Science Forums

Obesity: Why are we getting fat? :epizza:

Maybe fatstep people should be warned about the side efects of these drugs and told they will need to do a lot more exercise (If this helps?- the drug may counter this?)

ALL IN THE MIND: The Zyprexa story

Saturday 3rd March 1.05 pm, Radio National

Pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly (makers of Prozac) has agreed to pay

upwards of 1.2 billion US dollars to nearly 30,000 patients who claim

their bestseller antipsychotic medication, Zyprexa (Olanzapine), has

caused diabetes, weight gain and other complications; and these risks

were downplayed.

Secret documents are leaked, the newspaper headlines

start screaming, and citizen journalists spread the word - but where is

the real advocacy for better drugs with fewer side effects?

All In The Mind

Leading products in 2003 global pharmaceutical sales

Zyprexa was number 3 top selling drug for sales in 2003 with nearly 5 Billion $ in sales

IMS Health - Pharmaceutical market intelligence

• 4 weeks later...

Although America seems to be the leader in obesity at the moment. I think it's important to realise that they are more advanced than us or ahead of us and live the busy lifestyle where getting the obesefood is easier than making it as time is important.

This busy lifestyle is now moving east to Europe where we are becoming more urbanised, busy and our lifestyles are now changing much like Americas. So I have noticed a stark increase in obese people in Europe and it now covers the media a lot today too. So if America adopts good policies, these may come across to Europe too.

It's important to take action as quickly as possible considering this.

Maybe some are getting fatter because they remember being told 20 years ago there was an Ice-age coming, so a few extra layers of fat should help out a bit - (tongue in cheek that..).

Seriously though as some pointed out earlier in the thread there is a relationship to intake/output. One point I have pondered (but not yet seen expressed elsewhere), is the possibility that modern clothing is more efficient at retaining heat, this must result in less escaping, couple that to the increase in centrally heated homes, better insulation and maybe this has an influence to some degree (but I would NOT suggest it as the complete cause).

I arrived at this remarkable hypothesis by comparing the food intake of cold and warm blooded animals - it seems most of our calorific intake is used merely to keep the body temperature normal, - Not my field though and I've not seriously studied it, so it could be a crap contribution.

Why are we getting fat... the powerful pursuasion of advertising on kids, and perhaps parents giving in to their kid's demands for junk food just to stop the nagging...

An expert in population health has told a conference in Adelaide that a ban on junk food advertising on television is the most effective way to tackle childhood obesity.

Ban junk food ads to stop childhood obesity, health expert says. 13/03/2007. ABC News Online

Childhood obesity rates have tripled since 1985, mirrored by increases in consumption of energy-dense foods. Energy-dense food advertising is ubiquitous in children’s television programming, but children’s ability to perceive the commercial intent of advertisements only emerges gradually as a function of age. Until such time, children are trusting, and hence vulnerable, to food advertising, influencing their desires and purchase requests to parents

The average estimate suggests 10 (range 9-12) food advertisements appear per hour on Australian children’s television, with 80% (range 74-99%) of

these being for energy-dense foods such as fast foods, softdrinks, lollies, icecream, chocolates, and snack foods.

It has been estimated that children influence their parents in the choice of snack food purchase and fast food restaurant patronage in around 75% of occasions, with children exposed to television advertisements being more likely to be involved in conflict with their parents when making such choices.103-105 This is labelled variously within marketing books as the ‘nag factor’, ‘pester power’ or ‘kidfluence’.

PDF: http://www.cbrcc.curtin.edu.au/reports/journal%20articles/hpja%2017%205-11.pdf

Britain has already banned junk food advertising in programs for children 7-9 years old and by next year aims to ban advertising in all programs aimed at kids under 16:

Children are the biggest losers from junk food ads | Errol Simper | The Australian

Being fat or obese is just an arifact of an improper energy balance. If one comsumes more energy that they expend they will store the extra energy as fat. It is as simple as that. For example, if one assumes a virus can turn cells into fat cell, the fat in all these new fat cells, does not appear out of the sky. The energy equivilent needs to be inputted through the mouth. Even if obesity was genetic and involved absorption, faster conversion of fat, whatever, one still has to do an energy balance, since one can not create something out of nothing, or this would be perpetual motion.

The reality is food and eating is one of the most enjoyable things to do, with all the variety of food making it even more fun. Whatever, the body has in it that causes one person to get fatter compared to another, the accumulation of fat requires one input more food energy value than they output. One cannot form something of energy value from nothing. The only real solution is to limit input or increase output so there is no extra calories to feed the fat cells.

What everyone wants is to input as much tasty food as they can stuff down their pie holes and remain one weight. They are willing to take drugs, viruses or gene therapy that may cause side affects, to do this. They will also undergo surgical proceudures to by-pass the gut, or whatever, as long as they can input all the energy their pie hole can consume, without the logical cause and affect relationship. Wishful thinking is much better for fairy tales and creating demand.

The question should be, how does one help a person balance their input-output so they can reach a compromise steady state, without artificial additives. The goal doesn't have to be skinny, just healthy. One way, is to exchange one vice for another, to help pick up some of the potential caused by focusing to much vice potential on eating. For example, the seven deadly sins are pride, envy, anger, avarice, sadness, gluttony, and lust. Often the combo of sadness and gluttony can lead to obsesity. Maybe one needs to replace sadness with anger, to get a different result. You will eat for different reasons and burn more calories. One should try to avoid the "seven deadly sins" but if culture allows one or two, and you want to run with the herd, mix them up a little.

Why are we getting fat... the powerful pursuasion of advertising on kids, and perhaps parents giving in to their kid's demands for junk food just to stop the nagging...

I think children are the biggest losers with junk food. Just at the time when they are growing so quickly and developing, we are giving, or allowing, them the worst food and nutrition and encouraging habits which will damage a lifetime.

I think children are the biggest losers with junk food. Just at the time when they are growing so quickly and developing, we are giving, or allowing, them the worst food and nutrition and encouraging habits which will damage a lifetime.

On the weekend I saw a young girl, about 8 years old, who was *very* overweight. And where did I see her? Going into a Hungry Jacks with her Dad. Parents... :naughty:

Bad parenting or child abuse? | Herald Sun

Here's a reason why many people claim Americans are getting fat!: :naughty:

The Week in Pictures

:turtle:

Loved it!

I used to try to do that with my Afghans (dogs not people)

You could never tire them out!

Something to Chew On

by WiredBerries Editors

Your mom always told you to chew your food slowly, but now a study from the University of Rhode Island has confirmed that slow eating may also help you lose weight:

chewing each mouthful 15 to 20 times also makes a meal more enjoyable and leaves you with a feeling of fullness for a longer time.

Researchers gave 30 college-aged women large plates of pasta and told them to eat as much as they wanted. When the participants were asked to eat quickly, they consumed 646 calories in 9 minutes.

But when they were told to slow down and chew the food 15 to 20 times, their calorie consumption dropped to an average of 579 calories in 29 minutes. For more good advice on shedding pounds, listen to our podcast with the authors of The Skinny: How to Fit into Your Little Black Dress Forever.

lost link, sorry, google it

On the weekend I saw a young girl, about 8 years old, who was *very* overweight. And where did I see her? Going into a Hungry Jacks with her Dad. Parents... :)

Bad parenting or child abuse? | Herald Sun

Uh oh. Unfortunately, it's a relatively common occurrence here in the USA (unless one lives in southern California, where people are obsessed with looks and fitness). I'm not sure about Australia in general. When I was going to elementary school, I remember that very few kids were overweight or obese. Now, when I drive past my old elementary school, it's entirely different. I think some of the kids ate the other ones.:)

I don't like to eat fast food. It always seems too salty, blackened, oily, or unrecognizable and possibly radioactive.

I find it a little hard to believe that the boy in the news story does not like any fruits or vegetables. Have his parents ever thought about cooking the foods differently or tried to make meals more tasty? I know a lady, a family friend, who has a boy that doesn't like to eat vegetables or fruits either, but whenever we cook for them, her son cannot leave one bit of broccoli or cabbage alone. A little taste goes a long way.

Here's just another image of why americans would be considered getting fat, this one is quite funny, you won't get it until the top of the image loads up!!

Stairmaster at this Gym

:)LJP07

:) ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Obesity in the Genes?

Common Variation in FTO Gene May Make Obesity More Likely

By Miranda Hitti

WebMD Medical News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

April 12, 2007 -- Researchers today announced the discovery of the first common gene link to obesity.

They reviewed genetic data on more than 38,000 children and adults in the U.K. and Europe. A certain variation in the FTO gene was associated extra body fat, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.

Other studies show there are genetic links to obesity. But "the key thing about this finding is that this is a common variant, which is present in over half the population" studied, Andrew Hattersley, DM, FRCP, told reporters in a news conference.

Hattersley is a professor of molecular medicine at Peninsula Medical School in Exeter, England.

Lifestyle Still Counts

The finding sheds new light on the genetics of obesity. But diet and exercise still count, notes researcher Timothy Frayling, PhD, tells WebMD.

"However," Frayling says, "we all know people who are careful with their diets and take regular exercise but still cannot avoid putting on weight as they get older, whilst conversely there are people who are not very careful and remain slim.

"It is these types of differences that are likely to have a genetic component and our finding represents one of those genes," says Frayling.

Obesity Gene Study

The researchers noticed the FTO gene variation when they screened the genes of nearly 2,000 diabetes patients and almost 3,000 people without diabetes in the U.K.

Participants with diabetes were more likely to have a certain FTO gene variation, which was also associated with a higher level of body fat and higher BMI (body mass index).

Next, the scientists reviewed gene data from an additional 35,000 European participants in 13 studies.

One in six participants had two copies of the FTO gene variation. They had, on average, nearly 7 pounds of extra weight, compared with those with no copies of the FTO gene variation.

"This increases the risk of obesity by approximately 67% and type 2 diabetes by about 40%," says Frayling.

The FTO gene variation was linked to extra pounds in participants as young as 7 years old but didn't appear to influence fetal weight.

Obesity in the Genes?

Twins are not as identical as we first thought. (see Darwin revisited thread)

Just as there is no such thing as a 100% identical clone. The in utero environment can be very different. Do you know if you were in the same amniotic sack or two different ones?

Still you have a point.

Fast Food

Who's reality?

Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality

Twins are not as identical as we first thought. (see Darwin revisited thread)

Just as there is no such thing as a 100% identical clone. The in utero environment can be very different. Do you know if you were in the same amniotic sack or two different ones?

Still you have a point.

Hello Michaelangelica,

I'd say we were in the same sack. We looked the same up until the end of high school and we even sound the same (over the phone to people I have not met before).

Here is a different point of view from the NY Times again.

"You are what you grow"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1177333258-kvLCCO4WQn9OLQy6+Zt1zw

That’s because the current farm bill helps commodity farmers by cutting them a check based on how many bushels they can grow, rather than, say, by supporting prices and limiting production, as farm bills once did.

The result?

A food system awash in added sugars (derived from corn) and added fats (derived mainly from soy), as well as dirt-cheap meat and milk (derived from both). By comparison, the farm bill does almost nothing to support farmers growing fresh produce.

A result of these policy choices is on stark display in your supermarket, where the real price of fruits and vegetables between 1985 and 2000 increased by nearly 40 percent while the real price of soft drinks (a k a liquid corn) declined by 23 percent.

The reason the least healthful calories in the supermarket are the cheapest is that those are the ones the farm bill encourages farmers to grow.

. . .

A public-health researcher from Mars might legitimately wonder why a nation faced with what its surgeon general has called “an epidemic” of obesity would at the same time be in the business of subsidizing the production of high-fructose corn syrup.

I think people are just trying to make up excuses... I honestly don't think a wide-spread virus is the cause of all of this... People are leading easier lifestyles. We have machines to do everything for us, food is ALWAYS readily available in modern society, and on top of all that people just don't get out like they used to. I keep the weight off by swimming. I swim every day at an extreme level for about 2 hours. Sure I intake probably 10,000 calories a day:shrug: and I burn it all off. It's not hard to do. It takes a little bit of initiative and some patience, but it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

A big problem is pain; or the absence thereof. No pain, no gain; and in today's society where anything that causes pain is being slowly weeded out of our lives, people have never learned to deal with pain. They don't realize their true pain threshold. And so they think they're killing themselves when in reality they are barely trying!

Solutions? Bring back the paddle... that'll motivate those lazy whelps. :shrug:

Society needs to quit making excuses and see what's what,

IMAMONKEY!