Science Forums

Free, clean, and unlimited energy

lessthanadam

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, (I haven't been here in over a year!) but I found this interesting enough to dig up my old account and post it here.

w*ww.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

I'm not allowed to post links)

A company called Steorn claims:

"We have developed a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy.

This means never having to recharge your phone, never having to refuel your car. A world with an infinite supply of clean energy for all.

Our technology has been independently validated by engineers and scientists - always off the record, always proven to work."

Of course, this goes against the Principle of the Conservation of Energy. Yahoo did an article on it.

*ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060818/sc_afp/irelandscienceenergy_060818141011

Sean McCarthy, Steorn's chief executive officer, said they had issued the challenge for 12 physicists to rigorously test the technology so it can be developed.

"What we have developed is a way to construct magnetic fields so that when you travel round the magnetic fields, starting and stopping at the same position, you have gained energy," McCarthy said.

"The energy isn't being converted from any other source such as the energy within the magnet. It's literally created. Once the technology operates it provides a constant stream of clean energy," he told Ireland's RTE radio.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno but in order to stop and start something it takes energy to do both and that will withdraw from the system.

There isnt much of a description so I dunno.

Hope it works..

It is so difficult to get anything like this out there. Many great ideas are continually shut down because of the obvious corruption in the government and system.

Got anymore on this?

I saw a program a while back about something similar to this. If memory serves, the "scientist" said that the ability to create energy without burning fuel had been known for about 100 years. But government hid it because of the huge amounts of money that would be lost. I don't really recall the mechanics of what he was describing, probably because he didn't describe it very well. I'm sure it involved using magnets, and that the generator would create the energy to run itself or something..:cup:

It seemed moderately interesting, until he started talking about UFO's being warships created by Germany and the US during WW2. These ships also created their own energy with which to operate.

It was about that time in the program that I decided I had more constructive things to do. Counting the hairs on the back of your hand sure is dull.

It will always be skeptical to change the Laws of Physics, but you never know, this is getting a lot of publicity in Ireland, therefore it just might be genuine. I don't really understand the implications of making free energy, it will probably cost us anyway.

What effects would it make to have free energy production?

I smell a rat...

Been to the website, and nowhere at all do they even hint at how this magical machine is supposed to work.

What they've done is to put a counter on the front page, saying how long since the challenge to scientists have been posted, without any serious scientist taking them up on it. This gives credence to their claim, seeing as they have now put the burden of proof on the scientists to disprove their claim.

And serious scientists, of course, will not test any technology that creates energy out of nothing. Perpetual motion devices have been claimed for thousands of years - none of them have succeeded in their wild claims. A scientist falling for this will make himself the laughing stock of the scientific community. This is also why

Those who were prepared to complete testing have all confirmed our claims; however none will publicly go on record.

They cannot name anybody with any credibility in the scientific community who support this, so they go the vague route of the above quote, with which you could basically support anything.

The moment scientists agree to the testing of a 'perpetual motion' machine as they claim, the floodgates of loonies with all kinds of wacky machines will open, none of which work.

Busting up the Second Law of Thermodynamics will take more than a few Irish guys making wild claims.

I think this might be a publicity stunt, or even a web research project to see how gullible people can be.

Why not? Energy supposedly can never be created from nothing? what about the Big Bang? If I had created something like this, I wouldn't give much information out either for fear of someone trying to steal my invention. I say their claim should be tested and if it's just a hoax, then punish them financially somehow for making a publicity stunt out of it. But claims like this should never be brushed off.

We think we are smart and understand physics (I sure don't), just like our ancestors thought they were smart thinking the world was flat! Someone made a crazy claim that the earth was round! Are they insane! or just making a publicity stunt.

You should always remain skeptical, otherwise, you may be the one who looks like the idiot later.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...