Ultimate cosmology quiz

BrainForce

Do you like Quizzing?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like Quizzing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't say

isnt retrograding just spinning in the opposite direction to its orbital direction, ie instead of clockwise orbit with clockwise spin, it has clockwise orbit and counter-clockwise spin.

NO!!! It is not that at all. Retrograde motion is an "apparent" motion, not a physical motion. The term is often mis-applied.

Consider that Mercury orbits the Sun counterclockwise as do all the planets. As we look from Earth to Mercury's path it appears to move left-to-right as it orbits the Sun on OUR side of the Sun, but when it begins to orbit round the back side, the apparent motion from Earth is right-to-left. This apparent reverse is retrograde motion.

will someone give answer -:

What caused Giant planets to incline ? Does this concept differ from that of small planets.

u all have coagulated on that question only.

The answer is no; it is no different. Those with orientations significantly different from the mean as I understand current theory, resulted from collision events.

Hope this clots the laceration. :beer:

According to recent theory giant planets inclined by gravitatinal forces and not by collisions,while the smalll planets are found to be inclined by collisions.

you yourself how can such massive bodies get perturbed by minor collisions, even if they have collisions with much bigger bodies and the result will be catastrophic and will lead only to disintegration and not inclination.

well, u tried it its ur turn to put up a question.

:) Can anyone tell me what dark energy and dark matter are? I know scientists are trying to define it correctly. But if they do not what it is , how did they came to know about it? What is dark about it?:)

Open up a separate thread and ask it there. You'll be free to discuss it endlessly there, away from the hustle and bustle of this quiz thread.

:hihi: Well ronthepon welcome to this thread and :hihi: thanks for guiding pandeyji in the right direction.

;) Now time for apple problem-:

this is a riddling one and hope u will enjoy :) Timely hints will be given also.

There is an angle ,angle is nearly equal to the difference (please round off the angle difference) between the angle of tilt (axis tilt) of certain two planets, out of planets one is jovian and other is terrestial, one is hottest and the other have a sattelite named after an ice hockey object.

Find the sine of angle which i am talking about.

so you want the sine of the angle of the difference between the axial tilts of two planets (the planets being specified by your riddle)? Great idea for a riddle (because it has multiple parts), though a little easier said if I am correct.

I'm happy to paraphrase in English for you, since I realize you probably don't speak English as a first language.

Uranus and Venus are the two planets. Puck being the ice hockey object is a moon of Uranus and Venus is the hottest.

Uranus tilt = 97.9 (i'm going to assume we aren't concerned about direction (+/-) but mean tilt.

Venus tilt=177

Sin(177-98) = 0.98

First guess was wrong. I said Mercury was hottest, but corrected myself. Venus is hottest on average.

I'm happy to paraphrase in English for you, since I realize you probably don't speak English as a first language.

You said it right i haven't any proficiency in english and my language skills are confined to make u understand only.

Your answer was correct & u rightly said that the question was a easy one.I just wanted to start with a easy one.

To talk about somethings albedo, is to talk about what property?

Albedo relates to property of reflectivity i.e. how much an object can reflect the electromagnetic radiation incident on it.

Ok! that's an albedo question -

The body with highest albedo in solar system has a planet ;how far is that planet from the farthest known planet of our solar system?