Ultimate cosmology quiz

BrainForce

Do you like Quizzing?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like Quizzing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't say

yay for me! And i didnt fully guess that one.. I only knew the Roche limit, not the guys name :shrug:

What is the point of the SETI protocol?

I think you are good at guessing.:) Now yours question.

SETI stands for Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence. So, SETI protocol refers to the protocol used in its search/activities.

SETI organisation has many members. Members dedicate their computer's resource. Data is collected by the satellites. This data is processed for any artificial signal that might be created by other intelligence life using computer's resource of its members. SETI protocol refers to that. Is that correct?

no sorry, Hint: its not the actually physical collecting of the data, its a protocol of what to do if a certain finding is made when analysing the data..

so what finding is it,

Alien transmission received...........

and what must one do once this finding is made?
Not really sure about the answer to this so I'll just hazard a quess: Notify the president.......???

correct on the recieving of an alien transmission, but quite the opposite on the protocol to be followed there-after!

Ok this question was a little mean, I wasnt looking for an answer as specific as follows, but here is the full answer:

In 1989 all the people who conduct searches in SETI signed an agreement. It states:

1. Verify, as best as possible, that the signal is really from an extra-terrestrial intelligence before making any announcements.

2. Prior to making a public announcement one must

a) inform all others who signed the declaration

B) monitor the signal continuously

c) make no announcement until there is agreement that the signal is real

d) then the discoverer informs all astronomical and governmental authorities

3. Inform all astronomers via the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams (run by the IAU)

4. Inform the rest of the world via

a) Secretary General of the UN

B) International Telecommunications Union

c) Committee on Space Research

5. A confirmed detection should be disseminated "promptly, openly and widely through the scientific channels and public media". The discoverer has the privilege of making the first public announcment.

6. All data is made available to astronomers

7. The signal is monitored and recorded continuously and all data is available to everyone (kinda makes 6 redundant :beer:

8. If the detection is in the EM spectrum we must keep that frequency free from interference

9. No response shall be sent until appropriate international consultations have taken place. (A seperate document discusses this)

10. An international committee of experts will act as the focal point for continuing analysis and observations.

Note that the government are not the first to know, and they find out at the same time as all astronomical authorities, this is designed to eliminate the possibility of a cover up!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now solve this problem:confused:

The Chandrashekhar limit when multiplied by tilt angle of uranus gives us a number ,when this number is divided by diameter of ceres(approx.) gives us another number, the difference betweeen this number and hubble's constant is nearest to which prime number ?

:read: Consider all the quantities as numbers only , with no units.