poor bastards floating here in death ships trying to come here for a better life- Come by plane-or with money- it's OK- lots of Afghans & Iraqis at the moment), repressive terror laws, industrial laws, economic rationalism, rising interest rates, lack of vision and David Hicks rotting in a cell in Guantanamo Bay.

Politics is only well taught at University level and few do that.

Most Australian love "Yanks" especially because they are so naive and gullible and believe their tall stories (usually told in "Pubs" -places where most go to get smashed with beer daily).

Yankee Culture thrives here (another Cultural Colony? eg.,Superman 2 has just started to shoot in Sydney!)

We have no colonies but troops and/or police are keeping the peace in Fiji, Timor (lots of Oil. some ours some theirs, the usual problem), Afghanistan, and Iraq.

Australia is fairly irrelevant in world events with 20m or so people but we like it. We do have 12,000K+ or so of what Californians call "Public White Sand Beaches"

When I visited the US 24 years ago I was shown great kindness. But why you don't study geography? I learnt to buy maps rather than ask for directions

I was told I spoke good English for an Austrian

Y-How do you get on to your beaches?

A-0.o you park the car or walk to them :confused:

One person said Y-"Why did you start a nursery in Australia?

:confused:A- Well??. . cause I was born there!?

Y-"OOO I didn't realise people were actually born there."

A-:confused:

So endeth the lesson. I hope I have not bored you.

Questions?

More info here

http://www.pm.gov.au/aus_in_focus/government/index.html

(the official version)

--

michael

USA imperialism is quite tame compared to what could be possible. One only has to look back at history to all the world superpowers and compare their level of imperialism to what the strongest country of all time has taken. The United Kingdom spanned the globe. France and Spain also had their share of global imperialism in their haydays. If one goes back further to Attila the Hun, Geigis Khan, Alexander the Great, etc. they did pretty well too. Germany and Japan stretch out for a while through WWII. The old Soviet union may have been one of the top Imperialists of all time. Rome, Greece, Assyria, Persian, etc., all had extensive holdings in the ancient world. The USA, has a few puny islands. That is an embassing amount of Imperialism by any historical standards. But this is due to USA practicing what it preaches; freedom.

Here is what President Cleveland had to say about Hawaii.

From Wikipedia:

"In a message to Congress on December 18, 1893, President Grover Cleveland reported fully and accurately on the illegal acts of the conspirators, described such acts as an "act of war, committed with the participation of a diplomatic representative of the United States and without authority of Congress", and acknowledged that by such acts the government of a peaceful and friendly people was overthrown; President Cleveland further concluded that a "substantial wrong has thus been done which a due regard for our national character as well as the rights of the injured people requires we should endeavor to repair" and called for the restoration of the Hawaiian monarchy;"

The US stole Hawaii!

USA imperialism is quite tameThat is an embassing amount of Imperialism by any historical standards. But this is due to USA practicing what it preaches; freedom.

Yes I agree about Imperilaism; although it is big in the cultural & corporate Imperialism departments.

However it is a very big pity that it is no longer

practicing what it preaches; freedom.

It fills me with sadness and a great sense of loss, disapointment and anger.

Qualified by the observation that the Native Americans practiced war, thievery, and slavery among themselves long before Europeans arrived. :doh:

Australian aboriginies did a little bit too; though I think not as much as in America.

The experts in "war, thievery, and slavery" were the Europeans. I cannot forgive what Spain did to the Aztecs and Incas. Burning their libraries was the worst.

I was told I spoke good English for an Austrian
Once I was with an old classmate that was doing his military service in a base where there were also Yanks and he was chatting with one he had got to know, a seargent. I aksed him what state he was from and he replied "Pennsylvania" and asked me where I was from. I said I was born in Canada and he looked mildly surprised and asked me where I learned such good English. Back then I had never heard of the Amish, else I could have asked him where he learned it.