Science Forums

Should "trans fats" be banned?

Should we ban "trans fats"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we ban "trans fats"?

• Yes, the government needs to protect our health.
    • No, the government should but-out of what I eat.

Transfats are damaging to the body, but they are not addictive

They are actually addictive. A study was done in the UK which shown that overweight people will crave trans-fatty foods and will refuse to eat anything else because they feel they have to satisfy that craving, similar to smoking where they satisfy their craving, although smoking isn't restricted to overweight people.

Secondly, banning trans-fats is a great move. It will help reduce heart disease. To all those who don't support it, how would you feel if your mother died suddenly young of a heart attack, and it was due to an excess of trans, would you like it then?

Reducing heart-disease and disease in general makes the public that little bit healthier which is always beneficial and will slightly reduce medical costs for the government. Next people won't import trans-fats like cigarettes so you can't ban smoking as illegal importing will always take place continuously.

Ultimately if it's saving lives in te long-term, is it really that bad of a move.

It's quite ridiculous to come out with childish statements like " The Government can't tell us what to do ", look beyong naivity to the world of reasoning and see it's a very good move to save peoples lives and ultimately that's what's important.

They are actually addictive. A study was done in the UK which shown that...

Can you get us a link to this study? A study was done showing that people will say a study was done to give relevance to a point and it's important to ask them to cite their sources. :hihi:

That said...

Alcohol isn't good for you, but look what happened when that was prohibited...

Ultimately if it's saving lives in te long-term, is it really that bad of a move.

It's quite ridiculous to come out with childish statements like " The Government can't tell us what to do ", look beyong naivity to the world of reasoning and see it's a very good move to save peoples lives and ultimately that's what's important.

So let's say that a study was done where they stated that masturbation shortened life span (I strongly doubt this is the case, but just for purposes of the question, let's take it as true). Would you support the government's attempt to outlaw masturbation for the purpose of saving and extending people's lives, since "that's what's important?"

Lots of things are bad for us, and not everyone follows laws. Regulations and safeguards are good, but it should be more to inform the public when foods have such substances and clearly articulate the issues when eating them. After all, the final choice will be theirs, even if it kills them.

So let's say that a study was done where they stated that masturbation shortened life span (I strongly doubt this is the case, but just for purposes of the question, let's take it as true). Would you support the government's attempt to outlaw masturbation for the purpose of saving and extending people's lives, since "that's what's important?"

You obviously didn't read my post carefully enough. I stated that it wouldn't be a very good move to ban something that thousands of people are addicted to, like smoking or in your special case masturbation. In these cases importing becomes the major problem even when it's not banned!

But just banning trans-fats, you won't get people importing it and obese people can live without it and would welcome the ban in the long term or short term actually. Many people in the population who regularly eat these foods and regret eating them becuase it made them gain weight will be happy that they don't have the option of choosing such a meal if they so wish.

Thus more peoples lives are saved, don't compare and contrast as this is completely different than smoking and related addicts.

Obviously... :QuestionM

If folks are "addicted" to something, then banning it will simply cause them to take more secretive steps to attain it.

Many people in the population who regularly eat these foods and regret eating them becuase it made them gain weight will be happy that they don't have the option of choosing such a meal if they so wish.

Many people eat these foods and then regret it? So it's the governments job to prevent the action which led to regret? That's funny. I regret hurting that girl's feelings by breaking up with her, so the government should outlaw relationships. :shrug:

I don't think that trans-fats are good. I think alternatives should be used. However, if you are going to argue that point, don't do so on the basis of saving lives of people who are addicted. Do so on the fact that we should not intentionally put harmful products into foods when healthier options are readily available.

I agree with 70% of what you say.

However, when I refer to regret I mean individual person, say a conscious woman who's watching what she's eating, she would hate to eat these foods but because their there , they might decide to eat them.

It's best to reduce that option thus eliminate them. Heart Disease is a huge problem and this one step can hopefully reduce this statistic.

To reiterate:

Trans-fats only benefit/reason for existence is that they save money for manufacturer's and restaurants. They don't make food "taste better" (unlike
by the way).

People may become addicted to things, but unless they are intensely aware of what they are consuming to satisfy the addiction, they will not really notice anything but withdrawl symptoms if its taken away, especially if the "secret ingredient" is simply removed from something they "crave."

Craving/withdrawl are definitions of effects of substances, but the craving is very wide in its "strength": People *definitely* were able to tell the difference right away when Coke no longer had Cocaine in it, but there's no way to even tell you've got non-trans-fat bread unless the withdrawl symptoms are intense and immediate, and--still waiting for the reference to that UK study--simple experiments indicate they are way down on the scale:

I had an older jar of peanut butter and did a taste test with my kid (kids have much more sensitive palletes: she can name brand names of root beer by taste alone). She could taste no difference at all between the with- and non- peanut butters at all.

Seriously, is anyone going to go out looking for this stuff? I doubt it.

No one is talking about "making Trans-Fats illegal." If you really want to cook with them at home--knowingly--no one will stop you. *Restaurants* are being told they can't use them, but this is in my book about as "unfair" as telling them that they're not allowed to have rats running loose in their kitchens (again note, there's still nothing illegal under that law that says you can't have a rat running around in your *own* kitchen at home if you want to). Of course manufacturers are removing it from *everything* with no law *requiring* them to do so: its simply good business, given an educated public. I'm sure some marketing genius will produce a line of chips "Loaded with Yummy Trans-Fat!" except that taste tests will show no difference.

If it weren't for the focus on the *substance* rather than the *practice* it would be completely uncontroversial: "Restaurants are required to change the fat in their deep-fryers every day, rather than once every two weeks." Who would be *against* that?

Would you like to Super-trans-fat that?

Buffy

Nice post Buffy. :hihi:

If you break it down, food is itself a drug, technically. and many times food should be considered as powerful, or detrimental, as any other drug-thing we take into our bodies.

Its all about shelf life for many of these food companies. Pure and simple.

But on a positive note, the marketers have noticed some revolting, and will then adjust for consumer demands, or lose customers.

There will always be a percentage of people who don't care.

Starbucks clearly gets the message, and I would be surprised if more companies do not quickly follow suit.

Starbucks plans to drop trans fats - U.S. Business - MSNBC.com

SEATTLE - Starbucks Corp. is cutting trans fats from the doughnuts, muffins and other treats in half of its U.S. stores, and plans to eventually drop the artery-clogging fats from company-operated coffeehouses across the country.

The world’s largest specialty coffee retailer has been working to eliminate trans fats from its food menu for about two years, spokesman Brandon Borrman said Tuesday.

“This is just something we have been working on, and our focus has always been on providing our customers with healthy and nutritious food options,” Borrman said.

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be a bad idea health-wise, however it would never really work. It's like saying 'should cigarettes be banned?' ... theres a huge industry involved and whoever in government suggests it to the public will no doubt lose votes and credibility in the eyes of the general public (people such as the ones who like it, those who want freedom of choice, those who work with these foods, those who sells these foods etc).

So of course there would be a loss of jobs, loss of money... which is probably an ok expense for our health but not according to the hungry consumer or those involved with its profits.

• 2 months later...

Trans fat have hit the news

Look at this!

Trans fats get hospital discharge papers

Remote Access - White Plains,NY,USA

Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla recently surveyed its vending machines and removed all candy and chips that contained trans fats. ...

See all stories on this topic

Dining services omits harmful trans-fatty acids

Sidelines Online (subscription) - Murfreesboro,TN,USA

Last December, New York City's Board of Health voted to completely ban the artificial trans fats in restaurants by July 2008. ...

Baldwin Park program aims at trans fats

San Gabriel Valley Tribune - West Covina,CA,USA

Lozano said over the next few weeks, the city will be working on implementing a program to educate restaurants and grocery stores citywide about trans fats. ...

FSU eateries get rid of trans fats

Tallahassee Democrat - Tallahassee,FL,USA

... faculty, staff and campus visitors manage their consumption of trans fats and saturated fats,” Dianna Norwood, marketing director for FSU's finance and ...

No Longer An Orphan

Town Hall - Washington,DC,USA

Today, they want to ban spanking; tomorrow, they’ll want to disarm honest citizens and confiscate private property willy-nilly. Today, it’s trans-fats; ...

More from today's Opinion section:

BurlingtonFreePress.com - Burlington,VT,USA

Trans-fats are mostly man-made and have been associated with increased death rates from heart disease for many years, in many studies. Among fats, there are ...

University of Toledo food supplier invokes partial ban of trans fats

Toledo Blade - Toledo,OH,USA

In the meantime, McDonald’s still uses trans fats, although it promised to eliminate them four years ago, and Bob Evans newest menu items, the “stacked and ...

Shari's to stop using oils containing trans-fats

Beaverton Valley Times - Portland,OR,USA

Beaverton-based restaurant chain Shari's announced Monday that it will soon start using trans-fat-free cooking and deep fryer oils. ...

Reducing Trans Fats in Baked Goods

13WHAM-TV - Rochester,NY,USA

Trans fats come from hydrogenated oil. When heated, these fats change shape that the body can't filter out, so they stay and can harm the heart and raise ...

Health Notes: Multiple Sclerosis has variety of symptoms

Dallas Morning News (subscription) - TX,USA

Stick margarine contains trans fats, which are created when oils are hydrogenated to make the margarine solid. Trans fats, like dietary cholesterol and ...

Indian food worse than Western junk?

Times of India - New Delhi,India

These findings were presented at a conference on "Fats and trans-fatty acids in Indian diet" at the Seventh Health Writers Workshop organised by Health ...

Danisco eases trans fat concerns

Newsdesk - Stockholm,Sweden

Trans fats may develop when fats are subject to partial hydrogenation. Although trans fatty acids are never present in fully hydrogenated fats, ...

Absurdum ad Infinitum

Spot-On - USA

Alas, the state of California, which should know better than to emulate New York City, is considering several state-wide laws to prohibit trans-fats. ...

Surprise! No trans fat

phillyBurbs.com - Philadelphia,PA,USA

Trans fats have been a hot topic in recent months, as nutritionists, dieticians and public health officials have stepped up their criticism of the ...

Theater snacks rarely a healthy choice

Los Angeles Times - CA,USA

All the same, Etter says the 900 members of the concessionaires association are focused on reducing trans fats, and there is even a ShoWest panel on the ...

Answers to some trans fats questions

Fort Wayne News Sentinel - Fort Wayne,IN,USA

Here's a refresher about trans fats: Artificial trans fats are made by adding hydrogen to vegetable oil to make it stable. Companies began using them to ...

FSU trims the fat with new trans fat-free oil

Florida State University - Tallahassee,FL,USA

"We are pleased to be one of the first universities in the country to eliminate trans fats from fryers at all our Aramark dining locations." ...

Fast-food groups will phase out deadly trans fats

NEWS.com.au - Australia

A meeting of food industry representatives in Sydney yesterday agreed to come up with a plan by September to remove trans-fats, which are suspected of ...

Google Blogs Alert for: trans fats

A (relatively) healthy, trans-fat free margarine!

By richart

I had also heard it mentioned that there are “trans fat free” shortening, but simply assumed that they, in fact, contained small amounts of trans fats - ie, less than 0.5 grams per serving as allowed under US trans fat labelling laws. ...

Richard Seah's Health Promotion... - Richard Seah’s Health Promotion Blog - The Alternative HPB

University of Toledo food supplier invokes partial ban of trans fats

Beware the donut and shun the french fry.

toledoblade.com Latest News Headlines - toledoblade.com --

Avoid unhealthy fats

By kschive

Remove trans fats from your diet. Scientific evidence shows that consumption of saturated fat, trans fat, and dietary cholesterol raises low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad cholesterol” levels, which increases the risk of coronary ...

getfit@mit 2007 - HOME - getfit@mit 2007

The 10 worst trans fats foods

By Bethany Sanders

But there are a few surprises on the list as well, food that you may not think contain large amounts of trans fats. For instance, flavored coffee drinks, which my husband adores, are a big offender. So are soups, even ramen noodles. ...

That's Fit - That's Fit

Severe dieting makes you drunk! PEOPLE on very l...

By jonjayray(jonjayray)

For one summary of the weak science behind the "trans-fat" hysteria, see here. Trans fats have only a temporary effect on blood chemistry and the evidence of lasting harm from them is dubious. By taking extreme groups in trans fats ...

Food &Health Skeptic - Food &Health Skeptic

Your Oil Contains No Trans Fats, So What?

By gingerbrackett

Period. Saturated fats and trans fats are the main dietary factors in raising blood cholesterol. The main sources of saturated fat in the typical American diet are foods from animals and some plants, such as our friend the coconut. ...

Healthbolt - - Healthbolt

Mike’s trans fat free recipe

By Mike

A federal law that took effect last year states that if a product has 0.5g or more of trans fat per serving, the amount has to go on the food label and the food can’t be called trans fat-free, even if butter is the only fat. ...

Okiedoke - Okiedoke - Vintage Okie opinion

Trans fat ban coming to Australia? - Update

By [email protected] (Sally Lakeman)

It appears that the fast food industry has agreed to try and reduce the use of trans fats and look for alternatives. They have been asked to do this by September. The Government is not imposing bans at this stage opting instead to go ...

Interactive Health - Information... - Interactive Health - Information on Health and Technology

The Danger of Convenience: Birds Eye Steamfresh Frozen Vegetables

By Alanna(Alanna)

To avoid trans fats, always read the fine printEarlier this week I picked up bags of the Steamfresh cauliflower and the Steamfresh beans, just to check. Talk about convenient: just pop the whole bag into the microwave for 4 - 6 minutes, ...

A Veggie Venture - http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/index.html

Vermont Trans Fat Ban Proposed

Vermont could follow in New York City's footsteps in passing legislation that would ban restaurants and other eateries from preparing and serving food that contains trans fats.

Jeremy Ryan - Ron Paul formally Announces Run for President

Putting it simply:

Why have trans-fats if it potentially can kill someone who eats the foods it contains.

( It's one of the worst hence why it's trying to be banned, there are many other things that could be banned, but this one is for discussion to don't compare :fluffy: )

I see your point, but missions such as these aim to annihilate one thing at a time. :turtle:

Trans fats suck and have known to be Suculus for quite some time. Our eager eye for detail, thank you FDA, has led way for a brash influx of new ideas. These will be detailed in the frothcoming: 12-DC-11176-GAFES-Covenant-Regulations.txt

I hate McD!

nibble...nibble...this beef jerky is good!

errrrmmmm....

• 2 weeks later...

A good trans fat????

A Good Trans Fat - Conjugated Linoleic Acid

A Good Trans Fat:

Conjugated Linoleic Acid

Written by Gloria Tsang R.D.

Published in March 2007

Not all trans fats are bad! The naturally-occurring trans fat conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) may offer health benefits. Naturally found in beef, lamb and dairy products (full fat), conjugated linoleic acid has been studied for its potential role in weight loss and osteoporosis prevention.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Pgrmdave: The government has no business telling me what to eat and what not to eat. If I want to eat trans-fats, I should be able to.

Seeing as it is the government and the taxpayer that is paying for all the people who ruin their health, (at least in countries such as the U.K which have free healthcare) I think that they do have a right. The majority of taxpayers don't want to pay for people who ruin their health in this way, and a lot of money could be saved by banning them. It might not stop people using them, and you might have to pay a bit to treat people who still eat them, but it will be far cheaper than letting several millions of people ruin their health so quickly.

The government has banned cocaine... does that keep people from using it, or does their common sense?

Just because somebody does something stupid once, does not mean that they deserve to be condemned to ruining their lives. People who have lived sheltered lives and who offer advice from the comfort of their armchairs have no right to label others as being "irresponsible."

Anything which is particularly bad for the health should be banned, (save the taxpayer money) and anyone who uses it nevertheless offered treatment. (Only once, but most decent people will only need helping once.)