Science Forums

Obesity: Why are we getting fat? :epizza:

I enjoy the gourmet salads as well, but not the price. Check out your local produce purveyor selling to restaurants, institutions, etc. Most times, they will sell directly to the individual on a walk in basis. The price is considerably cheaper and the product is fresh. They also offer a variety of specialty items that you cannot find in grocery stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Obesity: Levels Hit Plateau for The First Time in Decades

Finally some headway in the fight against childhood obesity. For the first time in nearly three decades, the epidemic may be leveling off.

Obesity: Levels Hit Plateau for The First Time in Decades - The Year in Medicine 2008 - TIME

AND

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1860289_1859823_1859851,00.html

AND

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1860289_1859823_1859834,00.html

• 4 weeks later...
getting back to obesity and viral causes - last semester one of my professors said that when in doubt about a cause of disease blame the virus (apparently quite common in the field)- it can't be proven yet keeps everyone happy till the actual cause is found.....

He could be right

However that kind of close minded and dismissive attitude will prevent him from examining the evidence

FIGHTING OBESITY

The hot word in obesity for this year is "leptin." When the connection between this hormone and weight loss was first discovered in 1994, researchers helped fat, overfed lab mice stay slim.

And they believed they could do with people what they did with mice: inject some leptin, and kiss pounds goodbye.

Humans, it turned out, were more complicated.

When they lost weight, their bodies became stingier with calories consumed and more efficient in retaining existing weight. Not willing to give up on leptin, scientists at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City started looking at the hormone as a possible weight-loss-maintenance drug.

They discovered through scans that brain activity in areas connected to restraint and control declines after weight loss. Hike leptin levels, however, and those brain areas become more active.

Researchers now see new possibilities for leptin in long-term weight control.

Video at site

What Will '09 Bring In Medicine?, Expert On Likely Directions In Treatment Of Obesity, Cancer, Infections, Brain Diseases, And Aging Skin - CBS News

Medications or substances causing Weight gain:

The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Weight gain as a symptom.

This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.

Medications causing Weight gain - WrongDiagnosis.com

herbal or alternative treatments

Bitter herbs (wormwood, Quassia, etc) or herbal bitters are said to stimulate appetite. Also Mary Jane of course.

Mirtazapine

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):

• constipation

• increased appetite

• weight gain

Mirtazapine: Information from Answers.com

You won't find the words "obesity' or "fat' in drug company side-effects information.

Try 'weight gain'

getting back to obesity and viral causes - last semester one of my professors said that when in doubt about a cause of disease blame the virus (apparently quite common in the field)- it can't be proven yet keeps everyone happy till the actual cause is found.....

If you consider laziness a disease. :)

Its a psychological disease caused by mental addiction to playing video games and eating unhealthy snacks!!

F* that!

Call a spade a spade..

You don't exercise, and you consume to0 many calories.

Point Blank ! *bang*

i'M SICK OF THIS

Here are the solutions to Obesity:

Eat Less (calorically speaking)

Exercise More

Lap Band Surgery

Crytal Meth

Its not complicated. Its basic math.

If you have the fat storing gene, then best you can do is to control it.. Which means daily exercise.

If you exercise every day, eat healthy, do/take what the doctor prescribes, and you can't lose wieght

Then just forget about it!! you'll get fat and die. we all die eventually.

Sorry Michael.. theres no Magic Bullet.

Get off your *** or die watching TV

i hope your remarks are sarcastic Racoon, not sure....

"eat less"- overweight people naturally eat less than those who are active and require constant fuel for energy

"exercise more" we all should- but when you fat around your heart, you should take it easy and slow to avoid a heart attack

"lap band surgery" all surgery has risks and that band can BREAK- this is not a viable solution and is only putting a bandaid on a gaping wound

"crystal meth" sure you could lose weight doing this, and your life, job, sanity, friends, cash, freedom...........

we all store fat, that is necessary to our bodies

to assess the the most effective weight loss plan, it is important to look at the individual , their needs, health problems, etc

there is no standard-we are all different

i hope your remarks are sarcastic Racoon, not sure....

"eat less"- overweight people naturally eat less than those who are active and require constant fuel for energy

"exercise more" we all should- but when you fat around your heart, you should take it easy and slow to avoid a heart attack

"lap band surgery" all surgery has risks and that band can BREAK- this is not a viable solution and is only putting a bandaid on a gaping wound

"crystal meth" sure you could lose weight doing this, and your life, job, sanity, friends, cash, freedom...........

we all store fat, that is necessary to our bodies

to assess the the most effective weight loss plan, it is important to look at the individual , their needs, health problems, etc

there is no standard-we are all different

I am not kidding, and I am being serious

Then what is the solution?

Either A, you exercise and burn calories more than you consume.

Or B you don't.. and gain weight.

There is no Wonder Cure or Special Pill.

Its all Very, very simple.

If you have a genetic problem, then you are in a very small minority.

Otherwise its modern living combined with Laziness

Lap Band surgery IS a legitimate surgical alternative. If you can't control the amount of food you shove though your pie hole, then it forces your stomach to!

Crystal Meth was obviously a slight joke. No way would I really think that wa s a good way to lose wight, But it has been proven to work if all eslse fails

you seem a little harsh and judgemental towards obese people.

You don't know what has driven them to over consume, if genetics was not a factor. A lonely child without friends or a parents concern may find comfort in chocolate and chips in front of the TV. There are many possible scenarios that could come into play, but disdain and contempt is not a good motivator for someone to change their eating habits and lifestyle.

Yes, burn more calories than consumed, but do it moderately to avoid risking a heart attack. Different types of bariatric surgery can certainly help, but there can be complications and side effects as well. If the symptom is out of control pie hole shoveling, then counseling and professional help would be a good idea in addition to a quality diet plan with exercise:)

you seem a little harsh and judgemental towards obese people.

You don't know what has driven them to over consume, if genetics was not a factor. A lonely child without friends or a parents concern may find comfort in chocolate and chips in front of the TV. There are many possible scenarios that could come into play, but disdain and contempt is not a good motivator for someone to change their eating habits and lifestyle.

Yes, burn more calories than consumed, but do it moderately to avoid risking a heart attack. Different types of bariatric surgery can certainly help, but there can be complications and side effects as well. If the symptom is out of control pie hole shoveling, then counseling and professional help would be a good idea in addition to a quality diet plan with exercise:)

I agree that it is more a social problem than something we should blame the individual for. Our commercialized, consumer-driven way of life leaves us without enough exercise and our pursuit-of-happiness ideology leads to less self-discipline and over-eating.

Still, I notice that there is a distinct class line between obese and not-obese. Poor people seem to be the fattest! Any statistics anyone?

With poor people, I take it you mean those who are not poor enough to be actually starving. They tend to have diets consisting mostly of starchy foods, which are cheaper than the variety of healthy foods stocked mostly in upmarket shops. Also, they are less likely to afford gyms or health clubs, or to buy workout apparatus. It has also been found (surprise, surprise!) that less attractive people (including many obese people) are less likely than their beautiful counterparts to find wealthy partners - even though they are not markedly less likely to get married.

I don't want to be an asshoole..

But Fat and Depressed is NO way to go throught Life for decades..

Make a decision to Not be that :D:D

Anything concerning YOU is about a predominant thought in your Mind! :thumbs_up

You are being one Racoon, it's so easy to say don't do that but it's much more difficult to impossible not to. Until you've walked the walk don't talk the talk.

you don't want to be an asshoole? no problem, i can help you with that. First, take that predominant thought in your mind and contemplate life without ashoolishness....with me so far? good,

now, look at yourself and determine how you can modify that genetically engineered orifice. Unfortunately, eating less and exercise will not help, may i suggest surgery?:thumbs_up