Science Forums

Vampires: Fact or Fiction

Are there truly such things as vampires?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are there truly such things as vampires?

• yes
    • no

We have all heard about the famous blood sucker Dracula, we have considered vampires to be fictional creatures which Bram Stoker created many years ago. But are these creatures truly just a figment of our imagination? Stories of these "vampires" stretch back to before the middle ages. Legendary warriors would drink the blood of there enemy to gain there strength, and there knowledge.

Here in the United States, vampiric cults are found all over the country. Parties are held, where people drink each others blood.

So how fictional are these creatures? I leave it for you to decide!

Colin Wilson had some story about vampires being ghosts who maintain their etheric energy/body by attaching themselves to and absorbing the energy from, the living. His story was a little odd, it concerned a victim who had aquired a vampire by practicing necrophilia on WWI battlefield corpses, not an everyday situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Things are only as real as your perpective lets them be.

Good suggestion.....I suppose the question is so broad, you can answer yes with ideas like that in mind.

Although, in real life, because you have dreams, in that sense their real whereas in film, there fictions, never thought of it in terms of that as fundamantal as it sounds.

hmmm so you believe that your dreams make them real, and when you awake they are once again fictional beings?

When you are in the sense of dreaming at that particular moment, you sense that the vampire trying to bite your neck in actually real.

However, dreaming and real life are different and I wouldn't come to the claim that they are fiction after dreaming because :

" Fiction is the act of imagining ", but in dreaming sense, the imagining is real, can't be controlled, it's like another world.

So if Fiction = Imagining

Real Life = Fiction ( Because that's where it comes from )

Real Life = Imagining ( If you cancel out the fictions )

In our own world, we can suggest that vampires are fiction, but in the imaginary world, they are fact at that sense.

Funny

yesterday I finished reading a great book by Elizabeth Knox called Daylight.(Knox wrote The Vintner's Dream)

A fantastic read, bizarre and riveting. I could't put it down especially when I figured out she was talking about vampires.

I watch Buffy (v. funny script) but normally wouldn't go out of my way to read a Vampire book.

There are, of course, Vampire animals that suck blood, so I nearly answered yes to the survey, but I figured you meant the human kind so I said no.

But.. . after reading Daylight. . .

what got me hooked on the whole vampire theory was Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

Then I watched a show on the history channel call Vampires: fact or fiction. It showed people that actually drink blood, but it is like an aphrodisiac. Then the show talked about a man who slayed 10 people and drunk there blood.

What would people like these be called? At first I thought to call them cannibals, but they do not eat other humans, they just... drink their blood.